Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Balancing Your Wheels

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Balancing Your Wheels

Old 05-19-20, 08:13 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
This does speak volumes that TdF teams are not balancing wheels.
To really muddy the waters, consider that pros don't ride the bikes any of us ride which would lead me to believe they don't ride the wheels we ride, either. When you have to add weight to your bike to get it up to the UCI lower weight limit, there's something special about your bike that I can't get at my LBS. When a team like Trek / Seaafredo literally has a trailer full of Bontrager XXX race wheels for it's team, which are made with hand-laid carbon in Waterloo WI even when sold commercially, I'm willing to bet that balancing may be part of the equation before the team mechanic ever sees the wheels. (The wheel part is purely speculation on my part, but I do know that top racers don't ride the same bikes we do.)
Old 05-22-20, 08:16 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
This is at the moment, with not-the-lightest wheels and a porky cassette. Includes bottle cages, front and rear blinkies, computer mount, bell, power meter, and of course, pedals.

Riding weight adds 17oz saddle bag with tire (tubular), pump, levers, pliers, 3 allen wrenches, chain tool, valve extension, valve cores, quicklinks, patch kit, zip ties, tape, knife, paper & pencil, needle & thread, bandages, boot, etc., and usually one water bottle.

Here's the weigh-in with lighter (but still 11/34) cassette, 11 speed chain, and took 18g off the blinky mounting bracket, for reduction of 83g.

I'm gonna fly up those hills!

Old 05-22-20, 09:04 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
That's what the cards in the spokes are for.
Old 05-22-20, 11:09 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
My wheels and brakes on my tour custom are more than that. LOL
Same as my frame, fork, stem and rack was when I brought it home.
Old 07-15-21, 12:08 AM
hydrocarbon

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Not a bad idea for some circumstances. For mountain bikes, probably pointless... but not all bikes are the same.

I'm not going to fret about adding a few grams to my cargo bike wheel, because that bike — which has fat tires on 20" rims and steers by a control bar — can get a real nasty, violent speed wobble. It's slammed itself from side to side hard enough to lose directional control and rip through the seals, spraying oil all over the place in the process, plus the fork was permanently deformed and had to be replaced. Anything that helps mitigate this problem is worth trying.

Having also previously experienced speed wobble during a fast descent on a road bike, I'll be doing my road wheels too; seems well worth the few minutes of effort.
Old 07-15-21, 03:53 AM
hydrocarbon

Originally Posted by davidad
Here is the Late Jobst Brandt trying to educate an idiot. https://www.yarchive.net/bike/wheel_balancing.html
Just seems like a lot of speculation and pedantry to me. So which one is supposed to be the idiot?

Originally Posted by nomadmax
You lost me at "add weight". Especially to the wheels.
Dude it's 9 grams.

Last edited by hydrocarbon; 07-15-21 at 04:11 AM.
Old 07-15-21, 04:43 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
Originally Posted by hydrocarbon
Just seems like a lot of speculation and pedantry to me. So which one is supposed to be the idiot?
Quoting: "Brandt was responsible for six different patents and designed the suspension for one of the world's great supercars—the Porsche 911." He likely knew what he was talking about.
Old 07-15-21, 05:04 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Not a bad idea for some circumstances. For mountain bikes, probably pointless... but not all bikes are the same.

I'm not going to fret about adding a few grams to my cargo bike wheel, because that bike — which has fat tires on 20" rims and steers by a control bar — can get a real nasty, violent speed wobble. It's slammed itself from side to side hard enough to lose directional control and rip through the seals, spraying oil all over the place in the process, plus the fork was permanently deformed and had to be replaced. Anything that helps mitigate this problem is worth trying.

Having also previously experienced speed wobble during a fast descent on a road bike, I'll be doing my road wheels too; seems well worth the few minutes of effort.
That thing looks unique! Can you actually ride it as a bike or does it require a motor?
Old 07-15-21, 07:45 AM
hydrocarbon

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Quoting: "Brandt was responsible for six different patents and designed the suspension for one of the world's great supercars—the Porsche 911." He likely knew what he was talking about.
"That sounds reasonable except that the 150lb rider would not reach
nearly the speed of the 200lb rider, position and clothing being
equal. What differences did you observe on these runs?"
_
Yeah, I know who Jobst Brandt is. That claim is BS; the guy's far from infallible. Seems like this "I haven't personally experienced this on my own bike, therefore it doesn't exist" tunnel vision is affecting his judgement enough to cause real reaches of logic at times, and makes him come across as a bit of a pedantic dickhead.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
That thing looks unique! Can you actually ride it as a bike or does it require a motor?
You can ride it just fine on flats with the Bosch Cargo Line system off, and gravity is plenty for it to be absolutely amazing downhill — except for when the times when that front wheel starts shaking, which I'm hoping to sort out by balancing the wheel, upgrading the fork and installing a steering damper — but going up hills is absolutely brutal without the motor assistance. Good strength training, though.

Last edited by hydrocarbon; 07-15-21 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-15-21, 10:33 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Like most cargo bikes like that you can ride it sans motor but do I really want to, not really. The Loads are amazingly fun though, a full suspension cargo bike is super comfortable and great for the kids since they aren't going to be so jarred to death while riding and the parents aren't either. We sell them at the shop and I ride one frequently with child and adult passengers or to go pick up food or beverage for the shop sometimes. I would love to own one but I don't carry nearly enough to make it worth while my Supercharger2 is plenty for my needs.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-15-21, 11:08 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
If he wasn’t sued by Gary Klein for patent infringement he’s nobody… lol!

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 07-15-21, 11:43 PM
hydrocarbon

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Like most cargo bikes like that you can ride it sans motor but do I really want to, not really. The Loads are amazingly fun though, a full suspension cargo bike is super comfortable and great for the kids since they aren't going to be so jarred to death while riding and the parents aren't either. We sell them at the shop and I ride one frequently with child and adult passengers or to go pick up food or beverage for the shop sometimes. I would love to own one but I don't carry nearly enough to make it worth while my Supercharger2 is plenty for my needs.
Yeah, mine are permanently set to "Turbo" mode. It's so much more fun with boost.

The more I get the 60 tuned in, the less I ride my other bikes; I just love the way the big R&M handles; it tracks like it's on rails. I have a bike comparable to the Supercharger (modified Moustache X-Road FS 7) and I barely use it even for commuting and solo trips without cargo. There's just something addictive about the way the full-suspension cargo rig eats up road and trail. Try it with a decent air shock sometime!

The 75 is surprisingly agile too, but I'll take the 60 every time unless I really need that third seat or that extra 150 mm of cargo bed. Can't wait to get the speed-wobble issue sorted; the local Vespa garage should be able to do the proper dynamic-balancing job that this fat-tire/small-rim combo needs.
Old 07-16-21, 07:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Yeah, mine are permanently set to "Turbo" mode. It's so much more fun with boost.

The more I get the 60 tuned in, the less I ride my other bikes; I just love the way the big R&M handles; it tracks like it's on rails. I have a bike comparable to the Supercharger (modified Moustache X-Road FS 7) and I barely use it even for commuting and solo trips without cargo. There's just something addictive about the way the full-suspension cargo rig eats up road and trail. Try it with a decent air shock sometime!

The 75 is surprisingly agile too, but I'll take the 60 every time unless I really need that third seat or that extra 150 mm of cargo bed. Can't wait to get the speed-wobble issue sorted; the local Vespa garage should be able to do the proper dynamic-balancing job that this fat-tire/small-rim combo needs.
Hahaha. I do enjoy a bit of Turbo especially going to work.

Mine isn't full suspension it is a hardtail for FS you want the Delite. However yes semi similar but missing a battery and Rohloff. Still a cool bike though but I would rather have their tandem, always wanted a tandem and a Bosch equipped one could be quite fun especially if you could dual motor it somehow. Two Performance line speeds and 4 625wh batteries would just be insanity.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-17-21, 07:34 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
My bike has really wide rims (25mm internal width) so I'm not really too concerned with the lead weights interfering with the tire beads. Putting some rim tape over the weights seems like a reasonable alternative to epoxy.

I understand that an automotive tire is considerably heavier than a bicycle tire. However, when I pick-up my rear wheel and give the tire a good spin, it's very obvious the wheel isn't balanced... likely because my wheels came with these insanely long tubeless valve stems. One thing I'm going to do is buy much shorter valve stems and see what that does. I also have my speed sensor magnet on the opposite side of the valve stem, at least on my rear wheel, so maybe a lighter valve stem and the relatively heavy magnet will come 'close-enough' to balancing the rear wheel.
Have you determined which part of your rim and tire assembly is heaviest?

I worked as. shop mechanic during the age when everybody wanted a wheel magnet bike computer so I installed a lot of them. Naturally, I wanted to install the wheel magnet on the lightest part of the rim. What I discovered was that when I took a front wheel and let it rotate until it came to rest, the valve stem was almost always at the top.