Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

shoes with laces...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

shoes with laces...

Old 08-02-21, 10:14 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
shoes with laces...

once the argument about cycling hand signals is over can we start a new one over shoe laces vs velcro?

(disclaimer: my shoes have both)
Old 08-02-21, 10:51 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I have a pair of Giro MTB shoes that I bought at Performance Bike for use with my work commuter. They have laces, but include a velcro strap whose purpose is to tidy-up and hold your tied laces close to the shoe body.

One on-line reviewer of the shoe had complained that the velcro strap wasn't substantial enough to hold his foot, and that he had torn it. I wanted to explain that the strap wasn't intended to be part of the foot retention, but only as a shoelace retainer. Some people are just...ugh.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 08-02-21, 10:59 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
once the argument about cycling hand signals is over can we start a new one over shoe laces vs velcro?

Someone who is particular about overall shoe tightness might prefer laces. However, a good velcro strap system might be better for a tight and loose setup.

That said, I haven't used laced road shoes, other than the Avocet style, on my road bike. I've used velcro road shoes for decades and like the tight/loose variability especially loose in the toe box and tighter around the ankle.

I use laced hiking shoes with my mountain bikes that have platform pedals; also on my town bike.

Another rapidly diminishing, or already diminished, area has to do with clipless or toe clips/straps when it comes to laces vs. velcro. For people living in the past and still using toe clips and straps, I think there is a preference for laced shoes for easy removal. Since I've only used velcro road shoes with toe clips/straps I have not found it to be an issue.

John
Old 08-02-21, 11:30 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
All of my shoes and boots have laces. I don't own any footwear with velcro.
Old 08-02-21, 11:36 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts

Don't leave Boas out of the conversation - what are we, plebes?!

I do really want a pair of Lake CX1 - if they were to bring them back in the Ronald McDonald red (or at least white with red zig-zag), I'd be all over 'em. Still might pick up a white/black variant with the proper sale incentive.
Old 08-02-21, 11:37 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
once the argument about cycling hand signals is over can we start a new one over shoe laces vs velcro? (disclaimer: my shoes have both)
lol mine too, a real head scratcher & a bit annoying
Old 08-02-21, 11:41 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Velcro and ratchet straps for me. I am looking into some cycling shoes with laces so I can use the Dyna Drive pedals on my 1982 Lotus as originally intended.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-02-21, 11:50 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Boa ftw
Likes For Rolla:
Old 08-02-21, 12:13 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Velco, haha.

My first ever pair of bike shoes were some Giant branded combo velcro and ratchet strap. They did not age well. The velcro was nearly worthless other than "the shoe is on your foot" or "not on your foot" and the ratchet was just uncomfortable.

I own a pair of lower end Fizik shoes with the single Boa and then a weird velcro piece near the toe box. That velcro piece literally feels like it does nothing for tightening or retention.

All my Giro lace pairs of shoes? Feel the most secure. Just over-tighten while your feet are larger before blood starts circulating while riding, then they're just right. I have the SLX, some ACC's, and the VR90's.

If I went Boa again it would be a double Boa setup. The single Boa on the Fiziks pinch the top of my foot a bit it feels like.

Velcro is for triathletes that don't know to replace laces with "speed laces" in their bike shoes.
Old 08-02-21, 12:17 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
I tuck my laces into my shoe(s).
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-02-21, 12:21 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 262 Posts
I'm currently using New Balance half boot lace ups. I just let the laces hang where ever they land. It hasn't been a problem for the Gates belt.
Old 08-02-21, 12:32 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

The Sidis I recently bought have 'high security velcro", which is basically velcro with plastic thingies on both sides that keep the velcro from slipping. It works, but I think the ratchet strap is doing the lion's share of the work.

Old 08-02-21, 12:34 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
I had a pair of lace-up shoes once, and even though I had tucked the laces into the shoe, they came out and got caught in between the chain and chainring. That resulted in pulling the lace until my shoe was extremely tight, and ripping the lace to shreds. Now I won't ride a pair of lace-up shoes unless they have a velcro strap or cover for the laces.
Old 08-02-21, 12:37 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
Laces.

"Wait, you can't adjust them on the bike."

Those people must not know how to perform the finger/thumb insertion/yank. It works on all types/brands of shoes with laces.

Last edited by seypat; 08-02-21 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-02-21, 12:40 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
I also tucked the lace ends into the shoe until one day my left shoe came untied and the lace wrapped around the pedal hub, with the result that the shoe tightened around my foot and became locked onto the pedal by the lace. I managed to stop OK and spent some time working the shoe loose enough to get my foot out while tied to the bike by one foot. The laces are considerably shorter now.
Likes For MNebiker:
Old 08-02-21, 01:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Remember Carnac shoes? Made from Kangaroo leather. I loved the LeMond model. Laces with a Velcro strap across them. My understanding is that LeMond would only license his name for the shoe it is had laces.

Current touring/commuting shoes have laces. Road shoes are Sidi with the closure pictured above.
Old 08-02-21, 01:49 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
My previous Pearl Izumi X-alps something or other have thin cord that slides real easily through the eyelets and a clip you had to release to adjust the tension. Two handed though unless you just wanted to relieve the tension. Any way it worked great I didn't have to pull on the laces at each eyelet to even out the feel when I tightened or loosened them.

Just bought a pair of Sidi MTB Gravel shoes and they really comfortable. Haven't done a long ride with them yet but maybe tomorrow if it doesn't rain all morning like today. They have a single BOA and very easy to both loosen and tighten with one hand. Even while on the bike and moving. The monofilament or whatever the BOA is just slips easily through the eyelets and just flexing your toes or instep evens things out even more.

https://www.sidi.com/en/mtb/400-mtb-gravel.html

As for velcro fasteners, never liked them on a shoe. I had some walking shoes with them once. Maybe the previous century. Maybe they were bad shoes altogether and that's why I'm so down on velcro for shoes.

For me the BOA is worth every additional penny.
Old 08-02-21, 02:02 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Try not to let your shoelace get caught between the chain and chainring.
Old 08-02-21, 02:10 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I've had laces before going clipless (which was a recent conversion a few years ago).

I found the laces on casual shoes always a pain that they inevitably got tangled in the pedals. Although, perhaps that was an issue with rat traps, longer laces, and casual shoes which wouldn't be as big of an issue with clipless.

Nonetheless, most everything now has velcro, or velcro + ratchets. I do have a couple of boas, but don't really like them.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 08-02-21, 02:49 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Remember Carnac shoes? Made from Kangaroo leather. I loved the LeMond model. Laces with a Velcro strap across them. My understanding is that LeMond would only license his name for the shoe it is had laces.

Current touring/commuting shoes have laces. Road shoes are Sidi with the closure pictured above.
Were they Magnificent?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-02-21, 02:51 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
I hadn't thought of this till now. ($40+ years) Memories flooding back.
If you have long laces, You could wrap them around the bottom of your shoes once before you tie them like we did with our baseball cleats WBITD.
Likes For seypat:
Old 08-02-21, 03:06 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 262 Posts
I had a pair of lace-up shoes once, and even though I had tucked the laces into the shoe, they came out and got caught in between the chain and chainring. That resulted in pulling the lace until my shoe was extremely tight, and ripping the lace to shreds. Now I won't ride a pair of lace-up shoes unless they have a velcro strap or cover for the laces.
It has been along time since I had the same experience. My current bicycle uses a belt and I am using pedals with my feet further forward. I tie my half boots up tight and the laces don't come near the belt.
Old 08-02-21, 03:47 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
Does the ratchet strap near the top with 2 Velcro straps below count as Velcro or are we being Velcro purists here? I have a pair of shoes with laces and rather enjoy wearing them, I have needed to pull over and make adjustments from time to time. I must confess I prefer the BOA dials better.

I have 5 with BOA’s
i have 2 pairs of Shimano sandals with velcro
I have 1 with the ratchet strap Velcro combo
I have 2 with laces
I signal right turns with my left hand.
oh and I wax my chain.

Last edited by Ghazmh; 08-02-21 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-02-21, 04:11 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,874 Times in 4,638 Posts
[QUOTE=WhyFi;22167855]Don't leave Boas out of the conversation - what are we, plebes?! /QUOTE]

I own one pair of riding shoes with Boa closures, and I will go out of my way to avoid buying them again. The shoes are three years old, probably get used about 6000 miles per year, and I have replaced the Boa dials (I think) four times; the last two sets of Boa dials lasted less than a few months each before one or the other stopped unspooling (to get out of the shoes). Junk. Even though Boa will send free replacements, at some point it is just too much hassle.

My Shimano road shoes, on the other hand, have three velcro straps, which still work fine -- I have two identical pairs, both about 16 years old -- between them, they probably have 65k miles...And the straps all work just fine.
Old 08-02-21, 04:42 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I own one pair of riding shoes with Boa closures, and I will go out of my way to avoid buying them again. The shoes are three years old, probably get used about 6000 miles per year, and I have replaced the Boa dials (I think) four times; the last two sets of Boa dials lasted less than a few months each before one or the other stopped unspooling (to get out of the shoes). Junk. Even though Boa will send free replacements, at some point it is just too much hassle.
Sounds like you've had some horrible luck or there was some particular usage niggle that caused them to fail; I've never had a failure and they're far too popular for your experience to be the norm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.