Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Recommended chainring size

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-21, 06:19 AM
alij2018

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi, I have a hardtail with Deore setup. Cassette is 11-42T and chainring is 30T. I ride on tarmac more than offroad. I do climbing on tarmac as well as offroad too. I noticed on tarmac, it seems I lose cadence a bit with the 30T and even when I on the highest gear at the back.

I have a commute with 7 speed with a cassette of 14-28T and 34T chainring. I ride much better on it on tarmac when I am on my highest gear.

I did a gear ratio calculation for my hardtail. I calculated for my current setup then with chainring size 32T and 34T. I attached the results' screenshots.

My questions are:

1/ The more the ration is bigger in number, the better is? (Sorry, I don't understand gear ratio well).

2/ According to you, will a 32T or 34T better for me on tarmac and even on offroad? Bear in mind I do climbing on both as well.

Thank you

Old 08-21-21, 12:28 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
So it sounds to me like you want to set up a single chainring rig.

If that's the case, a 34/11 will give you an 80 gear inche fastest flat road gear. If it was my bike, I definitely woulden't want to go any lower than that.
34/42 will give you a 21 gear inch easiest hill climb gear. That's pretty easy.
Old 08-21-21, 03:53 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Are you saying that you are spinning out when in your highest gear ratio? Or put another way, you are pedaling crazy fast and not getting the speed you want?

If so then you have to do something to get a higher ratio front to back. Essentially the front gear has to get bigger with more teeth. Or you need a smaller rear gear with less teeth.

2¢ Might just need to get a road bike if you are going to be on pavement all the time.

as for these:
My questions are:

1/ The more the ration is bigger in number, the better is? (Sorry, I don't understand gear ratio well).

2/ According to you, will a 32T or 34T better for me on tarmac and even on offroad? Bear in mind I do climbing on both as well.
1) Ratio is the tooth count of the front divided by the tooth count of the rear. The higher the ratio, the faster you will be at any given cadence than a lower ratio at the same cadence. However, it takes more power to pedal that higher ratio. So you have to figure out what works for you.

2) My big gear on the front is a 52 tooth. It works fine for the small hills I have around me with a 11-30 eleven speed cassette on the rear for the 40 mile rides I do. If I get a little tired or ride where a hill is unusually steep or long, then I might have to shift the front to the 36 tooth ring.

So I don't know that a 32 or 34 tooth front is going to do much for you long term on pavement. You'll probably quickly find even they are to low a ratio for you.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-21-21 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-21-21, 08:31 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
For now I'll say 40.

Old 08-21-21, 08:34 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
The number one problem is that it seems you are using a mountain bike for pavement.

Number two, there are many factors which change your gearing other than teeth count such as tire diameter and crank arm length.

Third, I dont fully understand how you have concluded that you need more teeth in the front chainring. It seems understandable considering what sort of bike you are riding.
Old 08-21-21, 08:43 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
You lost me.

You ride a 34/14 (2.42:1) 7 speed commuter and your hardtail has a 30/11 (2.72:1).

Are you saying the 34/14 is better on pavement?

John
Old 08-21-21, 09:05 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
The number one problem is that it seems you are using a mountain bike for pavement.

Number two, there are many factors which change your gearing other than teeth count such as tire diameter and crank arm length.

Third, I dont fully understand how you have concluded that you need more teeth in the front chainring. It seems understandable considering what sort of bike you are riding.
Wait...what?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-22-21, 05:34 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by alij2018
Hi, I have a hardtail with Deore setup. Cassette is 11-42T and chainring is 30T. I ride on tarmac more than offroad. I do climbing on tarmac as well as offroad too. I noticed on tarmac, it seems I lose cadence a bit with the 30T and even when I on the highest gear at the back.

I have a commute with 7 speed with a cassette of 14-28T and 34T chainring. I ride much better on it on tarmac when I am on my highest gear.

I did a gear ratio calculation for my hardtail. I calculated for my current setup then with chainring size 32T and 34T. I attached the results' screenshots.

My questions are:

Thank you
The bigger the ratio number, the harder it will feel to pedal and vice-versa. So if you find it too easy to pedal on tarmac in the highest gear (30-11) then a larger chainring will help. But your comment in bold above doesn't make much sense. If you are losing cadence in the highest gear, then you simply need to shift to a lower gear!
For tarmac a 34T chainring or larger should be fine, but it depends on how strong/fit you are. The bigger you go, the stronger you need to be.
Old 08-22-21, 06:05 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
You're inventing problems which don't even exist...There is nothing wrong with using a mountain bike for riding on pavement.
Old 08-22-21, 08:26 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Wait...what?
This is probably referring to Sheldon Brown’s gain ratio, a way of calculating bike gears that factored in crank length. Gain ratio = distance traveled by bike divided by distance traveled (around BB) by the pedal axle. So longer cranks would reduce the gain ratio. Probably at least some merit to his thinking but not enough, IMO, to justify the complexity of the system. Also, I find the effect of a change in crank length to mean more to pedaling than just a change in gear ratio.

Otto
Old 08-22-21, 09:19 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by wolfchild
You're inventing problems which don't even exist...There is nothing wrong with using a mountain bike for riding on pavement.
What on earth?

How is the geometry, tires, suspension fork in particularly, or the gearing at all suitable for riding on pavement?

If you used slick tires in a similar diameter, changed to a rigid fork and made some changes to gearing it would work okay, but I'm having trouble seeing the comparison between trails and pavement being compatible.
Likes For Moisture:
Old 08-22-21, 09:26 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by ofajen
This is probably referring to Sheldon Brown’s gain ratio, a way of calculating bike gears that factored in crank length. Gain ratio = distance traveled by bike divided by distance traveled (around BB) by the pedal axle. So longer cranks would reduce the gain ratio. Probably at least some merit to his thinking but not enough, IMO, to justify the complexity of the system. Also, I find the effect of a change in crank length to mean more to pedaling than just a change in gear ratio.

Otto
Each 2.5mm increase in crank arm length accounts to a roughly 3% increase in gear inches, however, provided that the crank arms are not too long, your ability to push that heavier gear will go up a certain percentage as well...

Even if the crank arms are somewhat too long, you should still be able to output a bit more power at the expense of overall cadence speed. But the overall smoothness of your cadence will suffer at specific areas of your pedal stroke especially as you begin to fatigue.

In my experience, how smooth the bottom bracket was alone made a bit more of a difference than the length of the crank arms.

Also, while longer crank arms may have you pushing a higher gear, it certainly didn't feel that way for me when outputting higher watts, especially going up a hill. Overly Small crank arms can affect power out and the quality of your cadence all the same, even though you are supposedly pushing "an easier gear."
Old 08-22-21, 09:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

No there isn't anything wrong with a mountain bike on pavement. However the OP has a mountain bike that is being used on pavement and they are having problems.

So I might be that the OP's mountain bike isn't giving the OP the riding desired on pavement and something has to change. However the OP seems to have a 1x front and anything done to significantly change the ability to ride pavement faster will work against that bike when the OP goes back to gravel or entirely off road.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-22-21, 11:41 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Iride01
No there isn't anything wrong with a mountain bike on pavement. However the OP has a mountain bike that is being used on pavement and they are having problems.
He said his cadence was off, whatever that means I don't know. I suspect that he may be spinning out because his gearing is a little bit too low. Not really a big problem, all he needs to do is put a slightly larger chainring up front.
Old 08-22-21, 11:48 AM
wolfchild
Banned

What on earth?

How is the geometry, tires, suspension fork in particularly, or the gearing at all suitable for riding on pavement?

If you used slick tires in a similar diameter, changed to a rigid fork and made some changes to gearing it would work okay, but I'm having trouble seeing the comparison between trails and pavement being compatible.
I realize that a mountain bike will never be as fast as a road bike on pavement, but I am willing to live with that because I don't ride for speed. I prefer utility and versatility over aero performance and speed. I've done 100 mile century rides on my singlespeed mountain bike set up with about 64 gear inches.
Old 08-22-21, 12:12 PM
PeteHski

Each 2.5mm increase in crank arm length accounts to a roughly 3% increase in gear inches, however, provided that the crank arms are not too long, your ability to push that heavier gear will go up a certain percentage as well...

Even if the crank arms are somewhat too long, you should still be able to output a bit more power at the expense of overall cadence speed. But the overall smoothness of your cadence will suffer at specific areas of your pedal stroke especially as you begin to fatigue.

In my experience, how smooth the bottom bracket was alone made a bit more of a difference than the length of the crank arms.

Also, while longer crank arms may have you pushing a higher gear, it certainly didn't feel that way for me when outputting higher watts, especially going up a hill. Overly Small crank arms can affect power out and the quality of your cadence all the same, even though you are supposedly pushing "an easier gear."
That doesn't make sense. A longer crank arm gives you more leverage on the crank (Torque = pedal force x crank arm length), which should make it easier to push down. But if the crank arms are too long then you would struggle with the range of motion, especially at high cadence. Remember that power = torque x cadence. So high torque + low cadence can give the same power as low torque + high cadence. So it's a balance between the two. This is why long cranks will feel easier when pedalling at very low cadence out of the saddle. You are able to apply more torque on each pedal stroke because of the extra leverage. But in practice we are talking about a couple of mm difference, which will have more affect on the smoothness of your pedal stroke than anything else. In the context of this thread it is totally irrelevant.
Old 08-22-21, 12:13 PM
PeteHski

I realize that a mountain bike will never be as fast as a road bike on pavement, but I am willing to live with that because I don't ride for speed. I prefer utility and versatility over aero performance and speed. I've done 100 mile century rides on my singlespeed mountain bike set up with about 64 gear inches.
Lol!
Old 08-22-21, 12:25 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7651 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Longer crank arms increases the force needed to move them exactly as much as it increases the force applied. It is not easier to pedal at a given cadence with longer cranks, it is harder .... but it is also an issue of leg length. Really short cranks spin quickly and easily but might not be involving all the leg muscles adequately.

As for all the rest .... the OP hasn't really made clear what his issues are, and as for the rest .... I have learned not to get into ideological battles with "true believers" on BF.

I'd be out riding right now if it wasn't three times as hot as hades .... or i'll fix the flat on the one that I found flatted as I went out to ride last night. or I will clean the kitchen floor with a toothbrush ... anything is better than trying to fight with BFers who "know" that they "know" the "right way to ride."
Old 08-22-21, 01:13 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Longer crank arms increases the force needed to move them exactly as much as it increases the force applied.
Since when did a longer lever require a larger force applied to move it?

I agree with the rest about cadence, which is why I mentioned power = torque x cadence. There's no point in increasing torque if cadence drops in the process. I'm quite a fan of shorter cranks simply because I think they tend to reduce fatigue and injury (less leg/knee/hip angulation). But they don't have much effect on power output, at least not within the standard 170-175 mm range.

Last edited by PeteHski; 08-22-21 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Added detail
Old 08-22-21, 01:15 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Lol!
I know it doesn't make sense to most people, but that's how I've been rolling along for many years.
Old 08-22-21, 01:28 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

He said his cadence was off, whatever that means I don't know. I suspect that he may be spinning out because his gearing is a little bit too low. Not really a big problem, all he needs to do is put a slightly larger chainring up front.
Yeah, I think we all got that. We are waiting to hear back from the OP to clarify exactly in what way.

However like I said, if the OP's bike is 1x and the OP wishes to ride off the pavement some, then getting a more appropriate gear ratio for pavement might cause the OP to loose lower ratios that they might wish to keep for gravel or real off road cycling.

Don't be so worried that the OP will give up their mountain bike for a road bike. They probably are mature enough to make that decision on their own and if it's not desired, they can tell us that getting another bike is not desired.

Letting the OP speak for themselves will save a lot of bickering.
Old 08-22-21, 02:29 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by alij2018
I noticed on tarmac, it seems I lose cadence a bit with the 30T and even when I on the highest gear at the back.
This is the part that doesn't make much sense and needs clarifying by the OP. Losing cadence implies that he simply needs to shift into a lower/easier gear. But I'm now wondering if he's getting confused between the "highest" gear and "largest" gear on the cassette.
Old 08-22-21, 02:50 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Personally I wouldn't even worry about keeping track of cadence. When it comes to cadence there is no right or wrong number...Just pedal and enjoy the ride.
Old 08-22-21, 04:28 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7651 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Since when did a longer lever require a larger force applied to move it?
Yup ... even I can't figure out that one. Whoever posted it needs to back to school ......
Old 08-23-21, 04:46 AM
PeteHski

Personally I wouldn't even worry about keeping track of cadence. When it comes to cadence there is no right or wrong number...Just pedal and enjoy the ride.
But you don't worry about anything bike related from what you post. A bit like my dog