Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

KoolStop - fun fact…

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

KoolStop - fun fact…

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-21, 06:03 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 543 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
After the tour I decided I'll never buy another set of rim brake pads again unless they're from Koolstop! They do everything in house - machine molds, mix their proprietary rubber, even packaging and shipping. The few things they outsource are local. Chinese spies have tried to act as tourists to see how they do things. American and proud of it. They will do very short runs of rare pads to fill a need if necessary. Shimano may discontinue a brake, but Koolstop still has the pads.

Tim gave us a wonderful tour, no pictures allowed, of course.
100% agreement. They will be my #1 choice, end of sentence.

Originally Posted by BFisher
Sounds like it was a neat tour. How big is the facility, just out of curiosity?
I dunno, including front office maybe football field? Maybe? gugie? Mr. Spadoni?
Old 09-22-21, 06:12 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
I got to meet the owner/founder of Kool Stop at their Interbike booth years ago, such a nice guy, and he shared a couple of stories from the early days with me that reinforced my belief that Kool Stop is THE brand for rim brake pads. Definitely an awesome company.
Old 09-22-21, 06:15 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
... I'll never buy another set of rim brake pads again unless they're from Koolstop! ....

There's a large enough hill near my house that I already felt that way.
Old 09-23-21, 06:36 AM
Elvis_Presley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
I've been meaning to ask Park Tool for a tour. I live less than two miles from them.
Old 09-23-21, 09:45 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 219 Posts
Gugie nailed it. Kool stop is the way to go. I was impressed by the testing they do onsite as well as their clear commitment to making pads for what the majors ( looking at you Shimano) consider obsolete product.
What I did not expect from the tour is that I may give up my self imposed ban on Amazon shopping, at least for Koolstop products. The reason for that ban is a long rant that is not relevant here. What is relevant is that Tim at Koolstop clearly pays attention to what comes in from his Amazon orders and bases some of his production based on those orders. I got the sense that he gets more direct and immediate feedback for those orders than what he might ship to wholesalers. I might be willing to deal with Amazon if it means I can continue to reliably buy some of the more obscure pads that I i use.
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 09-23-21, 10:09 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
I dunno, including front office maybe football field? Maybe? gugie? Mr. Spadoni?
Smaller than a football field, maybe 20k sq ft?

What hasn't been mentioned are the several vintage machines they have, especially hot presses that are used to mold preforms into product. If they don't have something in stock, they'll literally make up a small batch to cover one customer - if you're looking for odd or rare brake pads, check out Amazon. As @Mr. Spadoni already mentioned, they do Amazon sales for that purpose - email Tim directly if you can't find what you're looking for (email address in picture on the OP's first post this thread.)
Old 09-23-21, 10:13 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
Gugie nailed it. Kool stop is the way to go. I was impressed by the testing they do onsite as well as their clear commitment to making pads for what the majors ( looking at you Shimano) consider obsolete product.
What I did not expect from the tour is that I may give up my self imposed ban on Amazon shopping, at least for Koolstop products. The reason for that ban is a long rant that is not relevant here. What is relevant is that Tim at Koolstop clearly pays attention to what comes in from his Amazon orders and bases some of his production based on those orders. I got the sense that he gets more direct and immediate feedback for those orders than what he might ship to wholesalers. I might be willing to deal with Amazon if it means I can continue to reliably buy some of the more obscure pads that I i use.
I have trouble walking the distances it takes to visit the bigbox stores, so I do order from A about once a month. Plus there's 3 or 4 neighbors on the block work distribution for them. Here's a one of my secrets, check the Amazon Warehouse returns inventory for Koolstop. There's almost always *something* that has been returned and discounted by a fair bit. There's currently (as of last night) a full bike set of Mafac pads for $18. I've bought A LOT of stuff from their Warehouse and only been burned once (listing said box/100 spokes, recieved one for ~$20. A refunded the purchase) I was able to get running boards and a folding tounneau cover for my truck for ~$100 total this way.
Old 09-23-21, 10:44 AM
RustyJames 

I was thinking of starting a separate thread about our visit but what gugie and Mr. Spadoni have said covers a lot of that ground. KoolStop’s extensive in house testing, complete fabrication (rubber pellets go in one door and brake pads go out the other door) AND, something that I think is very important, they make a product that is very highly regarded for a very reasonable price.

One thing not mentioned is that when the recent bike boom happened KoolStop didn’t need to ramp up and start outsourcing. They had product on the shelf, ready to go. All in all, a very efficient organization consistently making a high quality product.

Go buy their stuff!! Their bead Jack is sweet!
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 09-23-21, 10:46 AM
RustyJames 

Originally Posted by Elvis_Presley
I've been meaning to ask Park Tool for a tour. I live less than two miles from them.
Do it!! Their tools are where it’s at!
Old 09-23-21, 12:10 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
I am ordering brake pads from Modern Bike today. Using their filters, they list 235 Kool Stop products. Now I just have to find the right one out of all those options.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 09-23-21, 12:13 PM
RustyJames 

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I am ordering brake pads from Modern Bike today. Using their filters, they list 235 Kool Stop products. Now I just have to find the right one out of all those options.
Maybe try Koolstop's website and see if that helps.
Old 09-23-21, 05:29 PM
letenn 

Bikes: 1989 Cannondale SR400(?)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
That's really cool. I don't need any brake pads currently, but might buy some now.
Old 09-24-21, 09:33 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Thanks for the update to your tour and this only re-confirms the warm place that Kool Stop has in my C&V heart: these guys really go the extra mile to support us with high quality products that would otherwise be completely unobtanium! Major kudos to them!
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 09-24-21, 08:25 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
I've used and luv their Mafac Racer, Suntour, Diacompe, and Campy SR replacement pads. I just wish they made a more authentic replacement for all the 80s Shimano 105 and 600 brakes. Since they are nearby and you guys are now buds, make it happen.
Old 09-24-21, 08:29 PM
RustyJames 

Originally Posted by Classtime
I've used and luv their Mafac Racer, Suntour, Diacompe, and Campy SR replacement pads. I just wish they made a more authentic replacement for all the 80s Shimano 105 and 600 brakes. Since they are nearby and you guys are now buds, make it happen.
Give ‘em a call and see what they have to say. Tim is a very sensible business guy and if there is a need he will definitely accommodate.
Old 09-24-21, 08:56 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
I set up an appointment at Kool Stop in oh-so swanky Lake Oswego, OR for Weds the 22nd at 11:00. First 4 people (keeping it manageable) to reply in the affirmative are welcome to tag along. We could adjourn for lunch at a location TBD.
I'm not from Portland but over the years have been surprised to find out how much bike part and bike manufacturing has come from west side bike commercial district.
Old 09-24-21, 09:17 PM
RustyJames 

Originally Posted by zukahn1
I'm not from Portland but over the years have been surprised to find out how much bike part and bike manufacturing has come from west side bike commercial district.
We are kind of spoiled. Aluminum, CF, Ti, steel, bamboo framebuilders can be found around town. Kind of crazy for a place that is gray and damp most of the year.