Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Help please in identifying an old Humber bicycle

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 09-22-21, 03:16 PM
corpblues

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I bought a cool looking vintage bicycle without knowing anything about it. I was not certain if it was real or a knockoff, but after a bit of googling it seems to be real.
After googling I think I am closing in on what it is. But would like confirmation and perhaps a little info

I think it is a 1955 Raleigh Humber Centur 2030 with AW hub (based on a page about Sturmey-Archer Bicycle Hubs)

The finish is in rather rough condition, so looking for advice if it is worth having it restored?

Thanks,
David
Old 09-22-21, 03:24 PM
corpblues

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Can't seem to be able to post pictures. Sorry, I'll keep trying...
Old 09-22-21, 03:29 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,031 Times in 1,245 Posts
You can't post until you have 10 posts as an anti-spam measure. But we can see them and frankly, it looks to be in excellent shape. Clean and polish it up and post in the Love of English 3 Speeds thread.
Never heard of a Centaur but congrats, it's a very good bike.

Old 09-22-21, 03:30 PM
corpblues

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thank you! I'll get to 10 posts soon
Old 09-22-21, 03:34 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
clubman - you beat me to it....pic assist:

There is no Centaur in the 1956 Humber catalog, but there was a historical connection to the Centaur/New Centaur bicycle company in the early teens......Looks a lot like my Sports Light Roadster with an optional or accessory chainguard and a Centaur decal.
Old 09-22-21, 03:43 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Also here is a clip of the 1956 catalog with the relevant bike....note that a chainguard was optional for the mens model.

Old 09-22-21, 03:43 PM
corpblues

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks again for showing the pictures.

I wiped it off a little, but I fear damaging it if I get too agressive cleaning it. Guess I'll read up on cleaning a vintage bike.
Old 09-22-21, 05:40 PM
corpblues

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If it is not against forum rules can someone give me an idea of the value of this bike?

I am going to clean it up a bit. I collect vintage audio gear and in my search stumbled upon this bike. I learned many expensive lessons from getting overly aggressive with cleaning vintage audio gear, don’t want to make same mistake with this bike. Not sure if a good soap and water cleaning would remove the decals which I want to avoid at all cost.

If it is a highly collectible bike, I may invest in a full restoration by a skilled bike tech. Looking for guidance from knowledge forum members.
Old 09-22-21, 06:08 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Originally Posted by corpblues
If it is not against forum rules can someone give me an idea of the value of this bike?
Thread moved from C&V to C&V Appraisals forum.

Old 09-22-21, 06:26 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts

I am going to clean it up a bit. I collect vintage audio gear and in my search stumbled upon this bike. I learned many expensive lessons from getting overly aggressive with cleaning vintage audio gear, don’t want to make same mistake with this bike. Not sure if a good soap and water cleaning would remove the decals which I want to avoid at all cost.

If it is a highly collectible bike, I may invest in a full restoration by a skilled bike tech. Looking for guidance from knowledge forum members.
...it's old enough to be interesting, especially to people who like to ride old British 3 speeds. It's not old enough to be especially valuable, and any money you give someone to "restore it" will not be recovered at resale time. Just clean it up, make sure it has grease in the bearings and that the rubber parts that might be dried out are replaces with new stuff, and ride it at you local Tweed Ride.

Or maybe just use it for basic, stylish, around town errands and shopping. They made a lot of these, under various brand names and iterations. They are mostly pretty solid transportation bikes, and are underappreciated in the current era.

The decals can be a little fragile. Just use Dawn dish soap and water, with a rag. See where that gets you at first.
Old 09-22-21, 06:30 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...Humber is especially noted for their way cool chainring designs. Yours is no exception.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 09-24-21, 08:33 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...Humber is especially noted for their way cool chainring designs. Yours is no exception.
I really like the look of the chain rings on these with the somewhat slender crank. Also the duoblex wide fork is pretty coll looking. As for value I would say $250 or so nicely cleaned up.

Last edited by zukahn1; 09-24-21 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-25-21, 04:04 PM
corpblues

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I cleaned it up a bit and aired up the tires. I was able to ride it around the block. So FUN!

It does needs to properly restored but it is functional. The 3-speed gear box is sticky but did change gears. It's back in the garage as I don't want to ride it more without more cleaning and lubricating the moving mechanisms.

I can't upload pictures to the thread yet but I'll save a few and perhaps someone can post them to be visable as before.
Old 09-27-21, 06:05 AM
corpblues

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
What type of oil should I put in the AW 3-speed hub? It has a filler tube with a flip top.

Last edited by corpblues; 09-27-21 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-27-21, 09:24 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

I cleaned it up a bit and aired up the tires. I was able to ride it around the block. So FUN!

It does needs to properly restored but it is functional. The 3-speed gear box is sticky but did change gears. It's back in the garage as I don't want to ride it more without more cleaning and lubricating the moving mechanisms.

I can't upload pictures to the thread yet but I'll save a few and perhaps someone can post them to be visable as before.
What type of oil should I put in the AW 3-speed hub? It has a filler tube with a flip top.

...the recommended oil for these is any good quality 20 weight oil, unless you are riding in a very cold winter area, when you might have to experiment with 10 weight viscosity. If it is a little bit sticky, the usual cure to try first is to remove the rear wheel from the bike, and flush the hub with kerosene or mineral spirits, then put in about a teaspoon of 20 weight oil. They are not well seald, so if you put in too much oil it just drips out, usually down the spokes. Which kind of makes a mess of things, but doesn't hurt anything, mechanically.

The reason there is always so much crud on the rear hub's exterior is this leaking oil, mixing with road ddirt and grime.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 09-27-21, 09:28 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...there's a whole thread devoted to this sort of bicycle, running since 2010 and still currently being added to: For the love of English 3 speeds...
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 09-27-21, 10:32 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Every time I see one of those, I think it's trying to depict a bunch of naked people dancing around a fire in some sort of pagan ritual.
Old 09-28-21, 09:41 AM
corpblues

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by himespau
Every time I see one of those, I think it's trying to depict a bunch of naked people dancing around a fire in some sort of pagan ritual.
That, the vintage badge and decals caught my eye and I could not pass on it.
Likes For corpblues:
Old 09-30-21, 06:28 AM
corpblues

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've learned a lot about english 3 speeds, thanks for the information and links. I'll post a few more pics when I get to 10 posts.
Old 09-30-21, 06:41 AM
corpblues

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ten
Old 09-30-21, 07:15 AM
corpblues

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Pics of progress so far

Right side

Left side

Badge

Light

Seat
Old 09-30-21, 09:23 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

I've learned a lot about english 3 speeds, thanks for the information and links. I'll post a few more pics when I get to 10 posts.
...I rode on English three speeds all my college years, at the University of Maryland. They were cheap and plentiful back then, in the used bike marketplace. The Salvation Army was full of them. Everyone wanted one of those new fangled "ten speed" bicycles. They served me well and carried me a lot of miles around D.C.
Old 10-02-21, 07:00 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
Looks great to bad it doesn't have the original slightly slender original paint match fenders. It sucks but most kids that used these in the these of in the 60's or 70's stripped the fenders and extras to save weight clean up the the look so most are long since scrap metal and nearly impossible to replace.

Last edited by zukahn1; 10-02-21 at 07:05 PM.