Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Very large top tube bag

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Very large top tube bag

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-18, 08:06 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Very large top tube bag

I'm looking for a large top-tube-bag. I already have frame bag and saddlebag for my other needs and need a bit more easily accessible space (for phone, sunblocker, glasses, powerpack, wallet etc.).
i found this Blackburn TT bag that is 9.25"x3.15"x4.7" and it is about $40. All other bags i found were smaller.

anyone an idea of an even larger bag or a cheaper version?

(and no, don't want panniers, racks, backpack etc.)

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 07-10-18 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-11-18, 09:07 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I doubt they make them much bigger. The problem with a big top tube bag is that they tend to get a little top heavy, since they sit on the top of the top tube, and want to lean from side to side. And even with a small top tube bag on my bike I occasionally hit it with my knees.
Old 07-11-18, 09:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Depending on your bike, if I were going bigger and I didn't want a rack, I'd want a handlebar bag rather than sometihing big perched on the top tube. Milton's right on here--the physics of balancing a top heavy load on the top tube are problematic, especially as every turn has an assymetric effect on the bag..

Different handlebars can accommodate different bags, so this might actually involve some hands-on shopping. I'd probably recommend that for a top tube bag as well as you really need to know a bag works with the geometry of your bike, especially if you're going for an unusual size.

My go-to for well-made reasonably priced bags is Banjo Brothers, their top tube bag is a little smaller, but it is about half of the price of the one you're looking at, and their stuff is high quality.
Old 07-11-18, 10:56 AM
chicagogal

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
I'm looking for a large top-tube-bag. I already have frame bag and saddlebag for my other needs and need a bit more easily accessible space (for phone, sunblocker, glasses, powerpack, wallet etc.).
i found this Blackburn TT bag that is 9.25"x3.15"x4.7" and it is about $40. All other bags i found were smaller.

Jersey pocket?
Old 07-11-18, 11:39 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts

Maybe a used bag, originally designed for beam bikes.
Measures about 15”X3”xthin

Old 07-11-18, 12:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
OK you are looking ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-11-18 at 04:03 PM. Reason: revised offer
Old 07-11-18, 04:13 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts

Here's mine. It's a Blackburn, but I don't see a model no. I got it as a gift, so I dont know the cost. It is 3 x 3 x 6 inches. It has a zipper top with a clear phone window. It can carry, phone, two tubes, Co2s, a multi tool, and a couple of gels. I usually carry one tube and a cheesy cable lock for local short rides. It has 3 velcro straps that hold it pretty well. It looks kind of clunky on an aero bike, but it works pretty well. In the side shot, the zipper top is partially open.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 07-11-18 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-11-18, 05:52 PM
TomCat_Ford

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out eoGear; they make excellent bags, including some large top tube bags. I have a few of their top tube bags on various bikes, and I really like them. My oldest is somewhere around 6 years old, and it has held up very well. Oh, and they're made in the USA if that's something you value.

https://kgear.eogear.com/collections...-top-tube-bags
Old 07-11-18, 07:59 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I doubt they make them much bigger. The problem with a big top tube bag is that they tend to get a little top heavy, since they sit on the top of the top tube, and want to lean from side to side. And even with a small top tube bag on my bike I occasionally hit it with my knees.
Good point on the weight swinging around. the knees likely won't be a problem for me. i have a sort of top tube bag that has like saddles on each side and don't hit knees with that (that one is just too small - it is not high at all - and in use on my other bike)

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Depending on your bike, if I were going bigger and I didn't want a rack, I'd want a handlebar bag rather than sometihing big perched on the top tube. ......

Different handlebars can accommodate different bags, so this might actually involve some hands-on shopping. I'd probably recommend that for a top tube bag as well as you really need to know a bag works with the geometry of your bike, especially if you're going for an unusual size.

My go-to for well-made reasonably priced bags is Banjo Brothers, their top tube bag is a little smaller, but it is about half of the price of the one you're looking at, and their stuff is high quality.
I have a handlebar bag, but didn't like it. It was in the way of my lights and quite heavy for what it could carry and likely aerodynamically bad.
The bike in question has a Jones H-bar and I have a bar-bag (still testing if it works for me). so a regular handlebar bag won't work anyway.

Reason for a large bag is to have as few bags as possible. many smaller bags add lot of weight and are less flexible for relatively bulky items. I have a seatpost bag i could use, but for wallet, phone etc. i rather have it in front of me fo easy access. For example when i go to a Park restroom I take wallet and phone with me for that minute.

My triangle already has a custom frame bag. that holds all my tools, spare tubes and hydration bladder. But with battery pack, sun cream, mosquito spray, wallet etc. it gets tight. I don't want to wear stuff on my if possible. I wear normal T-shirts, so no Jersey pocket (and again, don't want stuff on me)

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 07-11-18 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-12-18, 07:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Good point on the weight swinging around. the knees likely won't be a problem for me. i have a sort of top tube bag that has like saddles on each side and don't hit knees with that (that one is just too small - it is not high at all - and in use on my other bike)

I have a handlebar bag, but didn't like it. It was in the way of my lights and quite heavy for what it could carry and likely aerodynamically bad.
The bike in question has a Jones H-bar and I have a bar-bag (still testing if it works for me). so a regular handlebar bag won't work anyway.

Reason for a large bag is to have as few bags as possible. many smaller bags add lot of weight and are less flexible for relatively bulky items. I have a seatpost bag i could use, but for wallet, phone etc. i rather have it in front of me fo easy access. For example when i go to a Park restroom I take wallet and phone with me for that minute.

My triangle already has a custom frame bag. that holds all my tools, spare tubes and hydration bladder. But with battery pack, sun cream, mosquito spray, wallet etc. it gets tight. I don't want to wear stuff on my if possible. I wear normal T-shirts, so no Jersey pocket (and again, don't want stuff on me)
Interesting reading your thought process. Balancing these considerations is definitely more art than science, and a sincere thanks for taking the time to explain your reasoning. .
Old 07-13-18, 05:24 PM
jfoobar

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I had a Revelate "Gas Can" bag, which is reasonably large" combined with a saddle bag and on my new bike decided to ditch them both for a smaller frame bag (Banjo Bros. "Minnehaha" medium). I am much happier with this setup so far, honestly:

My frame is a 61 so it may hog up a bit more space on a smaller frame. The Revelate is a well-made bag but the floppiness of it annoyed me, even though it never interfered with my pedal stroke.
Old 07-13-18, 05:50 PM
Alleytom

Bikes: 92 GT Arette, 78 Paramount, 2012 Pugsley, Late 70s Gilmour, 74 Centurion LeMans

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 35 Posts
Not a exactly, top tube bag, but two of these work great for me and hold quite a bit. Got them on eBay.

Old 07-13-18, 07:19 PM
HerrKaLeun

Not sure if you guys misunderstand. I already have a frame bag and use the triangle as efficiently as possible. i was looking for something ON TOP of the top tube, like the bag i had found myself.
BTW, I really recommend the custom bag by Rogue Panda. Pricey yes, but saves me all the little bags and keeps tools, tubes, water bladder etc. low and in center.

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 07-13-18 at 07:23 PM.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 07-13-18, 09:38 PM
pabbe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for something like this? I dont know if it is big enough for you (Sorry, just realized, dont have enough karma to post pictures yet)

Search for - "Aliexpress ROCKBROS Bicycle Bags Waterproof Cycling Top Front Tube Frame Bag" in Google. Hopefully it should be the first link.

I got this bag from Aliexpress. Good for the money that I paid. It cost me around 13$ delivered at home in around 30 days.
Old 07-14-18, 03:26 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Yep, they can get unstable and unwieldy real quick.
Old 12-10-18, 09:49 PM
DTG

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I Just happened to come across this looking for something else but I figured to throw my two cents in. You can take two top tube bags like the revelate jerry can, one going the normal way and reverse the other to connect to the top tube and seat post. If you don't want to do that but want one big bag, then check out Jpaks. He sells a one called FarvaPak: 15" long x 4.5" up front, tapering to 2.5" at the rear. It retails for $100
Old 12-11-18, 06:50 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
A fried bought one of the Blackburn top tube bags recently and his comment was he can't get as much in as he expected but it is good quality and I have one of their frame bags that's excellent as well.

That said funny how everyone's ideal set up is different, I've bought a new bike and generally don't like top tube bags nor frame bags that block the bottle cage mounts so on the Xmas list is Banjo Brothers small frame bag which should free up the mounts .... this has 2 pockets so tube, patches, co2 etc in the bigger one and money, phone, keys in the smaller pocket for the reason you've mentioned that they're easier to grab and in essence that bag will take all the essentials for when spare clothing isn't needed.

Am going for a large Ortlieb Saddle bag which is easily removed so don't have to take it / carry the weight when it's not needed but should be able to get layers in there easily enough and is easily re-attached for when I do want them.

I was in a Giant shop a few weeks ago and they had some fairly sizeable top tube bags so may be worth having a look at their range and it wasn't that expensive .... if you have space in your frame bag and it was custom made couldn't you send it back to them and ask them to put in a side pocket to carry the bits you want??
Old 08-09-21, 10:29 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
Check out the frame bags from Revelate Design. Quite a selection, and their products are quite durable.

Old 08-10-21, 01:18 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Check out the frame bags from Revelate Design. Quite a selection, and their products are quite durable.
I like that brand. I have one of their mountain feed bags. not cheap but well made
Old 08-10-21, 01:39 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts

The Revelate Mag-Tank 2000 is slightly larger, at 9.5x4.5x4.5 (85 cu. in.). Price is $65.

The space above the top tube is limited by your moving legs while pedaling, you probably won't find a bag any bigger.

Old 08-11-21, 09:26 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Zombie thread. It's been 3 years since the OP asked for recommendations.