Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shimano Mountain LX brifters.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 11-05-20, 06:42 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts

I just scored these today, dirt cheap, at that same collective where I scored my Stumpjumper recently. 😎 I love the “motorcycle” levers & hoods. Notice how those hoods say Exage on the back though? This kinda confirms the overlap of Exage & LX. I might have read about it, but seeing makes it easier to “get” the quality of these things. 😎

Likes For stardognine:
Old 11-05-20, 07:03 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 247 Posts

Got the exact 7 speed set on my bastardized Bianchi. The brake levers seem kinda floppy. Maybe that’s to keep them loose for all the crashing I do.
Old 11-05-20, 07:31 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
wow.....had no clue integrated thumbies were ever made! cool score!
Old 11-05-20, 07:53 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I had integrated thumbies on my high-school-and-college-MTB in the nineties. They were GS level, I think
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-05-20, 08:08 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
Nice. There were a few others, Mtn Exage and County Exage to name 2. Suntour had at least one model as well.

Old 11-05-20, 11:26 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv
The brake levers seem kinda floppy. Maybe that’s to keep them loose for all the crashing I do.
LOL. 😁 These ones are still nice & snappy, like a mousetrap. Are you sure a nut isn’t just loose or something? Maybe washers missing? 🤔
Likes For stardognine:
Old 11-06-20, 01:10 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yup, the Exage 500 CX and Deore LX rear derailleurs were nearly identical. I have both, no significant differences. Cosmetically different faceplates. Even the model numbers were nearly the same.

The Exage 500 CX group on my early 1990s Univega Via Carisma included "integrated" brake levers and indexed thumb shifters. Both the front and rear derailleurs were indexed, no friction mode available. The thumb shifters were modules that bolted onto a mounting plate that extended from the brake lever housing. The setup located the shifters under the handlebar, which felt more natural to me.

It was a great setup while it worked. Not sure why it didn't catch on, and appeared to have been fitted to only a few bikes for one or two years. Photos of this group are scarce. I need to photograph my own and upload 'em.

The brakes can be used without the shifters -- fortunately, because both shifters finally quit a few years ago. Flushing with WD-40, etc., didn't help. The shifters can't be used without the brake set, unless the owner fabricated a handlebar clamp from scratch, which probably wouldn't be difficult for a metal shop, or perhaps a 3D printer.

Currently I'm using the brakes, despite the gawky looking empty mounting plate, sans shifting modules, because they work well. I switched from flat (well, slightly arced) handlebar to albatross swept bars and bar-end shifters a couple of years ago. Great setup for converting a MTB-lite/gravel-ish bike to an all around city/path bike.
Old 11-06-20, 06:35 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Yup, the Exage 500 CX and Deore LX rear derailleurs were nearly identical. I have both, no significant differences. Cosmetically different faceplates. Even the model numbers were nearly the same.

The Exage 500 CX group on my early 1990s Univega Via Carisma included "integrated" brake levers and indexed thumb shifters. Both the front and rear derailleurs were indexed, no friction mode available. The thumb shifters were modules that bolted onto a mounting plate that extended from the brake lever housing. The setup located the shifters under the handlebar, which felt more natural to me.

It was a great setup while it worked. Not sure why it didn't catch on, and appeared to have been fitted to only a few bikes for one or two years. Photos of this group are scarce. I need to photograph my own and upload 'em....

Shimano integrated the shifter mount and brake levers to save weight. It effectively eliminated the mass associated with the two handlebar clamps for the the shift levers. The drawback was that both the angle of the shift levers and their lateral positioning relative to the brake levers were fixed. The concept was introduced on the Exage ATB groups circa 1988-1989 but Shimano quickly followed with Rapidfire in 1990, which they quickly trickled down the ATB hierarchy, so the brakes levers with integrated thumbshifter mounts were relatively short lived.

Shimano's CX series was a short lived (4 years) attempt to design groups specifically for the hybrid market. It was introduced in 1992 with the 200CX and 500CX groups which were replaced by 500CX and 700CX for 1993-1995. As noted, they were heavily based on existing ATB groups. My recollection is that the 500CX levers were Rapidfire and almost identical to Exage 500LX units. If the shifter levers are located under the bar, that sounds like Rapiidfire and not thumb shifters.
Old 11-06-20, 05:13 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 293 Posts
The Mountain LX shifter with Exage brake lever came as original equipment on my ‘89 GT Karakoram.

Never cared much for the levers. The plastic mount for the right shifter snapped in one of the many spectacular tumbles I took with that bike. I was able to rig a newer Deore thumb shifter which looks fine and works great to this day.
Old 11-06-20, 11:38 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
...Shimano's CX series was a short lived (4 years) attempt to design groups specifically for the hybrid market. It was introduced in 1992 with the 200CX and 500CX groups which were replaced by 500CX and 700CX for 1993-1995. As noted, they were heavily based on existing ATB groups. My recollection is that the 500CX levers were Rapidfire and almost identical to Exage 500LX units. If the shifter levers are located under the bar, that sounds like Rapiidfire and not thumb shifters.
Right you are, I'd forgotten I'd posted about this back in 2016. It's the ST-M050.

I need to plug in my NAS file server, which has my photos and other info for this bike. My backup copies on photobucket and Google appear to be gone or the links were changed.

I may have a larger copy of this on my NAS file server.

This is my own bike from around 2017. I don't have a closeup available at the moment.

Someone else's photo, same model but a mixte version with original handlebar, etc.

Someone else's photo, same model but a mixte version with original handlebar, etc.
Old 11-07-20, 01:33 AM
tashi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
I had a hybrid with 700 CX, it was very nice stuff. Felt like the "performance" level stuff I was used to from mountain and road bikes as opposed to sloppy and clunky like the cheaper groups, shifters in particular at that time.

I killed virtually all of it in Ottawa, but it did well.
Old 06-09-21, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Anyone happen to have an exploded view of the pod? I'm having a heck of a time getting this m050r back together from a complete year down!!! Help!
Old 06-09-21, 11:20 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by 269523
Anyone happen to have an exploded view of the pod? I'm having a heck of a time getting this m050r back together from a complete year down!!! Help!
I don't believe that there is an exploded view. Shimano didn't intend for the pod to be taken apart.
Old 06-09-21, 08:26 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
wow.....had no clue integrated thumbies were ever made! cool score!
Check out Campagnolo's Euclid group.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy: