Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bottom bracket treasures

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bottom bracket treasures

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-21, 04:35 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Bottom bracket treasures

I am not sure what these extra dust caps are for or what befell the poor bearing cage but it was like pandoras box in the bottom bracket shell of this Miele Uno LS. These were all lying in there.
Old 05-08-21, 05:33 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
One never knows what surprises will present themselves when opening up a cavity. Stuck posts or stems. Not round balls. Pitted races are really the pits. One never knows.

I have shown this bottom bracket treasure before but I do get a kick out of showing it, now and again...
Old 05-08-21, 05:41 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
I have encountered a bottom bracket where the spindle and cups were toast, was a bummer. I saved it as maybe one day I can figure out a way to retrofit sealed bearings into it.
Will need a lathe and some tooling.
Old 05-08-21, 05:56 PM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
The best surprise I ever got from an old bike was the bottom bracket. I bought an old beat up Fuji as an impulse buy for something like $20. I get it home and start to overhaul things a little bit and notice that the bottom bracket requires some special tool that I don't have. Turns out to be a Phil Wood.
Likes For fettsvenska:
Old 05-08-21, 06:31 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by fettsvenska
The best surprise I ever got from an old bike was the bottom bracket. I bought an old beat up Fuji as an impulse buy for something like $20. I get it home and start to overhaul things a little bit and notice that the bottom bracket requires some special tool that I don't have. Turns out to be a Phil Wood.
Me too! I found a discarded Campania frame that, as it happens, was their top line offering, and so was specced with a Phil BB. If I had encountered the bike earlier in its life, I might have also snagged the Phil hubs with which it was specced, but no such luck. I am saving the Phil BB for a different build.
Old 05-08-21, 09:47 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I have encountered a bottom bracket where the spindle and cups were toast, was a bummer. I saved it as maybe one day I can figure out a way to retrofit sealed bearings into it.
Will need a lathe and some tooling.
You may need a mighty good lathe and some tooling you don't really care about. Those BB axles are normally harder than a coffin nail!

I have a bunch of no-good axles and no-good cups and I have access to the lathes that could do it, and I still won't - readily available sealed BBs are going to be lighter, stronger, smoother, and more durable, plus you won't have to machine hardened steel.
Old 05-09-21, 03:52 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
You may need a mighty good lathe and some tooling you don't really care about. Those BB axles are normally harder than a coffin nail!

I have a bunch of no-good axles and no-good cups and I have access to the lathes that could do it, and I still won't - readily available sealed BBs are going to be lighter, stronger, smoother, and more durable, plus you won't have to machine hardened steel.
It might not be that hard. I cut one in half with a hacksaw, not a particularly high-spec one, but it was hollow (picked that one so the sawing would be quicker).

And it might not be that difficult, I just took a 26.4 crown race to 27 on a mini-lathe with a carbide tool, it was hardened all the way through; no trouble.

But I agree, in most case off-the-shelf will be better in all those ways than what most hobbyists could do. If I had a crank for which axles were not readily available, like a Gnutti spline or the 3-degree SR, and an axle that was otherwise unusable, it'd be an option.
Old 05-09-21, 07:59 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson

but I want it to LOOK like a Campagnolo bottom bracket. . Got to keep up appearances.
Old 05-09-21, 09:12 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
but I want it to LOOK like a Campagnolo bottom bracket. . Got to keep up appearances.
Originally Posted by oneclick
If I had a crank for which axles were not readily available, like a Gnutti spline or the 3-degree SR, and an axle that was otherwise unusable, it'd be an option.
Oh, those are good reasons! Carry on.