Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Enjoying shorter rides....

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Enjoying shorter rides....

Old 07-28-21, 06:10 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
If you don’t get bored with your 10mi route, enjoy! Just keep riding and stoking the passion.

My body type works against me for longer rides. If I do a hilly 40, that’s a good ride. I’m not built for endurance but love doing TT style fast 15-30 milers. I come in a hot sweaty mess with a grin.

Ride your ride, your route, in your time.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 07-28-21, 06:12 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
Any ride will do.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 07-28-21, 06:42 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I’ll be 81 next month and most of my rides are 20 and 25 miles. Today I did 20 in a hour and 25 minutes and I felt that was enough in this heat. When it’s cooler I usually ride 30 or 35.
Old 07-28-21, 07:11 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
I mix it up on both distance and intensity. I usually enter about half a dozen century sportive events in the summer, but I rarely ride much over 60 miles when training for them. A lot of my rides are actually in the 20-40 mile range. I find I can just extend my 60 mile pace to 100 miles whenever I need to. At 53 I think I will continue to ride the longer distances while I'm still able. But it's all good. Sometimes I prefer a short blast or even a gentle recovery ride. All types of rides appeal to me really. I also do a lot of mountain biking, which are usually quick sub 1 hour loops around our local singletrack. When I was younger I used to do some pretty epic all-day mtb rides, but now I do nearly all my longer rides on the road.
Old 07-28-21, 07:34 PM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I also do a lot of mountain biking, which are usually quick sub 1 hour loops around our local singletrack. When I was younger I used to do some pretty epic all-day mtb rides, but now I do nearly all my longer rides on the road.
Unfortunately mtn biking is another activity I used to enjoy but simply can't do anymore unless it's smooth rock and root-free singletrack. I just don't have the balance and coordination I used to have. Gravel riding, however, is pretty fun and I built up a gravel bike for that purpose but I have to drive an hour and a half to find any gravel roads.

On the road I have been doing solo "1/3rd century" rides of 33 to 36 miles but I still prefer to get at least about twenty miles in so it feels like I went on a real bike ride.
Old 07-28-21, 08:03 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
I have arthritis in my hands, neck, and shoulders that is getting worse with time. As a result, riding for more than 2-3 hours starts to get miserable, even with premedication with NSAIDs. 30-50 mile rides are about all I can manage now, and I'm glad to be able to do that much.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 07-29-21, 03:14 AM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I have arthritis in my hands, neck, and shoulders that is getting worse with time. As a result, riding for more than 2-3 hours starts to get miserable, even with premedication with NSAIDs. 30-50 mile rides are about all I can manage now, and I'm glad to be able to do that much.
I have heavy arthritis in my one knee which doesn't seem to affect my cycling but after I did a metric century late last year I could hardly get off my bike. 30 to 50 mile rides are good for me, too, and I don't feel that I have to go farther than that.
Old 07-29-21, 07:43 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
I do lots of 10-ish mile rides, most of my weekday rides are like that. I feel like a wuss compared to other riders I see on Strava, but I don't let that get me down too much. Power to the wusses!

I also go much harder pace on those rides, my NP is usually around my FTP. All the routes have lots of hills, 750ft vertical climbing is my minimum requirement before I can go home.
One way to keep from getting yourself down about riding YOUR rides at your pace, is to avoid reading the postings on Strava, BF and sites where "other riders" post (and often boast) about the distance, speed, and/or difficulty of THEIR rides.

You might also consider not setting any "requirements" or specific metrics for you to accomplish before you can be satisfied with your ride.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-29-21, 07:52 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
One way to keep from getting yourself down about riding YOUR rides at your pace, is to avoid reading the postings on Strava, BF and sites where "other riders" post (and often boast) about the distance, speed, and/or difficulty of THEIR rides.

You might also consider not setting any "requirements" or specific metrics for you to accomplish before you can be satisfied with your ride.
I think it is good to set goals. I have improved a huge amount in the last year by monitoring my progress and setting goals. Seeing other riders my age and what they are doing on Strava gives me some hope I can get there too. So yes it cuts me down to size a bit but on the plus side it shows I have a lot I can improve on.
Old 07-29-21, 10:44 AM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by smurfy
I have heavy arthritis in my one knee which doesn't seem to affect my cycling but after I did a metric century late last year I could hardly get off my bike...
I'm riding because I had to quit running due to advanced arthritis in my knees. I was wondering if that would also keep me from riding, but I've been at it almost four years now and cycling doesn't seem to bother my knees at all. I mostly ride shorter distances (15-20 miles) but occasional longer rides with my longest being 107 miles. No knee issues. As far as I can tell, cycling is helping my knees by keeping them functional despite the arthritis.
Likes For Random11:
Old 07-30-21, 11:44 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I let sensations be my guide…

Old 07-30-21, 11:52 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Some days I got it, some days I don't. There are times I leave the house intent on a ride of X minutes, and come back in X-Y minutes because I just don't feel it. Other times, I feel good and it turns into an entire afternoon if I have the time. The vast majority of my weekday rides are less than 20 miles.

Old 07-30-21, 06:54 PM
Pinelander
Roadie

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by George
I’ll be 81 next month and most of my rides are 20 and 25 miles. Today I did 20 in a hour and 25 minutes and I felt that was enough in this heat. When it’s cooler I usually ride 30 or 35.
I'm with you George. At 73 I do 20-25 a few days a week and intersperse that with a few days of kayaking. Keeps the whole package working.
Old 07-30-21, 09:18 PM
Dudelsack 

Originally Posted by Biker395
Some days I got it, some days I don't. There are times I leave the house intent on a ride of X minutes, and come back in X-Y minutes because I just don't feel it. Other times, I feel good and it turns into an entire afternoon if I have the time. The vast majority of my weekday rides are less than 20 miles.
It’s the sensations, man.

Old 07-31-21, 09:31 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Went out for an easy 10 mile ride and the sensations took me 16 miles. Just started exploring. Ended up finding a great new road in the process.
Likes For pgjackson:
Old 07-31-21, 02:40 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
I’ve converted a couple rigid , old MTB’s to single speed with low gearing . 30 chainring with a 21 or 22 rear cog . Spin out around 9mph .
put the fun back in my rides, where before , the hills in my neighborhood were killing my knees .
5-10 mile rides most days.
Old 07-31-21, 05:22 PM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 45 Posts
Just shy of 57.

We just moved for the wife's job. We now live like 2/10 of a mile from a system of bike paths. Instead of feeling the pressure of getting 30-40 mile rides in 2-3 times a week with a longer one on the weekends, I find my self really enjoying the 15-25 mile ride all on paths. Much easier to get out after work.

Y'all just keep up the good work!!
Likes For BobsPoprad:
Old 08-01-21, 08:04 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
This from a guy who has done 508 miles in, what, 30 hours?
Old 08-01-21, 01:20 PM
Dudelsack 

My sensations allowed me to go 6 flat miles again today. I swear I could hear the crowd cheering in the background.

Old 08-02-21, 12:33 PM
wjjones
Slowpoke

Bikes: Shinola Detroit Arrow; Burley Rumba tandem

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
There's a certain amount of freedom when you don't have expectations of speed and distance. Some days I feel like heading home after cruising for 5 miles; some days I feel like riding farther and at a quicker pace.

I'm 69, and at my age, it's good to still be riding a bike, period. Yes, I know there are even older people in this forum who are still riding hard and fast, but really, most people our age don't get any exercise worth mentioning. I just want to get out for some fun and exercise, and I enjoy riding 10-12 MPH and usually less than ten miles. When I was younger I liked to ride fast and far, but that's not my thing any more.
Likes For wjjones:
Old 08-02-21, 02:51 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Coming from a guy (who's a year away from 50 but lurks here to get a sneak peek of my future) who has done 325 miles in 24 hrs not that many years ago, I'm now enjoying 20-40 miles rides far more than I ever thought I would. I still miss the EPIC'ness of both preparing for and executing double and triple century rides, I just no longer have the knee recovery, nor the drive for them anymore. In fact, I've signed up for an organized 100 miler in 7 weeks (Denver Century) that I'm not "totally" looking forward to like I used to, but I'm doing it to hopefully get the long distance spark back.

Last edited by Riveting; 08-02-21 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-02-21, 07:17 PM
jvsabas

Bikes: Holdsworth Competition, Pogliaghi Road, Surly Cross Check, Sette Ace, SE Draft, Trek 970

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Love this thread! Just got back from a ride and my bike is still on car bike rack 'cuz I find the comments too captivating. As much as I love riding, lately it's been difficult to motivate, so I'm reading all the replies from people who find ways to get out and pedal despite their circumstances. I'm also appreciating the avid cyclist pushing 50+ miles distances regularly in their senior years. Today's ride was a short twenty miler with my nephew, he's 32 and fit, I'm 60 and not. He's the newbie to cycling and I struggled to keep it challenging for him. As much as I want to be fit right now, motivating self for a ride has been difficult. It's ironic that with the weather so much nicer than last year, I've managed less than a quarter of last year's distance. For the 60+ crowd posting their distances, whether short or far, you inspire me! After an 8 week hiatus, I'm struggling with 20 mile distances, but I'm not ready to wind back yet, I think I got some more mileage in me, plus I've already ponied up for two upcoming centuries. Many thanks to all who are sharing here, I'm feeling motivated.
Likes For jvsabas:
Old 08-02-21, 07:53 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
I got into cycling in 2010 at age 40 after a knee surgery caused by running. Back then I wouldn't get on the bike for anything less than 20 miles and would often go on 40+ mile rides every Saturday morning. Then I moved and stopped cycling for 5-6 years and just now got back into it. Where I live now there aren't many great routes or bike lanes, however there is a really nice 10 mile out and back loop (5 each way) right from my driveway. When I was doing the longer rides I really had to prepare and set aside 2-3+ hours, but now at age 51 with my new 10 mile loop it is easy to just hop on the bike after work or get in a quick ride on Saturday morning. I find that I am more motivated now for a 40 minute ride than I used to be for the longer ones. The thought of doing a 20+ mile ride just doesn't appeal to me any more. Anyone else experience this?
I'm 68-1/2 and have felt the opposite. Like you, I got back onto a bike back in 1998 due to a sciatic nerve injury from playing volleyball (not something anyone should have to deal with Fortunately, in the Bay Area, there are lots of MUPs that are nice to ride, a few of them out to the SF Bay.

I started out riding ~6 miles RT and continued building from there. I now do a 12 mi. ride on Mon. and Fri. and do a near 30 mi. ride out to the bay on Wed. And this is on a Mt. bike. It's possible I may up the mileage on my Mon. and Fri. rides sometime in the near future. Sat. I'm up in the mountains doing a 6-10 mi. hike. Sun. I definitely set aside as a rest and laundry day.

Funny thing is....after being on the bike for 15 years, I had an accident on my bike (dumb thing on my part) which fixed the problem I created playing volleyball. Not a treatment I would recommend, but it worked for me

In short, we all feel the way we feel about things. Do longer rides or shorter rides, more often or less often. You know best what works for you.

Cheers....
Old 08-03-21, 07:30 AM
Jsosborn

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0 SL; Specialized Creo SL EVO Carbon; Brompton M6L; Rad Runner 5, Cannondale Quick Neo, Giant beater

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
At 62, I'm happy to get in 500 miles a month so far this year. Try to ride at least 4 days a week, and 15 miles is sort of a minimum. Usually a 100+ mile weekend twice a month, and a 50+ mile ride every week regardless. Lots of hills around here, so 20 miles usually climbs +/- 1,000ft.
Old 08-03-21, 07:46 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
The thought of doing a 20+ mile ride just doesn't appeal to me any more. Anyone else experience this?
Yup. At 65, I enjoy 10 to 20 mile rides. Converted one bike to ebike this year, and do 25-45 miles on that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.