Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Back to basics - restarting training again...

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 08-05-21, 11:27 PM
964racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just new to this forum...A little background...
I've been cycling for about 30 years at various levels (I'm 61), from masters/cat 4 racing down to 25 miles/week fitness riding. For the last two years, I've been in the latter category. I didn't stop riding completely but due to other distractions/interests I have not been riding much. I recently became motivated to restart my training again. Not sure what my goals are but for the moment I would just like to get fitter and back to a level where I can ride with a fast group again. So, I started with about 100 miles/week in zone 1/2 and I've been increasing that about 10% week for the last 3 weeks. I'm slow and have a long way to go, but I'm starting to feel good again. That 100 miles/week includes a few short climbs (less than a mile) on the longer rides (30-40 miles) with easier rides in between. I'm finding that stacking a few days together and taking a day off in between (for 4-5 days/week of training) works well. I plan to gradually increase over the next few months to build my base.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and made a "come back" ? any suggestions / recommendations ? One of my primary goals is weight loss., I'm going to need to get rid of 20 lbs to get back to any kind of reasonable climbing speed....

Last edited by 964racer; 08-05-21 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-07-21, 09:25 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I think the biggest issue at your age will be recovery. If weight loss is your primary goal you can probably get by with only one HIIT session a week or using the short climbs so you don't forget what it's like to push yourself. I've found having a power meter to track Calories (indirectly by tracking kJ or work.) motivating. Turn that increased distance into increased work lets me know I really am doing more.

I'm down 34 pounds in the last 11 months. My energy output biking says I've expended enough energy to lose 61.25 pounds in that time, which tells me I'm actually outworking my diet. I'm eating about 1800 Calories a week more than I need to maintain my weight, which probably explains why I gain weight when I stop riding.
Old 08-09-21, 07:35 PM
rwmct

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
It is always a good idea to do some weight training when trying to lose fat. It helps ensure, to the extent your personal genetics allow, that you are losing as much fat and as little muscle as possible. It gives your body a reason to hang onto that muscle.
Old 08-11-21, 06:44 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I didn't get Covid, but the Covid year did a number on me for other reasons. Last October, I started doing pretty much what the OP has been doing, though mostly on my resistance rollers. I have a power meter and so started doing long steady-state rides, working up to 2 hours, several times/week. Gyms weren't open yet, so that wasn't an option then, but I would have gone a couple times/week if they were. I like an hour spin and then gym. At the gym, I do pulling work on one day and pushing work on the other. When my power for 2 hours seemed to plateau, I gradually added in outdoor rides and intervals. By March, I felt like I had decent 50 mile fitness again. I'm 76, so you may find your experience to be different.