Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Charlotte (North Carolina) Area Cycling

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-17-18, 01:15 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts

Due to an unexpected situation, I find myself unemployed, as do the rest of the 150 in the company. I absolutely love Colorado and thought we would live here forever, but may have to relocate for a job. It took me a week to process it but I need to plan the next move, and cycling is a very important criteria. The cycling here is phenomenal but I can't take a huge pay cut at my age either. So sadly, I really need to consider relocation. We will likely rent out our Colorado home, in case things change in the future.

One option that will pay me well in in the Charlotte area. Could you guys tell me how the road biking is around there? I'm also a mountain biker so any info there would be nice. We have long thought about kayaking and canoeing so I know that will be good in that part of the country.

Any advice or information would be appreciated.
Old 04-17-18, 02:24 PM
7daysaweek
Ouch... my knees.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
Due to an unexpected situation, I find myself unemployed, as do the rest of the 150 in the company. I absolutely love Colorado and thought we would live here forever, but may have to relocate for a job. It took me a week to process it but I need to plan the next move, and cycling is a very important criteria. The cycling here is phenomenal but I can't take a huge pay cut at my age either. So sadly, I really need to consider relocation. We will likely rent out our Colorado home, in case things change in the future.

One option that will pay me well in in the Charlotte area. Could you guys tell me how the road biking is around there? I'm also a mountain biker so any info there would be nice. We have long thought about kayaking and canoeing so I know that will be good in that part of the country.

Any advice or information would be appreciated.
I'm not from Charlotte, I'm in Raleigh so this may not be exactly first hand experience but I have lived here in Raleigh and in Greenville, SC on the other side of Charlotte and have lots of friends in WNC that I've visited to ride so I've got some experience riding around that area.

The road riding is pretty good. You won't have the elevation you're probably used to right outside your door but the riding in terms of quantity of roads and number of riders around to jump in groups rides with will be good. Depending on what area specifically you may have some traffic to deal with to get to good back roads but there's plenty around to ride and in my experience the area is generally cyclist friendly. Mountain biking in the Charlotte area is great and just a hop, skip, and a jump from the Asheville/Brevard area for short weekend trips into the mountains for some world class riding.

I think your biggest loss will be lack of snow sports in the winter if you're into that. You should be able to keep up your cycling pretty well there.
Old 04-17-18, 03:56 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I live about 90 miles east of Charlotte, but I know the riding is pretty good and the mountains aren't far away. There's a bunch of MTB trail systems as well. It's a nice place for a cyclist to live, you won't be snowed in all winter.
Old 04-17-18, 04:29 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Thanks guys! This kind of info makes me feel better. We don't get that much snow if Denver and we do have a ski condo where we do get snow- up near 9500 ft, but we can take up kayaking and canoeing or something cool like that in its place. So far, I have no opportunities in Denver that will keep me close to my salary level. Something may come up but not yet. The company in NC is a good option since they know my work and one other option (but far less likely that Charlotte) is in Seattle. However, the pay may be much less so we will see. My wife was always excited about Seattle (and I still am) but the NC area is becoming more and more appealing as I research it more.
Old 04-17-18, 06:19 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Keep your eyes wide open on the Charlotte area and I'd suggest a visit or two before you commit to a move.

I was offered to move there (from Wisconsin) several years ago as my company was building a new headquarters there. I visited several times to look at the area and do the "available homes" tour. Longer story...I'm sure the guys that live in the region might know more, but I declined the move. Charlotte has, and continues to experience significant growth. Lots of traffic. Didn't see any bike lanes built into newer roads, didn't see any paved shoulders on older roads. The suburban areas south of Charlotte (Indian Land, Fort Mill, Lake Wylie & west) in South Carolina (lower taxes vs NC) continue to build new subdivisions while they haven't built sufficient roads/services to accommodate the ones they have...= traffic. I didn't look to the north & east side of Charlotte as I would have been located south due to the office location (near airport). The locals have a joke that amounts to.."..if you're having a boring day, grab a lawn chair and set up at any intersection to watch the one-car accidents"... I saw two in my visits there. Duke Power has a significant impact on water quality..look into it.

Some reading:
Data & Safety Statistics - Palmetto Cycling Coalition

https://www.theatlantic.com/national...icycle/284293/

Climate can be nice, depending on what you prefer. Locals will tell you to move to Charlotte with a job rather than moving there to look for a job. If your wife will be looking for work..look into it before committing to move. Housing was very tight three years ago. Many people from work built new homes, which is typically a very bad idea in a quick corporate move, but they had no choice. Naturally..if you have kids, look into school ratings(Fort Mill was quite good I think).

Perhaps I'm spoiled in Wisconsin. I've never lived in Colorado so I can't make a direct comparison. There were a number of reasons I didn't move to Charlotte, but one significant one was I didn't feel good about biking. Mountain biking would probably quite good as well as kayaking, hiking, etc... One of the nicest attributes I found was Charlotte is 60-90 minutes away from some beautiful outdoor-activity areas to the west. Too far to commute though. Downtown Charlotte goes quiet after 5pm except when a sporting event is happening.

My apologies to any Charlotte locals..not my intention to do a hatchet-job on the area. I'm sure it's heaven for some people. I had three long-weekend trips down there and had to gather as much info as, and see as much as, I could. In the end, one has to make a decision and go with their gut..I didn't go...and lost my job as a result(28 years).

OP..don't be discouraged..visit the place and form your own opinions..your take-aways for what you value could be totally different than mine. You may also want to do some research on city-data forums for the area..some locals hang out there and may offer some info..searching the forums can yield good info too.

Last edited by fishboat; 04-17-18 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-17-18, 08:46 PM
Chandne

Thanks for the detailed information, fishboat. I can tell that you make some valid points. I'll look into all this. I love mountain biking so I like that aspect. I don't ride on crowded streets and ride right for home here so I will miss that and probably go for group rides instead. I have 30 miles of private trails here too and the mtn biking is truly epic. I can make the most of it though. It will help if I get some roadies and mtn bikers there. The wife works form home and no kids. She can work from anywhere as long as there is good/fast internet access. I can stay here and let's say make around 100K (but I also support my aging parents) or I could move and make 130-150. My gut tell me not to move but that is natural if you like the place you live. I love Colorado and Utah. My brain is telling me to be more open-minded and move if needed because that extra 30-50 could make a big difference in a few years. I don't think I could be happy in a place like Atlanta but I think North Carolina would be nice. I'll see how I feel when I visit. I know one of the guys in that company is a big cyclist so I will talk to him while I am there. I hear the people are friendly too.
Old 04-18-18, 07:01 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Thanks for the detailed information, fishboat. I can tell that you make some valid points. I'll look into all this. I love mountain biking so I like that aspect. I don't ride on crowded streets and ride right for home here so I will miss that and probably go for group rides instead. I have 30 miles of private trails here too and the mtn biking is truly epic. I can make the most of it though. It will help if I get some roadies and mtn bikers there. The wife works form home and no kids. She can work from anywhere as long as there is good/fast internet access. I can stay here and let's say make around 100K (but I also support my aging parents) or I could move and make 130-150. My gut tell me not to move but that is natural if you like the place you live. I love Colorado and Utah. My brain is telling me to be more open-minded and move if needed because that extra 30-50 could make a big difference in a few years. I don't think I could be happy in a place like Atlanta but I think North Carolina would be nice. I'll see how I feel when I visit. I know one of the guys in that company is a big cyclist so I will talk to him while I am there. I hear the people are friendly too.
Colorado sounds somewhat similar to Wisconsin in terms of trails. NC/SC do have much lower taxes that WI, but, from what I could see, the lower taxes equate to a lower quality of life in terms of trail systems and bike-friendly roads. I did a search of "bike trails and Charlotte" 3-4 years back and found just one trail in Charlotte-proper..just a mile long. Compare to Milwaukee(local for me) where the Oak Leaf Trail runs nearly 100 miles in and around the county that is about 80% dedicated, paved multiple use trail that's connected by about a dozen parks and low-traffic parkways. Madison is similar in having tons of trails. Many WI counties cater to cyclists with trails, rural road routes, and festival/rides. Below is an image of the NC region, showing trail density, taken from the Rails to Trails Conservancy (traillink.com) site. The same image for the WI region follows, same map scale.

I did find out about MeetUp.com from my Charlotte-biking searches(I have a post in the great lakes regional forum to give you an idea of meetup..), which has been very useful. You might look into MTB trails and distance from Charlotte. There's lots of trails in that region, but I'm not sure how close to the city they are.

The pay..yah..it matters today and in the (retirement) furture. I was in the same (upper) wage range. That's a strong income in the area as locally posted jobs will pay less. Housing is pricey in the commuting range, relative to 1-2 hours outside of Charlotte. Suburb-developments are big houses on tiny lots while more rural homes(south and southwest of city) are few and far between..I tried... Locals can be nice(another local joke..a hello involves "what's your name?", followed by "what church do you belong to?..") but it'll take a while to meet them as everyone I met in the corporate world was from somewhere else. Lots of companies moving there. Charlotte is said to be a mini-Atlanta now and will be catching up to Atlanta as time goes on. Charlotte is a big banking center. The International airport is more regional than international..currently, but this will change as things grow. Ask your cyclist friend and see what he thinks. A friend from highschool, born and raised in Wisconsin, lived in Charlotte for 6-7 years and he loved it. He is a Harley rider(no biking) and rode nearly year around. If an inch or two of snow falls..it's a snow day and everything shuts down.
Old 04-18-18, 07:49 AM
Chandne

The trail systems seems developed well where you are. I'll have to look at housing since I will be going to the office (maybe in Davidson) and driving to Atlanta or flying out at times. I will definitely reach out to my cyclist buddy. The trail system here is pretty insane. In ten years, i have not ridden them all but some of the backcountry ones are long and remote. The Colorado trail itself is around 500 miles. I have ridden maybe 200 miles of it.

I am applying locally as well now but my connections (who know my work and will pay a premium) are in Charlotte, Atlanta, and maybe Kansas City (where I lived once for 4-5 years). KC is nice only because I can drive to Colorado but it is a decent city for me (unlike Oklahoma City, for example).

So the money is one criteria but my sanity is another. I need to be where I can be happy. Since Asheville is close to Charlotte and we can drive to the coast/beaches, it trumps Atlanta and many other places. As I do here, I will likely have a VERY small group of friends who will probably be cyclists. I avoid church (been many times when younger) and rarely run into "church people" here so I will prob just have 3-4 people I eventually am friends with. I have no problem with people of faith though, and any religion but my experiences. Meetup is a good idea- I will check those out too.

All this information is EXTREMELY helpful...thanks again. I have one company asking me to interview in Seattle (and Seattle sounds awesome except for of course, the 6-7 month drizzle) but they will not pay that much (prob same as Denver local jobs) and Seattle is expensive. I'd love to check out the PNW but let's see what happens after I interview with them. It is a couple steps back as a Senior Analyst but if the pay is good, I'd considering it. Somehow I doubt they will pay me much more than 100-110. At least 20K (after taxes) goes to my parents' care so that's 30K before taxes. So there is so much to think about. Sometimes it can be overwhelming, Cycling and being outdoors saves my sanity...no doubt about it. Many of us here are probably wired this way.
Old 04-18-18, 08:27 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Charlotte is doing a lot to improve bicycling in the area. There is a very strong cycling scene there, with several well-established rides.

That said, it is a large and growing city and dealing with sprawl, but it is trying to be good about managing it.

Still, there are many options for mountain biking in the area and just beyond. Asheville is only a couple hours away, so you can get plenty of climbing in. Rock Hill, SC, just south of Charlotte, has an awesome velodrome, a dedicated crit course, and a world-class BMX track.

It's going to be different from Colorado, but you will still be able to ride plenty and throughout most of the year.
Old 04-18-18, 08:32 AM
Chandne

Thanks topflightpro! Truly appreciate the info. Do you live close by? I hope to be there next week, for the first time. After my day-long final interview (well, more like hanging out with the team) I hope to drive around and see the place. If not, I'll come back soon after.
Old 04-18-18, 09:49 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Rock Hill, SC, just south of Charlotte, has an awesome velodrome, a dedicated crit course, and a world-class BMX track.
If I lived closer to Charlotte I would have a full on track bike and be riding the velodrome regularly. I'm going to take my grandson to the BMX track there this summer.

That would be fun as hell.

Old 04-18-18, 10:22 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
If you move to Charlotte look up the Mojo Cycling club. My sister's husband is a member and I've been on some group rides with them as well as some other just general riding in the area. Personally I liked it there though it's very obviously higher traffic than I see here in the middle of PA...but that's expected. There's also a time trial series (or used to be) at the Charlotte Motor Speedway which my bro in law said is pretty fun.
Old 04-18-18, 10:41 AM
fishboat

The trail systems seems developed well where you are. I'll have to look at housing since I will be going to the office (maybe in Davidson) and driving to Atlanta or flying out at times. I will definitely reach out to my cyclist buddy. The trail system here is pretty insane. In ten years, i have not ridden them all but some of the backcountry ones are long and remote. The Colorado trail itself is around 500 miles. I have ridden maybe 200 miles of it.

No doubt, your trails in CO are orders of magnitude better than ours and much more scenic. I need to get out that way sometime. I have a friend that moved there a couple years ago.

So the money is one criteria but my sanity is another. I need to be where I can be happy. Since Asheville is close to Charlotte and we can drive to the coast/beaches, it trumps Atlanta and many other places. As I do here, I will likely have a VERY small group of friends who will probably be cyclists. I avoid church (been many times when younger) and rarely run into "church people" here so I will prob just have 3-4 people I eventually am friends with. I have no problem with people of faith though, and any religion but my experiences. Meetup is a good idea- I will check those out too.

Charlotte does have good access to lots of outdoor activities both east (coast) and west. That was one draw for me when I was looking.

All this information is EXTREMELY helpful...thanks again. I have one company asking me to interview in Seattle (and Seattle sounds awesome except for of course, the 6-7 month drizzle) but they will not pay that much (prob same as Denver local jobs) and Seattle is expensive. I'd love to check out the PNW but let's see what happens after I interview with them. It is a couple steps back as a Senior Analyst but if the pay is good, I'd considering it. Somehow I doubt they will pay me much more than 100-110. At least 20K (after taxes) goes to my parents' care so that's 30K before taxes. So there is so much to think about. Sometimes it can be overwhelming, Cycling and being outdoors saves my sanity...no doubt about it. Many of us here are probably wired this way.
Six-seven years ago I had a headhunter from Starbucks call me about a position (analyst also..logistics network modeling/optimization). I thought hard about that as I too would love to spend some time in the PNW. My home here would run $1M+ in Seattle (cough) within the commuting region from the office. They would pay well..but not that well. It's a big decision with lots of moving parts and sanity counts..a lot, but so does money. Me declining the offer to move ended my career as I was about 12-18 months out from early retirement..so I cashed it in...earlier. Charlotte, like any city/region, is what you make of it. If the offer to move came years earlier in my career I may have gone. Do check out meetup for cycling groups(or bike shops), they can fast-track you into good riding and good people.
Old 04-18-18, 01:29 PM
jandnvh

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve lived in Charlotte for the past 5 years. Love it here! Cycling is good and growing. There are some greenways, but not really well developed yet. Local gov is working at it though. If you are interested in group rides, there are several to choose from. Mojo has been mentioned - they do 40 - 50 mile rides at a fast pace. And you are on your own. Routes are well marked on the road. The meet in Matthews. I ride with a group that meets at Ultimate cycles. Avg about 17 mph. Both rides go on back roads. There are more rides, but I am more familiar with these two.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-19-18, 08:07 AM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Relative to Mtn. bike riding, the trails at Lake Norman are close by. They have 3 10 mile routes that are a blast to ride. Not rare to see 50 cars in the parking lot, all with bike racks on.
Old 04-22-18, 03:29 PM
Laurido92

Bikes: 2019 Pinarello Prince FX 2021 Pinarello Prince Disk Canyon Grizl CF SL

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live in Indian Trail which is a suburb east of Charlotte. Charlotte is a fast growing city and the traffic shows it.

Cycling is very big here. I tend to stay away from anything to do with Uptown Charlotte or the metro area. I usually ride the outskirts of Charlotte (Waxhaw, Mint Hill, Locust, Ballantyne, Belmont, etc.) due to having a lot less traffic and plus the country scenery is great. For MTB riding you have the US National White Water Center which is great. Over 30 miles of trails. There are also some other trails near by (COL Francis Beatty park, Sherman Branch) and you have some state parks that have trails as well (Uwharrie State Park, Lake Norman state park) and you can always head up to the mountains where the riding is great and the scenery better. Rock Hill, SC which is about 30 mins from my house has the Rock Hill Criterium Course. Lots of riding around here and overall good place to leave.
Old 04-22-18, 04:42 PM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
I live in the Lake Norman area - north of Charlotte. As others have said, traffic is bad. Most cyclists ride in the suburbs. There's a very active cycling community here. Check out weeklyrides.com for sample of the local road rides & events.

You'll have to drive 1 to 2 hrs (depending on which side of the city you live in) to get to some real climbs. There's mountain biking here, but I'm afraid the local trails (those within an hour of Charlotte) will disappoint you if you are accustomed to challenging Colorado riding. To get to real mountain bike trails you'll likely have a 2-3 hour drive.
Old 07-17-19, 08:13 PM
bp2k8

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
if possible i have a request/job for anyone in the relative charlotte area to pick up some wheels from shop and slap a label on it to send to me via bike flights or similar. I can compensate you of course and/or send you parts i have. Most of my parts are campy nuovo record ultegra and some shiman 600 and mavic wheels.

Feel free to pm me or post here. Much thanks in advance

Ken
Old 07-17-19, 10:58 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Timely zombie-awakening for me; I'm moving to Durham, NC in a couple of weeks, where I'll spend a year. If anyone knows the area and good road routes (for solo rides) or clubs (for group rides), I'd be interested in info. I'd likely start with B rides and possibly graduate to A once I get a feel for the terrain. It seems like Meetup is the thing around those parts.

I posted in the Southeast subforum a while back, but I'm not sure how many views that one gets.
Old 07-18-19, 07:08 AM
rpyr

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Timely zombie-awakening for me; I'm moving to Durham, NC in a couple of weeks, where I'll spend a year. If anyone knows the area and good road routes (for solo rides) or clubs (for group rides), I'd be interested in info. I'd likely start with B rides and possibly graduate to A once I get a feel for the terrain. It seems like Meetup is the thing around those parts.

I posted in the Southeast subforum a while back, but I'm not sure how many views that one gets.
I live in the Raleigh-Durham area... Lots of rides north of Durham. Check out the Gyros cycling club or CBC. Both very active and lots of rides in and around the triangle