Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Impact of Pandemic on Racing

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Impact of Pandemic on Racing

Old 03-23-20, 12:35 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I just made the Strava updates minus the one for activities. If NC goes "shelter" then that'll go too. That would eliminate any leaderboard worthy efforts if it goes private. So, remember, no KOM's or top 10's for activities that are follower or private only.

But, the rest I just updated already. Again, if "shelter in place", I'm going dark on Strava.
Old 03-23-20, 01:41 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I just made the Strava updates minus the one for activities. If NC goes "shelter" then that'll go too. That would eliminate any leaderboard worthy efforts if it goes private. So, remember, no KOM's or top 10's for activities that are follower or private only.

But, the rest I just updated already. Again, if "shelter in place", I'm going dark on Strava.
As far as leader board stuff, I'm trying to treat this time as another base season. The race(s) I care about have been moved to late summer/fall, so big daddy efforts right now only increase the probability of burnout before the good fitness is applied where it's needed most.

That being said, I'm really bad about falling back into hero mode when I'm feeling the flow on a climb.
Old 03-23-20, 01:47 PM
Cypress

We just got hit with the SIP. Luckily, I have the blessing of our Governor to go outside and play bikes.

Old 03-23-20, 01:57 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by Cypress
As far as leader board stuff, I'm trying to treat this time as another base season. The race(s) I care about have been moved to late summer/fall, so big daddy efforts right now only increase the probability of burnout before the good fitness is applied where it's needed most.

That being said, I'm really bad about falling back into hero mode when I'm feeling the flow on a climb.
We don't have climbs here, just cute little 1min to 3min hill sprint KOM's. And some 8min to 10mi long KOMs usually owned by a race team OR local Kona Ironman. So, I don't think a couple tries on some 2min hills once in a while will kill me.
Old 03-23-20, 02:00 PM
Cypress

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
We don't have climbs here, just cute little 1min to 3min hill sprint KOM's. And some 8min to 10mi long KOMs usually owned by a race team OR local Kona Ironman. So, I don't think a couple tries on some 2min hills once in a while will kill me.
You've got the self control of a monk. Once I get that KOM syrup in me I get all antsy in my pantsy.
Old 03-23-20, 04:47 PM
Cypress

Originally Posted by gsteinb
Knew it was going to happen, but still sad to see that they just canceled my kid's college graduation.
That freaking sucks, man. I'm sorry to hear that. Congrats to the grad though...

Last edited by Cypress; 03-23-20 at 05:54 PM.
Likes For Cypress:
Old 03-23-20, 04:54 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Knew it was going to happen, but still sad to see that they just canceled my kid's college graduation.
Sucks. How's he handling it, if you don't mind me asking?

Local news had stories about high school kids who were losing their proms, graduations, SAT tests, etc. Some of them were pretty upset. The school district is trying to think of something.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-24-20, 08:19 AM
Cypress

We just zoomed dinner together. He 'doesn't care much' about it under the circumstances, but he also acknowledged that the way things went down (spring break and stay home) there are loads of folks he didn't say goodbye to that he'll never see again. It's a weird way to end an educational career. I know for me as the one who shepherded him through it that it's weird for me.
There wasn't a pandemic when I graduated, and I only walked because my parents insisted. I sat through the graduations of significant others and siblings, so I was content with not going to mine. It was everything I knew it was going to be; one side of my face getting sunburnt with a solid mortar board line down my forehead while listening to a billionaire Alumnus give us an anecdotal, and subsequently spurious, pep talk. Then waiting to walk the stage and sweatysmile for the photo.

Everyone sees college differently though. For me, it was "just another thing" to get through, so it makes sense that I didn't really care about the ceremony.
Old 03-24-20, 08:30 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Live streamed my Zwift on the team FB last night. Finally, a couple folks say they'd like to group up next time. Since Zwift meetups allow "stay together" there's no reason to fear getting dropped.

I need to now setup the Discord, still waiting on my headphones though. Bought the Aftershockz titanium. Bone conducting with microphone and ear plugs. Insert ear plugs on the trainer to block fan noise and maximize experience. Totally open ear for jogs/runs. I don't wear headphones outdoors on the bike, hell no.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 03-24-20, 08:38 AM
Cypress

We should have a 33 group ride at some point.
Old 03-24-20, 08:59 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
One of friends from the Marines in Oklahoma has it (or what sounds like it), but like many other cases its not near death so he's not getting tested. He's in really good shape too. He's a fisherman like we are cyclists (wears a kit, has podiums; but with fish, etc.).

There wasn't a pandemic when I graduated, and I only walked because my parents insisted. I sat through the graduations of significant others and siblings, so I was content with not going to mine. It was everything I knew it was going to be; one side of my face getting sunburnt with a solid mortar board line down my forehead while listening to a billionaire Alumnus give us an anecdotal, and subsequently spurious, pep talk. Then waiting to walk the stage and sweatysmile for the photo.

Everyone sees college differently though. For me, it was "just another thing" to get through, so it makes sense that I didn't really care about the ceremony.
**Off Topic**

My wife really didn't care. For me it was a really big deal walking, getting a degree was my mothers dying wish and something I worked on for 15 years. Also being a poor kid in and out of foster care you're kind of in-tuned that you don't belong there. When you grow up poor everyone tries to keep to down to their level, which is not very high. People really like saying you're stupid.

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter so long as you graduate, though I do get peeved at people that devalue a degree.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 03-24-20, 09:21 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
Hair styles during shutdown...I am thinking one of the Game of Throne men. Either Jamie Lannister or Khul Drago.

I went to check out Fiesta Island. The gate is across the road and there was police there at the time. The officer said Fiesta was closed to bikes but open to pedestrians. I walked over and it reminded me of scene from Madmaxx. People wondering around with loose dogs everywhere. When I got back to the gate, the police were gone and cyclists were going onto the island.

I made a trip to Whole Foods. They have one entrance and tape on the sidewalk 6 feet apart. I lined up in my space and it took about 3 minutes to get into the store. At the entrance, they offer non latex gloves. I took a pair...why not.

Shelves were okay but depleted but the fresh fruits and vegetables were in ample supply. Checkout is done buy lining customers up in an aisle six feet apart. One is then directed to a checkout. I disposed of my gloves in a container at the door. These guys are doing a better job of infection control than some hospitals.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 03-24-20, 09:49 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I am working on a Welcome Back Kotter style floof.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 03-24-20, 11:24 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

We should have a 33 group ride at some point.
Seeing your and the other's posts on here, definitely would have to have the "stay together function" turned on for me. Ya'll in a different league (well, certainly categories).
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 03-24-20, 11:45 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2592 Post(s)
Liked 3,080 Times in 1,631 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Hair styles during shutdown...I am thinking one of the Game of Throne men. Either Jamie Lannister or Khul Drago.

I went to check out Fiesta Island. The gate is across the road and there was police there at the time. The officer said Fiesta was closed to bikes but open to pedestrians. I walked over and it reminded me of scene from Madmaxx. People wondering around with loose dogs everywhere. When I got back to the gate, the police were gone and cyclists were going onto the island.

I made a trip to Whole Foods. They have one entrance and tape on the sidewalk 6 feet apart. I lined up in my space and it took about 3 minutes to get into the store. At the entrance, they offer non latex gloves. I took a pair...why not.

Shelves were okay but depleted but the fresh fruits and vegetables were in ample supply. Checkout is done buy lining customers up in an aisle six feet apart. One is then directed to a checkout. I disposed of my gloves in a container at the door. These guys are doing a better job of infection control than some hospitals.
I wanted to ride my TT bike out there this morning, but headed out on the road bike as I figured it would be closed, which it was. Did some work on Soledad instead. I figure doing solo intervals and not-stopping is reasonably safe social distancing, but I realize they can't make exemptions and the multitude of people taking walks together and/or congregating at the dog park just ruins it for the rest of us.

RE: riding outside... Def. feeling conflicted over this one. I understand gsteinb 's stance which is echoed by many in the local community here as well. I'm finding it peaceful and doing things I can to minimize risk, like coasting and riding the brakes downhill. I do realize that some level of accidents are our of your control and I would feel like a total asshat if I needed medical attention right now due to me choosing to ride outside. Maybe now is the time to invest in a better indoor setup...

I had planned on getting a smart trainer late in the year when my fiancee and I started family planning, but with our wedding delayed that may be a bit delayed too... Not sure what we're going to do there. If it's a 6 month delay - fine, we'll wait and would prefer to party (read: her not being pregnant) during our wedding celebration and honeymoon. If we have to wait a year? Nope, the show must go on, not interested in waiting that long to start our family, marriage and future together. I'll be 34 in November and she's only a year behind, and neither of us are getting any younger.

It's a weird time, and a tough time for me. Work seems to be going OK, but with social distancing measures, split shifts and partial remote work it's a bit in upheaval. Cycling (well, racing) is postponed indefinitely, and with our wedding (5/9) postponed my medium-term plans are all out of whack, which means more anxiety for me - I'm a type A or OCD planner type. Fortunately we do have each other and we are still gainfully employed, which is more than what a lot of individuals can say right now.

Stay safe!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-24-20, 12:27 PM
Cypress

Originally Posted by TMonk
It's a weird time, and a tough time for me. ...my medium-term plans are all out of whack, which means more anxiety for me - I'm a type A or OCD planner type..
That's what drove me down a weird rabbit hole about two weeks ago. That, and the constant negative energy the media/social media is bathing us in. The next intricately-planned 4 months of my life had been thrown into this depressing end-of-the-world gray area of "wait and see, because doom" and I am not good at "wait and see" (I'm good at doom though). That's why I revamped my TrainingPeaks calendar... it was something in my life that I have control over.
Old 03-24-20, 12:51 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Yeah, like you mentioned (in some other thread?) I think I'm going into base mode for now.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-24-20, 01:24 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My kids are home from school for the next few weeks, and I really don't expect them to go back. Most of their teachers have established virtual classrooms, but since it's a public school I don't know how they can mandate it.

We've tried to get some exercise, responsibly. I've been on Zwift, my daughter participated in a remote dance lesson, my wife has been on her elliptical, although she canceled her yoga teacher. My son and I went on a mellow gravel ride this weekend.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-24-20, 02:38 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I had planned on getting a smart trainer late in the year when my fiancee and I started family planning, but with our wedding delayed that may be a bit delayed too... Not sure what we're going to do there. If it's a 6 month delay - fine, we'll wait and would prefer to party (read: her not being pregnant) during our wedding celebration and honeymoon. If we have to wait a year? Nope, the show must go on, not interested in waiting that long to start our family, marriage and future together. I'll be 34 in November and she's only a year behind, and neither of us are getting any younger.

It's a weird time, and a tough time for me. Work seems to be going OK, but with social distancing measures, split shifts and partial remote work it's a bit in upheaval. Cycling (well, racing) is postponed indefinitely, and with our wedding (5/9) postponed my medium-term plans are all out of whack, which means more anxiety for me - I'm a type A or OCD planner type. Fortunately we do have each other and we are still gainfully employed, which is more than what a lot of individuals can say right now.

Stay safe!
I hope what I'm posting doesn't come across as intrusive and gratuitous. Would this be solely a delay in your wedding ceremony or would it also mean a delay in being legally recognized as being married? If you are currently intending it to be the latter, have you looked into how CA will be issuing marriage certificates in these times?
Old 03-24-20, 02:47 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Oh no worries. We're not sure what we're going to do there - if offices are open, we have discussed going down to the court on (or around) our date to get legally married anyway. We would still have a full ceremony before the reception at our re-scheduled date with the venue (officiated by my sister), for symbolic purposes.

So it certainly means a delay in the ceremony, but we may chose to do the legal thing anyway on-schedule. But that of course depends on what kind of bandwidth they have for that at city hall.
Old 03-24-20, 10:51 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
OC content from what I think was the day after doge last posted

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/03/1...irus-outbreak/
Is the news "An Orange County man in his 70s with underlying health conditions has died of the novel coronavirus, the county’s first reported death from the disease."?
Then the link in the OC Register talks about LA.

I posted because folks were both showing graphs and equating Italy with USA and then CA and saying the rates were the same, which they were not.
CA had 1st death March 4th, Italy Feb 21. 17 days later Italy at 366 deaths, 17 days later for CA at 24 deaths. They are not the same rates.
Some countries have a case to death ratio that is very low. Some are over 500 cases - no deaths. Comparing cases is not useful. Under current orders the behavior is the same if you test positive or if you don't.

If you test positive stay at home. If you test negative stay at home.
Both LA county and OC have now determined testing is useless (which I posted before). They are moving more to that let it play out view, who knows how bad it will be.
I know that the data that was posted - that I "argued" about was deceiving at the time, and has proven to be. USA is not at Italy rates. CA is <10% Italy rates before the crackdown and same number of days in.

OC is still very very low in serious illnesses from CV. That is not downplaying it, just what it is. Hoag is in the heart of the OC and some more beds are being filled, but they are way down still from normal levels. They are way below the flu epidemic 2 years ago.

I'm not quite sure what you are objecting to other than me saying that certain regions are not having an issue and are not close to tracking with many models.

Anyway, I didn't see much point in going on. I was looking at data and posting data and folks were saying I was downplaying it. I certainly was downplaying the graphs and predictions, but I posted about actual numbers for actual regions.
This was pretty much the argument I posted above a few days before.

Last edited by Doge; 03-24-20 at 10:59 PM.
Likes For Doge:
Old 03-25-20, 08:14 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Oh no worries. We're not sure what we're going to do there - if offices are open, we have discussed going down to the court on (or around) our date to get legally married anyway. We would still have a full ceremony before the reception at our re-scheduled date with the venue (officiated by my sister), for symbolic purposes.

So it certainly means a delay in the ceremony, but we may chose to do the legal thing anyway on-schedule. But that of course depends on what kind of bandwidth they have for that at city hall.
it would be nice if they allow WebEx or Zoom for civil ceremonies. Probably not on the top of anyone’s agenda ATM, but for some, the effect of a marriage is immense (e.g. access to affordable health insurance via spouse)

as for the documents and signatures, it probably wouldnt require anything too different from how signatures from different parties are collected for other legally binding agreements
Likes For echappist:
Old 03-25-20, 09:11 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
it would be nice if they allow WebEx or Zoom for civil ceremonies. Probably not on the top of anyone’s agenda ATM, but for some, the effect of a marriage is immense (e.g. access to affordable health insurance via spouse)

as for the documents and signatures, it probably wouldnt require anything too different from how signatures from different parties are collected for other legally binding agreements
If in the situation, I'd seriously consider a Justice of the Peace-issued marriage certificate and then follow up with a "group" wedding ceremony later on as conditions allow. That'd at least get the nuts+bolts stuff going, such as healthcare coverage, taxes, etc. Though, depending on where, even such might be disallowed by the "authorities."

Interesting times.
Old 03-25-20, 10:55 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Sorry I'm popping in. Looking for a semi-neutral place to complain.

I'm open. I'm "essential" as are all other bike shops in the state. In the city there are a lot of people who use bikes as transportation (justification). Yes but these people are not working for emergency services, probably shouldn't even be out, and don't actually need the services of a shop on the daily enough to justify shops staying open. The reality is that many of them are simply just selling what they can and running as many tuneups as possible in hopes of being around in a couple of months. I get that but I also think it's the wrong decision. That said, I ended up meeting a customer at his car yesterday to grab 2 tuneups because... "hey why not".

I bought Enzo's ButtonHole Chamois Cream (the company) in January. That business is helping a ton. Weird timing.

My position on not thinking shops are essential seems to be like like walking into the Road forum and telling people that they don't need whatever bike it is that they're riding. People in the industry are losing their mind (in my direction). A few have reached out behind the scenes to agree with me but I am left in the town square covered in rotten fruit. Kind of sick of always being that guy yet can't keep factual information to myself. My life moto seems to be "Hold on, someone it wrong on the internet! I must fix it."

My wife is an RN that is in charge of running an immediate care facility in a Chicago Suburb for one of the largest hospital systems in the country. They are amazing with what they do. They are all pretty ragged at this point and while they won't say it there seems to be an air of resignation among them. Primary care physicians seem to be washing their hands of everything- sending everyone to get tested and refusing to see them. Their facility was being forced to work without any PPE when patients presented without Covid-19 symptoms in some sort of effort to save PPE I guess. As a result they know of at least one patient who came in 3 times in 4 days with non-Covid-19 symptoms that ended up in the ICU with bi-lateral pneumonia from Covid-19 on the 5th day. Taking an RN and Dr out of action because of the lack of PPE.

They've now gone to all drive up. The system is no longer testing anyone unless they are in large enough respiratory distress that they need to be in the ICU. This has been the case since the beginning - that almost no one is actually tested. This is why any actual numbers that anyone shows .... I just can't look. They are at least an order of magnitude off. Every 10 patients they might see who have the symptoms damn near all 10 are simply sent home with instructions on how to self quarantine.

Oh well. She's scared. I'm scared because she is. Every time I try and express that people should just STFU and take things seriously someone has to get political. It's tiring. No matter what the cycling industry is 100% destroyed at this point. It will not be the industry as you know it ever again. OEM's and distributors are now using this as their opportunity to roll out direct to consumer drop shipping to "make it easier on the shops". They will not go back when this is done. I would venture to guess 75% of all shops that are not large chains will be gone when this clears or within the year. Racing is dead. Completely. I am discussing with a lot of the state's promoters but it looks like almost everyone will just pack it in for the year and take a mulligan.

This does have the potential of rearranging everything we have known into a better system in the end though and it might actually refuel the desire some people have to race. Cross season will be NUTS this year.... and we have Nationals in town. So at least we have that going for us. Stay safe folks. I like you gals and guys...well most of you at least.

Old 03-25-20, 11:25 AM
Cypress

A coworker of mine came up with a novel idea:

EVERYONE (minus the absolute barebones crews like doctors) stays home for two weeks, and April 8th now becomes March 25th, then we treat the rest of the year like the two weeks never happened. No bills, all non-essential appointments are pushed back, no stock trading, etc. The only money being spent would be groceries, and only a very small portion of the country would need help paying for two weeks of groceries. That will give the country an entire year to prepare to take those two weeks "back" next year.

It's crazy enough that it might actually work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.