Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Himiway Cruiser or RadRover 5

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 10-11-20, 09:55 PM
WhiteSox Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am looking to get one these 2 bikes. I will need it for local transportation in Chicago, 10 months a year.(Jan and Feb, no shot). Has anyone else compared these 2 and made a choice they are happy with
Old 10-11-20, 10:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
I would look for something that has a Bosch, Brose or Shimano motor. Find a shop that sells it and can support it. Having a relaible e-bike is important and a lot of the cheap stuff and hub drive stuff nobody really wants to touch and the manufacturers really don't want to support you. Rad Power is slightly better but only because they are a better known brand not because of quality or reliability. If you truly want to save money, get a good quality bike with good support behind it and reliable durable parts and you won't have to bring it in for service or live with a poorly functioning bike with problems.

If you are worried about theft check out Wheel and Sproket or Kozy's and they should be able to get you set up on some keyed alike ABUS locks and a great bike as well. They are local Chicago shops that I would shop at if I lived in Chicago.

If you decide to get an internet special, learn how to work on it and get a truing stand and plenty of back up spokes and nipples and lots of knowledge on hub drives and get spare parts early and often. Commuters are rough on bikes and I have seen plenty of commuters in my time in the industry and these internet specials while initially cheap aren't really designed to handle regular commuting, they are more for casual putting around once and a blue moon and even then they sometimes fail quickly. Sure they may say "rugged" or "commuter" and it may be a fat bike and those look beefy and reliable but when they are made cheaply they aren't.