Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bafang hub motor kits, cassette & rotor issues

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-20, 08:25 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts

So the Bafang rear hub has the motor cable coming out the end of the drive side axle. This prohibits the use of a typical lock ring tool for fastening or removing a cassette (or even a freewheel I guess, though at least those can be installed without a tool, just not easily removed without one.) Found a couple hollow center “cog remover”s that might work if their holes are 12mm or can be burred out to that diameter:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-Rear-C...72.m2749.l2649 , which from the thumbnails seems must have an Allen socket inside to accommodate the hex key shown along with the chain whip?

and

https://www.walmart.com/ip/DZT1968-B...Tool/372592615

whose thumbnail clearly shows the hole passing all the way through.

Otherwise both tools appear the same, anyone here familiar with either? Wondering how wide the center holes are, would assume ~10mm to accommodate a standard axle? Worse comes to worst, came across a single cut, Flame Shape Tungsten Carbide Burr, whose 1/2” diameter works out to be a smidgeon over 12mm. Dunno how well it might work on the steel cassette tools but looks like the most appropriate shape for boring out one or the other.

Asked Jay at Bluenergia if they had any cassette tool compatible with their Bafang and he said they did not have any in stock, but that the one on eBay would work. Didn’t mention though whether it would have to be burred out any, which I’d read in some archive was actually the case.

In addition, encountered problems mounting disk rotors to both front and rear hubs: First, the six M5x10mm screws included for each wheel had hex caps, which strip easily and are not recommended for this use — should be torx. Also were a tiny bit too long for the depth of the screw holes, so I added stainless M5 wave washers from Bel-Metric to their M5x10mm torx screws for a rock solid installation. Whew!
Old 11-06-20, 01:20 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Andy, yeah, good point. Mine is from shimano, but you are right, it does not fit, only does 10mm.

I drilled it out to 12mm, but that was the hardest steel I've ever drilled. It pretty much destroyed the drill bit (not the end of the world). I just used a basic 12mm bit (not the burr you linked to) Mine works fine now.

I could swear I read that someone here found one with a 12mm center hole. you could check ebikes.ca and see if they have anything, or maybe even luna.
Old 11-06-20, 01:44 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Well I contacted the vendor on eBay and he said the center hole on the tool I bought is 20mm. Sure doesn’t look like that from the thumbnails though so suspect he was just making $h!t up. OTOH one from Walmart clearly shows the hole goes all the way through, without an intermediate shelf to support a [8mm?] hex key as pictured on eBay.

Anyway, found the step drill referred to in the archives that’s supposedly the correct bit for enlarging the hole in lock ring tools (neither the two of which I ordered the other week are any where near being delivered yet by USPS...)

Kinda crazy though that Bafang doesn’t offer a 12mm cassette tool, they must have a lot of frustrated customers (if anyone besides me is actually buying their rear wheel hub, that is!)
Old 11-06-20, 03:06 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Amazingly the cassette tool from eBay arrived with todays mail, even though tracking showed it still in Hebron, KY.

More amazingly still, the opening is a little over 12mm, just like the latest model steel Burley trailer hitch.

Last edited by andychrist; 11-06-20 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-06-20, 07:22 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Andy, yeah, good point. Mine is from shimano, but you are right, it does not fit, only does 10mm.

I drilled it out to 12mm, but that was the hardest steel I've ever drilled. It pretty much destroyed the drill bit (not the end of the world). I just used a basic 12mm bit (not the burr you linked to) Mine works fine now.

I could swear I read that someone here found one with a 12mm center hole. you could check ebikes.ca and see if they have anything, or maybe even luna.
I needed to drill one out years ago, but the current Park model has a large enough center hole.
Old 11-07-20, 07:30 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by 2old
I needed to drill one out years ago, but the current Park model has a large enough center hole.
Yeah it seems cassette tools and trailer hitches are now all being manufactured to accommodate the 12mm axles found on current rear hub motors. Funny thing is that vendors do not advertise this feature at all, considering the potential as a selling point in today’s hot e-bike market.