Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Coiled Battery Cables?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Coiled Battery Cables?

Old 11-14-20, 06:47 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Question Coiled Battery Cables?

Have seen coiled battery cables on DIY e-bikes, but can’t find them for sale anywhere. Do they exist, or have users soldered their own together with 12 AWG copper coils and XT60 connectors?

My dual drive LWB e-Cumbent has rather long runs from the controller boxes to the battery buckets, and I need to have enough play in the cables to plug them in and out of the Luna DireWolfs. Planning on having the Luna’s 12” cables coming out of the inward facing top middle of the buckets, just behind the seat to keep them protected and hidden best as possible.

Here’s the bike so far, not going to install the [heavy!] new wheels until all rest of the wiring is in place, still waiting for an 8” extension cable for the [front] 500C Bafang display:

Thanks for any “leads”!
Old 11-14-20, 07:54 AM
CigTech2

Bikes: Kent DIY Road Ebike build

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I seen what your talking about, these

These are DIY from a coiled power cord. look at the connectors they are heat sunk and taped. looks custom made to me.
Old 11-14-20, 07:58 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Thanks CigTech2, guess I’ll try to find some of that cable at the local big boxes today.
Old 11-14-20, 08:25 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Did you look ar Luna's cables? There's one set that's 13" long and a "backpack" extender that might suffice. Of course, I could be off base completely.
Old 11-14-20, 09:01 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

No 2old, Luna doesn’t carry any coiled/spiral/stretch cables (that I can find on their site, and they don’t respond to inquiries very well.)

They were actually the first place I checked, because they did stock a bunch of different stuff I needed that was unavailable from the other Bafang dealers and shipped it lightning quick. That 8” 5-pin cable I ordered just a couple days ago is already out for delivery, along with another 52V charger. Woohoo!

Still can’t find any 2-conductor 12 AWG coiled cables anywhere, seems 18 gauge all that’s available.

Last edited by andychrist; 11-14-20 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-14-20, 05:58 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
You might look at 12G with silicone insulation for some ideas. Very soft and flexibel wire. You could wrap it around something.