Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

How to address bike security while on tour.

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 11-25-20, 11:15 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts

Hi eveyone. Long time cyclist here, but I am going to begin doing some bikepacking next year. I'm wondering how you experienced bike touring folks deal with bike security when you stop at stores and restaurants or anywhere else when you might need to step away from your bike for a few minutes while out on tour? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-25-20, 12:03 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Do what you do at home. If it's a store with a hard floor and that invites people to use shopping carts, I wheel the bicycle right into and around with me.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 11-25-20, 01:03 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
The quality of lock varies depending on where I am, and some places I would keep riding instead of trust a lock. On the other hand there have been places where I did not use a lock for several days in a row. Situational awareness is the key.

I usually just use a small cable lock, roughly 3/8 inch diameter, plus a small skier type lock for a quick run onto a convenience store. My valuables are in a handlebar bag that goes in the store with me.

My cable is not big enough to go around both wheels in the frame. I usually use bolt on skewers instead of quick release when touring.

My titanium bike looks more expensive, which it is. That bike gets a better lock, an Abus Bordo link type lock.

On one tour I did with a friend, he was quite concerned about theft in that area, he brought a huge chain and paddlock. I thought it was excessive but he carried it instead of me. See photo.

The skier type lock in photo below. It is quick and weighs nothing.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 11-25-20 at 01:07 PM.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 11-25-20, 01:22 PM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
If touring with a partner or a group, we go in the store in turns.

If alone, I take my bike in with me and either park it inside the store near the registers, or wheel it around.
Old 11-25-20, 01:48 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Ive used an inexpensive Bell brand lock that has a key. Its the same thing I use when I ride with my kids to the library. I also used something like MSN- its twisted metal encased in plastic and retracts into a small holder. I borrowed it for a trip and its great- light and small.
Ill take the chance that people walking by arent carrying bolt cutters, so deterrent locks work well enough.
Old 11-25-20, 02:24 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I never bring a lock and never leave my bike out of my sight. It helps to travel in two though :-)
Old 11-25-20, 02:45 PM
Steve0000

Bikes: LHT disc, Cannondale CAAD8, Cannondale Super 6, Avanti Agressor MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
As Tourist says, situational awareness. We often don't lock the bikes when stopping in a small town in our country. We almost always did lock them when in Europe since the loss of them would have been a lot more severe to us. Or one of us stayed outside with the bikes.
Using a lock stops the opportunistic thief and that will stop most problems. If someone really wants to steal the bike, they may have tools to break any normal lock. Trying to cater for every situation will ruin your holiday by making you paranoid.
Wheeling loaded cycles around a shop has never been an option to us.
Keep you valuables in your handlebar bag and always take it with you when off the bike.
Old 11-25-20, 03:58 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I have left my bike outside unlocked, in places where it seemed safe. I've wheeled it around stores in other places. In camp, I've never locked my bike but i have attached my tent to it on occasion.

Now that I've moved from the Midwest to the PNW where bike theft seems more prevalent, I'll likely reconsider those strategies.
Old 11-25-20, 04:43 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
This is my shopping at home:

Pushing the bicycle around the store makes the most sense to me. If I leave it unattended while I do my shopping, that means it's outside of my control and liable to cause a problem for someone. If I keep it with me, it's no different than someone pushing a shopping cart. Other shoppers treat me as if I was pushing a shopping cart. As long as you're not riding it in the store, no one will have a reason to complain. You're buying stuff and that's what they want you to do.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 11-25-20, 05:37 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN

My titanium bike looks more expensive, which it is. That bike gets a better lock, an Abus Bordo link type lock.
On my Hab Ti bike, I took a rag and acetone and removed all the decals which screamed out that it was titanium in order to reduce appeal.

Also, when you leave your bike for a short time and don't have a lock, take off your helmet and snap the chin strap within your spokes on a wheel which will prevent someone from just hopping on your bike and riding off.
Old 11-25-20, 07:17 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,364 Posts
Loosen the quick releases so Mr. Thief gets a thrill
Old 11-25-20, 09:15 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
In camp, I've never locked my bike but i have attached my tent to it on occasion.
Like this?

550 cord with a truckers hitch to tension it between the bike and tent. Any movement of the bike would be transferred in to the tent pole frame = shake the tent and make noise.

Likes For KC8QVO:
Old 11-26-20, 08:03 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
As amply stated by others, use common sense, observe, be situationally aware, and improvise.
Coil locks have always been my preference, with the ability to easily attach to a picnic table, a tree, two bikes together etc.

And be friendly and presentable for when politely asking a cashier to keep an eye on your bike inside a store for a few minutes. Be a good judge of character also in this regard, ie grandma selling raffle tickets outside general store probably is safe, a couple of shady looking bored dudes outside an urban setting, less so.

buyer beware, cyclist beware.
Old 11-26-20, 09:10 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
In camp, I've never locked my bike but i have attached my tent to it on occasion.
Watch out for Mongolian horsemen: https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/aug/17/china.world

As far as what I do, "it depends". I do carry a lightweight cable - mostly to make it awkward to wheel away the bike. However, there are also places I've leaned my bike against outside of the store and just gone in. There are also other places, I decided to ride past or wait until I found a hotel room to put my bike - before walking out to stores. I've had a few small things stolen from the bike: a bell in India, perhaps a reflector in the Yukon. My partner had a pump taken in a small village in Siberia. Knock on wood, the only bike I've had stolen was within two miles of my residence in Fort Collins, Colorado when I went into a grocery store and hadn't locked the bike.
Old 11-26-20, 09:46 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
I go along with situational awareness, cable lock as a deterrent and valuables in a carry bag. Real thieves can carry portable angle grinders and get through almost anything. Mostly I try to deter crimes of opportunity.

Also some other tricks. Park in the highest gear so it's hard to take off, Instead of a whole chain and lock, just add a smaller lock through the crankset. Clip your helmet through the wheel. Little things to slow down a thief.

I've shown this before. It's a personal panic alarm that cost about $5 that I've hot glued some velcro to. The cord goes around the wheel so it sets off the alarm when the wheel moves. It emits 130db which I hope would startle a thief and make them ditch and run or at least let me know it's being taken. I add it at night if I am worried.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 11-26-20 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-26-20, 10:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
I never bring a lock and never leave my bike out of my sight. It helps to travel in two though :-)
Do you tow the second one behind while riding?
Old 11-26-20, 10:42 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
Happy Feet, I might have to steal that Panic Alarm idea from you, really like that. I notice they have some with a pull pin that would be easy to install.

Last edited by robow; 11-26-20 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-26-20, 12:04 PM
djb

Originally Posted by indyfabz
never scoff at redundancy indyfabzfabz.
Old 11-26-20, 12:40 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
:-)

Likes For PedalingWalrus:
Old 11-26-20, 10:41 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
A specialized ultracompact rig that can taken inside most places? (.... arguably airplane carry-on)
Old 11-27-20, 07:59 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 419 Posts
I've carried a light weight bike storage cover. I put it on at night and when I can't keep an eye on the bike. I think its a much bigger leap for an oportunist to risk the extra minutes to take the cover off to see if there's any thing worth catching a beating or police attention over. Present bike also has a frame lock and a cable.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 11-27-20, 08:10 AM
djb

PW
good comeback with the tandem shot btw!
Likes For djb:
Old 11-28-20, 05:43 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Someday, when it becomes available/ practical, I will have a hidden built in GPS that reports to my cell phone. Then I can leave a nice note on the bicycle that they will be tracked down and arrested if my bicycle is stolen.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 11-28-20, 07:37 PM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
Happy Feet, I might have to steal that Panic Alarm idea from you, really like that. I notice they have some with a pull pin that would be easy to install.
+1. That is seriously brilliant.
Old 11-29-20, 07:09 AM
djb

Originally Posted by robow
I can't believe no-one has told him yet that he better bring earplugs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.