Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Genesis 'GOHE' mystery bike. Is it possible? - a $300 Aluminum Gravel Bike with STIs

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Genesis 'GOHE' mystery bike. Is it possible? - a $300 Aluminum Gravel Bike with STIs

Old 04-20-21, 06:02 PM
mikehuangsd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
What's the warranty get you if you need maintenance? Probably nothing. I know people that have gotten parts from walmart and I was surprised how generous they were. But they won't fix those bikes.
I do not know.

I will not be buying one (or two) of these bikes after all. I already have 8 bikes. It's a sickness.

Also, the wife said 'no.'
Old 04-20-21, 07:09 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
That big red sign hanging from the front hub is the same sign you see on bikes they sell at Walmart.
Old 04-20-21, 08:55 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
I'd actually guess that the shifters are sensah shifters and not microshift. If so I've heard ok things about them and they'll work for a while. Not a bad looking bike but should be professionally assembled for best results.
Old 04-21-21, 12:03 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by mikehuangsd
blah blah blah.... I might buy two. One for me and one for your mom. Cuz y'all are nuts.
My mom wouldn't even ride one of those. And you're calling US nuts...
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 04-21-21, 04:42 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Thread closed for moderator review.

Old 04-21-21, 08:32 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,440 Posts
Thread reopened. It was cleaned up to remove inappropriate posting.
Old 04-21-21, 09:07 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Thread reopened.
not worth it.
Old 04-21-21, 09:46 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Also, the wife said 'no.'
Smart lady.
Old 04-21-21, 10:33 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 407 Posts
hey, N+1/2 it's ok, like 'consenting adults'.
Old 04-21-21, 10:37 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
It has many features that resemble those found on a real gravel bike, but that certainly does not mean it is a good bike.

My 1995 Hyundai Accent had air conditioning and a CD player, just like a new Mercedes or Porsche did in the same time period. I do not recommend running out to grab a 1995 Hyundai Accent, either. Features != Quality
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 04-21-21, 02:51 PM
mikehuangsd

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
My 1995 Hyundai Accent had air conditioning and a CD player, just like a new Mercedes or Porsche did in the same time period. I do not recommend running out to grab a 1995 Hyundai Accent, either. Features != Quality
not a great analogy really, cuz I'll bet that your 1995 Hyundai cost 1/4th what a Mercedes or Porsche would, and it's probably still on the road. And it got you to the grocery store just as fast as a Porsche.
Old 04-21-21, 08:33 PM
mikehuangsd

Originally Posted by unterhausen
There used to be a number of people on here that defended the Denali...
The Kent GMC Denali missed on a few key points, but they still probably sold a million of them. I read somewhere that it's likely the best selling bicycle of all time.

Mark my words, Kent hit it out of the park with this Genesis BOHE - They got mostly every detail correct/current for a gravel bike - Once they put it up on Amazon like they did with the Denali, maybe in a couple colors, they're gonna sell like hotcakes. Which is GOOD, because it puts downward price pressure on the big name bikes.

Oh look - The BOHE was available yesterday at Walmart.com, but is now SOLD OUT. Booooo.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kent-Gene...Blue/165760666

Last edited by mikehuangsd; 04-21-21 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-21-21, 09:38 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Mark my words, Kent hit it out of the park with this Genesis BOHE - They got mostly every detail correct/current for a gravel bike -
what makes this even more impressive is they hit it out of the park without even realizing they are playing the game.
It'll be tough for them to capitalize on a product they don't think they sell.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 04-21-21 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-21-21, 11:11 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Y'all want to argue economics of a bike that is 80% as 'good' as bikes that currently cost 3x-5x as much...

I just get excited when I see a good value, and this is a ton of bike, with current geometry and mostly-current components...
80%? Try more like 50%, or even less. That bike is garbage. The best component on it is the Rear Derailleur. If you intend on riding it a few times a year, it’s a good value. If you intend on riding it daily, you’d be doing a lot of maintenance. These bikes have one low end name brand component hung off it and they seem it based on that, the rest of it is as cheaply sourced as they can find...how do you think they get to that price point?

Buy nice, or buy twice or three or four....

I’m not saying people should only buy high end bikes, but buying cheaply made bikes, assembled by a guy at a big box store who was building dressers for display yesterday and is stocking melamine in the kitchen aisle tomorrow is not smart.
Old 04-22-21, 10:09 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
not a great analogy really, cuz I'll bet that your 1995 Hyundai cost 1/4th what a Mercedes or Porsche would, and it's probably still on the road. And it got you to the grocery store just as fast as a Porsche.
Nope. It was unreliable when I had it, and it deteriorated despite my best efforts like no car I have owned before or after.

Maybe a better analogy would be 1995 Hyundai Accent vs 1995 Honda Civic. Identical in intended function, same features, but one is much lower quality.
Old 04-22-21, 11:34 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I felt like the Denali was dangerous when brand new. Bad brakes, bad rims. I have a lot of experience truing horrible wheels, and I couldn't get the wheels trued. These low-end bikes are built to sell to people that think they want a bike, but will never ride it. Those people are the bedrock of the bike industry in general, but the big box store bikes would sell 1/10 the volume if it weren't for people that never ride them.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 04-22-21, 02:35 PM
mikehuangsd

Originally Posted by Badger6
...but buying cheaply made bikes, assembled by a guy at a big box store who was building dressers for display yesterday and is stocking melamine in the kitchen aisle tomorrow is not smart.
Let's continue beating this dead horse, and just agree to disagree. I am right, the BOHE is a fine bike, y'all are wrong, case closed, everyone's happy.

joking aside, cheapo bikes ordered through Walmart.com come 90% assembled, you mostly just put the handelbar and front wheel on. It's easier than assembling a dresser, and if a Walmart bike falls apart and you die a horrible death, then that's really on you for not having the sense to tighten things down first before sprinting off into traffic.
Old 04-22-21, 02:38 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts

Thread closed