Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

bullhorns to replace my mountain bike straight bars?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-21, 06:08 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts

I bought some bullhorns only to discover the ends are a larger diameter. are there bullhorns with a diameter that will work for alloy shifters and brake levers? I would like to have more hand positions. my commuter bike is the same setup and I tend to ride them both in a day sometimes 50 miles or more with the same hand position day in and day out. I cant handle pressure on the heel of my hand as it makes my hand go numb because of tendonitis . this is on our tandem. so like those ergo bar ends with the flats are out.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 07-08-21 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-08-21, 06:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
You might try one of the alt bars? Or just sticking with some bar ends? Personally a set of Koga Denham bars or Surly Moloko bars would be my top choice however I could not be without my Ergon grips but you might just need to try them in a different position then just flat angle them slightly and they might actually help out a bit. A lot of people keep a neutral position and that doesn't work for everyone.

Bullhorns aren't really designed for shifters and hydro brakes they are designed generally for mechanical brakes that can use TT brake levers and for shifting typically you would have aerobar extensions with bar end shifters or if you run Di2 you can run brakes with shifters on the "horns". You can find some that are consistent diameter but it still might be tough trying to wrangle everything on it and work on it easily.

Also just a useful note for you and any mechanic working on the bike you have an older Nyon display which is cross compatible with Intuvia stuff not the 2020/2021 Nyon stuff. You may have already known this but just in case since you might need to change some stuff up regarding the display.
Old 07-08-21, 08:07 PM
fooferdoggie 

I cant handle swept back the bike came with them and it was an instant dislike. a few weeks ago when I did 250 miles in a week I had textured silicone grips. my hands felt like I was gripping sandpaper. I had to buy new smooth grips. I just found these while searching for your recommendations. they might be the way to go
https://www.amazon.com/UPANBIKE-Butt...710301&sr=8-27

the bike came with intuvua and I got a good deal on the old Nyon. works pretty well though bosch needs to improve navigation it sucks. but tis g=cool to to see how many watts of power the motor is using per mile. the watt meter only works for what I am putting out since the motor is in front. I have the new Nyon on my commuter. I have worked out the bluetooth bugs.
Old 07-08-21, 09:03 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 272 Posts
Finding what works for you is a trial and error kind of problem. You might try Ergon Grips. They make them for straight and swept back bars.
Likes For Rick:
Old 07-08-21, 09:28 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Rick
Finding what works for you is a trial and error kind of problem. You might try Ergon Grips. They make them for straight and swept back bars.
they hurt the hell of my hands. I cant handle the heel of my hand resting on anything for a long time it causes my tendinitis to act up and makes my hands numb. the bike came with them and swept back bars. I hang my thumb off the grip so the heel does not sit on the grip. I don't need a lot of leverage on the tandem since you don't really sprint on it but I do go mountain biking on it.
Old 07-08-21, 10:28 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Mountain specific bull horns are sometimes called brahma bars. They tend to be pretty wide though, unless you can find an older pair of the Scott brand AT-3 that came in a couple widths.

I'd try the butterfly/trekking bars, they tend to have very little sweep for the main grip mounting section of bar.
Likes For wesmamyke:
Old 07-09-21, 07:00 AM
mitchmellow62

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I cant handle swept back the bike came with them and it was an instant dislike. a few weeks ago when I did 250 miles in a week I had textured silicone grips. my hands felt like I was gripping sandpaper. I had to buy new smooth grips. I just found these while searching for your recommendations. they might be the way to go

the bike came with intuvua and I got a good deal on the old Nyon. works pretty well though bosch needs to improve navigation it sucks. but tis g=cool to to see how many watts of power the motor is using per mile. the watt meter only works for what I am putting out since the motor is in front. I have the new Nyon on my commuter. I have worked out the bluetooth bugs.
You'll get better prices with free shipping if you buy directly from upanbike.com . Caveat: the free shipping from China is s..l..o..w!

Originally Posted by Rick
Ergonomic grips seem to be largely misunderstood. They should be adjusted to keep your wrists relatively straight; actually 10-15 degrees of extension. That is the neutral position of the wrist and produces the least amount of pressure in the carpal tunnel. This should be good for tendonitis. Many of the ergonomic grips I see are adjusted so their "flat" dimension is horizontal and so in many cases produce significant wrist extension.
Likes For mitchmellow62:
Old 07-09-21, 10:19 AM
fooferdoggie 

with me its not wrist position it is the heel of my hand resting on anything. Years ago they gave me wrist supports but the strap went over the heel of my thumb and that would cause issues. so when I hold the grip that part is not touching the grip. even padded gloves cause pressure it does not take much for me. Now what mirror to mount ot the butterfly bars?

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 07-09-21 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-09-21, 10:22 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Simplest solution, assuming it doesn't interfere with your Garmin device or whatever it is, would be clip-on aero bars. I had an ulnar nerve problem that necessitated operations at my wrist and elbow and have had to use aero bars on all my bikes ever since, so I know how good they are at protecting hands.

But I'd use aero bars on my bikes even if I didn't need to, now that I know their advantages. With my mountain bike, I was able to keep all of the original shifting and braking components, and I can relieve all pressure from my hands by resorting to the clip-on bars whenever I like. Sit upright in traffic, get aero on the open road. I can't think of any disadvantages, except the short acclimation period needed to get used to using them.
Old 07-09-21, 08:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie

Might be the length of stem. You have a steerer tube extender so being more upright seems to be the thing you are looking for so maybe a touch longer stem or a differently swept back bar (some are pretty extreme and highly uncomfortable).

The new Nyon is awesome, maybe not perfect on the navigation but really nice to have and certainly not terrible but I might do things differently if I had ability to code and such and worked for Bosch. I haven't really played with the old Nyon much but remember seeing videos and reading up on it and wanting it bad but so glad they improved it and released it in the U.S.

What I really hope for is more integration with say Garmin Varia radar stuff and maybe some ability to control my telular cellephone (really just the music contained on it but don't really need it). Or I would take a Bosch radar system that does the same thing.
Old 07-09-21, 09:19 PM
fooferdoggie 

here is the end result so far. I missed getting the mirror in the picture. I may lift them up a little bit but I only had a 40 minute ride. it will take some getting used to much narrower bars and moving my hands around. I want at least two sets of brake levers to feel really comfy. the shop only had the smaller diameter bars so I had to use an adapter but the nyon did not have the spare spacers tp fit sp I had to use a bunch of rubber strips. I will play with the setup- and see. I debated on using all bar tape but I like the larger diameter. maybe I will get another roll and build it up and get rid of the grips. I will test it and see.
the old nYon has its cool things like more info on one screen and it has a watts per mile meter showing how much juice your using. when we are cruising at about 18.5 we are only using around 4 watts per mile. its altimeter is always off since you have to manually adjust it each time. but a cool feature is it keeps your last used asset level. so you don't have to adjust it each time. but both wont let you use wifi and bluetooth at the same time. the old one you cant turn both of them or bluetooth wont work at all. Plus you can setup the screens online makes it easier. You really need a pause/end ride button so each time it turns off it does not make a new ride. better integration with strava would be nice auto uploading. n notifications on the new Nyon and the old one wont show you anything while riding.

​​​​​​​
Old 07-11-21, 08:47 PM
fooferdoggie 

with some tweaking this setup works well. went mountain biking with our tandem today. getting the shifter at the right angle is a bit tricky if you don't get it right its kinda clunky if your not shutting too the larger cog at the right angle. I think I will remove the grips and put a double layer of grip tape on. it feels better the the grips.