Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Sealant & puncture protection for front loading cargo bike

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 06-28-21, 06:20 PM
mattkime

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

After several years of Bullitt (front loading cargo bike ownership I got my first flat - my wheel found a small nail! (I've been running Marathon tires) I had a slime tube and didn't notice the flat until the next day so I suspect the slime worked as intended. While replacing the tube I've had a couple of thoughts -
- I can probably patch the slime tube but then it won't have slime inside it anymore so I probably need to buy a new one.
- I could get a tube and then add sealant. Would there be any advantage to this? Seems like I'd need to switch to a presta valve tube but I have no idea as I'm new to sealant.
- I swap tires 2x a year and want to make sure sealant won't interfere.
---
Currently running a normal tube and feeling a bit exposed. I take my 2 kids to and from daycare each day so flat avoidance is at a premium. On my road bike I ride Conti GP5000's and call it doe.
Old 07-04-21, 06:14 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Have you considered a switch to Marathon Plus tires?

Originally Posted by mattkime
After several years of Bullitt (front loading cargo bike ownership I got my first flat - my wheel found a small nail! (I've been running Marathon tires) I had a slime tube and didn't notice the flat until the next day so I suspect the slime worked as intended. While replacing the tube I've had a couple of thoughts -
- I can probably patch the slime tube but then it won't have slime inside it anymore so I probably need to buy a new one.
- I could get a tube and then add sealant. Would there be any advantage to this? Seems like I'd need to switch to a presta valve tube but I have no idea as I'm new to sealant.
- I swap tires 2x a year and want to make sure sealant won't interfere.
---
Currently running a normal tube and feeling a bit exposed. I take my 2 kids to and from daycare each day so flat avoidance is at a premium. On my road bike I ride Conti GP5000's and call it doe.
Likes For timdow:
Old 07-13-21, 05:49 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
If you don't have tubeless rim, get some tubes with removable cores and run some Orange Seal in them or any of your favorite sealant. Acts like slime, only less...., uh......Green.

Old 07-14-21, 02:06 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I feel like your original system was working just fine
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-06-21, 10:45 PM
mattkime

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Follow up - I went with Tire Armour and Flatout sealant. It rides well, I don't notice a significant change in ride quality. I'll report next time I get a flat.