Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 08-02-21, 10:35 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I never had to go to an auto shop as a customer but I went to several bike shops before I found 'My LBS'. Someone recommended a store to me so I went in there with cash in my pocket to buy a bike. This was probably 1987? No employee would acknowledge me and I browsed bikes for some time. Finally I just left. At another shop the guy was very helpful, pulled down every bike I wanted to see, put pedals on them, etc. I bought a bike from him but later found the shop I dealt with for 30+ years. This guy gave me deals on everything and treated me like a friend. He thinks I sent him a lot of business. I tried. He retired in June. Frack.

One time I needed a tire for my mtb and went to a shop near home. The guy seemed very annoyed that I was even there. I told him what I wanted and he pulled some wire-bead bike path special. No, I want a real mountain bike tire. He was such a dick I never went in there again.

I think so much of business is just common sense. I dealt with a big auto parts store when I worked at an independent shop. We were one of their smaller accounts, I'm sure. I went there looking for a part and the counter man said they didn't have it and didn't know where to get it. I was leaving and the owner of the store asked me what I was looking for. He studied it and remembered they had ordered one for someone else and they hadn't picked it up so he sold it to me and ordered another. He spent his time with me and probably only made a couple bucks on that part but I was impressed with his service.

I bought a used motorcycle from a shop and when I needed a part, if he didn't have it he would pull it off of a bike on the showroom floor for me.
I often wonder how well I could do running a business, when I see how badly run a lot of places are and are somehow still doing fine.

I've definitely gone into bike shops who acted like I was an imposition for being there and wanting to give them money.
Old 08-02-21, 11:03 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer

I've definitely gone into bike shops who acted like I was an imposition for being there and wanting to give them money.
Yeah, I just don't understand that. My favorite shop, the one where the owner retired and sold out, actually fired an employee because of so many customer complaints about his attitude. He was a bit dickish to me but I didn't care because I went in to see the owner, not him.
Old 08-03-21, 11:16 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Bike parts are in crazy demand.

Went to the lbs for a shift cable and the manger I know says "no problem I'll grab that."

He comes back a minute later saying he has two, but they have both been reserved for booked repairs.

The bloody bike shop itself can't get more cables until August 15th.
Old 08-04-21, 04:46 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Watched the women's team pursuit yesterday. Besides being impressed with how fast they are, I'd never seen (or so least I don't remember seeing) bikes quite like Great Britain's. The forks are huge, super far from the wheel. But it makes sense, because I think that interface where the wheel has to shove air between the fork is a high loss area.

Interesting design.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 08-04-21, 03:25 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
What was white matter all over the hands of the Italian team pursuit squad? Aero gel?
Old 08-04-21, 05:06 PM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Watched the women's team pursuit yesterday. Besides being impressed with how fast they are, I'd never seen (or so least I don't remember seeing) bikes quite like Great Britain's. The forks are huge, super far from the wheel. But it makes sense, because I think that interface where the wheel has to shove air between the fork is a high loss area.

Interesting design.
Coming soon to TT course near you https://cyclingtips.com/2021/08/hope...eid=1390285279
Old 08-04-21, 05:08 PM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Bike parts are in crazy demand.
I have a stock of DA chains because when I couldn't get one when I needed it earlier this summer, so I bought 4 or 5 as soon as they became available since I have 3 bikes in rotation.
Old 08-04-21, 06:36 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by ntnyln
Only $25k or so. I also think they're kind of hideous. But that won't stop anyone.

In other news, I'm absolutely exhausted of trying to figure out what is and isn't safe enough to be worth it for my young kids over the last couple years. I'm just drained. It constantly changes and we have to constantly adjust and weigh things. I think my wife is maybe getting closer to getting vaccinated, which is promising, but we still have to worry about the kids.
Old 08-05-21, 05:52 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
What was white matter all over the hands of the Italian team pursuit squad? Aero gel?
Chalk. To keep their hands dry and solidify their grip on the bars.

I have a stock of DA chains because when I couldn't get one when I needed it earlier this summer, so I bought 4 or 5 as soon as they became available since I have 3 bikes in rotation.
I had my LBS order me replacement chains some time last year. When they arrived, he had ordered 2 of each for me (I needed 10, 11 and 12 speed.) I was about to only grab one of each, but the shop manager said, I thought you wanted two each. So I took them. At the time, I didn't need two - I really didn't need any, but I like always having a back up chain on hand if needed. Now, I'm really glad I did.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 08-05-21, 06:00 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Last week, I clicked on one of the many Banana Republic sale emails I receive. I kind of need to replace some of my shorts.

I noticed their facemasks were on sale. Five packs of the regular masks and three packs of the lighter weight masks were on sale for $2.50, regularly $25. I guess with the pandemic supposedly being over, retailers are trying to clear out unsold masks. Anyway, I ordered something like 40 masks. I figure, at the rate things are going, we're probably going to need them.

(I should add that last year, my wife bought some masks from Athleta, which is owned by Gap, which owns BR, and we really liked them. They were probably our favorite masks.)
Old 08-09-21, 10:26 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I often wonder how well I could do running a business, when I see how badly run a lot of places are and are somehow still doing fine.

It is at the same time both way more complicated than it ever seems and also just as simple as you describe.

I can talk about this for hours (and I have on the podcast from time to time).

The cycling industry is a little special in that there isn't enough money in the industry. This means almost everyone who is in it is there because of the passion or love of the activity/sport. If there was more money then actual professionals would be more involved than they are. Think about other jobs you've had in life. Most of those jobs weren't run by someone who just had an undying passion for "TPS Reports" that started at a young age. Instead it was a job staffed by people who were good at doing the specific business tasks involved (or at least showed some experience or talent for it). This is not the case for the vast majority of cycling businesses. Quite honestly I wouldn't be here still if I was a run of the mill cycling business owner. If I hadn't spent years in an actual industry learning the specifics of accounting, costing, etc.

So yeah most smaller shops suck when it comes to business. The big ones like Trek shops have Trek doing their accounting for them, have sales training, POP displays and literature, etc. If those aren't doing well then it's the management.

As for being treated like "being more of a nuisance than a customer" - I know where that comes from. Sometimes it's the customer that comes in with the perfectly normal ask but it just so happens the answer is a long one that most don't follow and they aren't going to be happy with the result. Sometimes it's that, as an owner, I know this is going to take a ton of time and I'm not able to get adequately compensated for it and the whole time I am going to be thinking about all that better paying work that has been waiting around longer...

Sometimes it's just that customer that comes in and presses the wrong buttons. Maybe it's asking a question and not being satisfied with the answer. "I want to turn my 1988 Schwinn World Sport into tubeless. I read on the internet that is how I will stop having flats." while I might go into detail on all the specifics about how that's going to be extremely difficult and/or extremely expensive before coming to my conclusion about using the right tires, pumping up the tires before every ride, etc. other shops will just go, "yeah/no. that's not going to work."

So yeah - lots of shops suck at being small businesses. After having spent a lifetime watching my mother run her own small businesses and having had a couple myself - doing this one for the last 12 years (geez....) it is never what it is cracked up to be. There are piles of well meaning, awesomely executing, passionate and talented business owners who went bust. It's more than working hard and treating every customer was the best you can.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 08-09-21, 10:28 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

This is our industry's version of "I bought piles of bitcoin when it first started."

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 08-09-21, 10:28 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Strained my hamstring pretty badly a week ago waterskiing. I'm an intermediate waterskier at best and we were skiing behind a neighbors jetski. I towed my 15 yr old around in the morning and the jetski display was set to kph. So, later that day when we were getting ready to ski I told my son once I'm up to go ~35kph, 40 at the fastest. Turns out my neighbor had changed the display to mph, so when I got up, my son immediately ramped it up to 35mph. I yelled 'slower' and before I could even let go I tumbled at 35mph and hurt my right hamstring pretty badly. Pain was pretty intense if I tried bending forward at all - I can normally touch my toes and couldn't touch my knees with my right leg straight. I went to an orthopedic and they diagnosed at as a bad strain, but not a tear or rupture. I was given rehab stretches and strength exercises and have been icing it regularly, and it is getting slightly better. My road race season is done (only 1 crit and weeknight races left anyway), and I'm just hoping I'm healed for CX in a month. Riding easy doesn't seem to hurt it, but I think dismounts/mounts and runups will be a no-go for at least a few weeks if not more.
Old 08-09-21, 11:55 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
cmh Heal up fast. I hate soft tissue injuries.
Old 08-10-21, 09:14 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh
Strained my hamstring pretty badly a week ago waterskiing. I'm an intermediate waterskier at best and we were skiing behind a neighbors jetski. I towed my 15 yr old around in the morning and the jetski display was set to kph. So, later that day when we were getting ready to ski I told my son once I'm up to go ~35kph, 40 at the fastest. Turns out my neighbor had changed the display to mph, so when I got up, my son immediately ramped it up to 35mph. I yelled 'slower' and before I could even let go I tumbled at 35mph and hurt my right hamstring pretty badly. Pain was pretty intense if I tried bending forward at all - I can normally touch my toes and couldn't touch my knees with my right leg straight. I went to an orthopedic and they diagnosed at as a bad strain, but not a tear or rupture. I was given rehab stretches and strength exercises and have been icing it regularly, and it is getting slightly better. My road race season is done (only 1 crit and weeknight races left anyway), and I'm just hoping I'm healed for CX in a month. Riding easy doesn't seem to hurt it, but I think dismounts/mounts and runups will be a no-go for at least a few weeks if not more.
Good lord, that's not something you'd normally check. Heal up well.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 08-10-21, 09:19 AM
carpediemracing 

I hurt my back picking up a Lego Saturday morning. I made it through work Sunday and half of Monday by virtue of about 16-20 Advil a day, by staying mostly standing (sitting hurt). I left work very early Monday. I think it's literally the first or second time I left significantly early since I started working there almost 5 years ago, so it was significant that I left 4 hours early. I was absolutely exhausted and fell asleep very early, woke up today 10 hours later feeling a lot better.

This morning I was brushing my teeth and something didn't look right in the mirror, it was distorted. But I don't have a wacky carnival mirror in the bathroom. My whole body was curved to the left. So I lined up my belly button at the edge of the mirror. Virtually my entire head was still in the mirror, just my right ear was off the edge.

So my body is tilted to the left about 5-6 inches between my waist and neck.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 08-10-21, 10:20 AM
cmh

Yikes, that sounds like a serious kink.
Likes For cmh:
Old 08-12-21, 09:38 PM
carpediemracing 

lol I guess it is. I'm still off enough that when I mentioned the crookedness to a coworker he looked at me, up down up whoa! I look like I'm leaning like Jimmy Dean cool lean. So yeah, a bit off.

On the bike my body adjusts so I'm not looking at the left pedal, but obviously something is happening. Still though on Zwift I decided to go for it and did two sprints that were basically tied with my PRs from 1 and 2 years ago. So I guess it's either not bothering me that much or I'm stronger than before and even taking a bit off the top leaves me with enough for a good effort. I think it's the former, not the latter, since I haven't been breaking PRs before my back thing, but still.
Old 08-15-21, 08:22 PM
carpediemracing 

Was debating hang out with Missus or glue a tire. I was at work all day and she prepared a nice meal for when I got home. Gluing a tire takes me forever, and would put me well past the Missus's sleep time. However I'd like to use the wheel Tuesday, and I don't feel comfortable racing a wheel the day after I glue the tire. I told her my quandary, minus the "day after gluing" because she already knows that.

"You really need to glue the tire if you want to race that wheel Tuesday."

I glued the tire. Just finished, probably took me an hour. I'm very fortunate to have her as the Missus.
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 08-16-21, 08:43 AM
cmh

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Was debating hang out with Missus or glue a tire. I was at work all day and she prepared a nice meal for when I got home. Gluing a tire takes me forever, and would put me well past the Missus's sleep time. However I'd like to use the wheel Tuesday, and I don't feel comfortable racing a wheel the day after I glue the tire. I told her my quandary, minus the "day after gluing" because she already knows that.

"You really need to glue the tire if you want to race that wheel Tuesday."

I glued the tire. Just finished, probably took me an hour. I'm very fortunate to have her as the Missus.
Sounds like it is time to go tubeless .
Old 08-17-21, 09:15 AM
carpediemracing 

haha. I'm good with tubulars. Was a disc wheel and I committed to tubulars for them.

More seriously though I have rim brakes and 10s, no electric anything. At some point I'll have to upgrade and it's going to hurt. Going on 16 years now, I upgraded to 10s in 2005.

Oh I do have disc brakes on the tandem. But that's it.
Old 08-17-21, 10:33 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I've committed to quitting the sport before going into any major upgrades
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 08-17-21, 10:45 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
haha. I'm good with tubulars. Was a disc wheel and I committed to tubulars for them.

More seriously though I have rim brakes and 10s, no electric anything. At some point I'll have to upgrade and it's going to hurt. Going on 16 years now, I upgraded to 10s in 2005.

If you're not concerned about weight, 10 speed parts should be around for a while yet in Shimano. I'm all 10 speed Campagnolo and I see that day of pain rapidly approaching.
Old 08-17-21, 11:10 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

As you already know - the 10spd stuff is great and there's no real reason to switch.

Also - yes the new stuff really very very nice.

None of this makes pedaling a bike any easier.

Some of it makes stopping a bike slightly easier.

Everything new is $$$$$$$$$$$$ if you can even find it. Took roughly a year to build the last major road bike project I worked on. Left the parts up to the customer then I got tired of waiting and we spend a few hours tracking down individual parts to finish the build. Used Amazon, Friends on Facebook, Misc online shops, called in favors, etc. It's nuts and non-sustainable.

Old 08-17-21, 12:11 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by himespau
If you're not concerned about weight.... I'm all 10 speed Campagnolo and I see that day of pain rapidly approaching.
Not concerned about weight. I'm the one with a 300g stem, 300g saddle... although I do have a lighter crankset, and I have tubular carbon race wheels.

I'm all 10s Campy, even the 9s Shimano drivetrain tandem from 2005 or so has retrofitted Campy 10s levers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.