Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Got any recommendations for a bike floor pump?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Got any recommendations for a bike floor pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-21, 06:44 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
Harbor Freight has a very good , inexpensive pump which has both SCHRADER and PRESTA...........the plastic nozzle has Schrader on TOP and Presta on BOTTOM in the same stacked fashion as an over & under headlight assembly from a 1965 to 1967 FORD, CADILLAC, or PONTIAC....
See the picture in the link below from Harbor Freight's website. You'll notice that the picture has the LEVER in the "DOWN" Position (or you could call it the "Install-Release" position)..................You see that you Install It on to your Valve Stem and THEN YOU MUST FLIP THE LEVER "UP" to secure it.........and of course THEN ONCE PUMPING IS COMPLETED, You Must Flip The LEVER back "DOWN" to RELEASE IT.
That other little off white, almost clear tiny plastic thingy attached near the top of the pump IS JUST A SMALL CONTAINER which includes a standard Football/Basketball INFLATION NEEDLE.....that is how the pump comes from Harbor Freight....that off white almost clear plastic thingy small container that houses the INFLATION NEEDLE is not permanently attached to the pump, and can be removed in two seconds.

My advice would be to go direct to harbor freight DOT COM and then WHERE IT ASKS YOU: 'What Are You Looking For Today?' just answer: bicycle pump.
Why? Because doing it this way will likely also give you the applicable 15% or 10% or 20% COUPON CODE that is currently applicable on this pump that is shown in the harbor freight link below. If you are not familiar with HF , they usually have applicable % OFF COUPONS all the time.....prior to the start of the pandemic (circa Feb 2020) HF had paper flyers with coupons, etc at the front of each store as you entered and they also printed them in magazine ads, direct mailers, and in Sunday newspaper inserts. Paper coupons/in-store-flyers were ELIMINATED at the start of pandemic for sanitary reasons and since then everything has been Electronic where existing customers who wish to receive such coupons and info on upcoming sales etc, receive electronic notices, etc.......... New customers and anyone else can check their site for the applicable coupon codes, etc.... I do suggest doing that.
I have owned this exact model HF pump since at least 2017 and I purchased it in a HF store for just under $10 with the discount at that time.
The very basic built in Dial Gauge that displays the PSI air pressure is not accurate and precise as to the needle pointer and number display......well lets just say that it's stable and relative IN THE SAME WAY AS car speedometer displays were from the 1950's through the 1970's & 1980's................RELATIVELY SPEAKING IT WILL SHOW THAT YOU'RE IN THE BALLPARK, BUT THE SIMPLE MECHANICAL NEEDLE DISPLAY ON A PRINTED BACKGROUND SCALE OF NUMBERS IS CERTAINLY NOT ANYWHERE CLOSE TO CALIBRATED ACCURATELY. You will need a separate high quality digital tire gauge if you want precise readings down to the individual pound psi reading... Having said that, this inexpensive, basic pump does a decent enough job, that you'll forget that it is an el-cheapo Harbor Freight offering.
https://www.harborfreight.com/high-fl...ump-63304.html
Could you please tell us more about Harbor Freight, their business model, and the pump they sell?
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 08-16-21, 10:31 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
Depends how long you want it to last, and how reliable and ACCURATE" you want...
Bought my Silca Pista in '76 - now it seems labeled as the Pista Plus... current Pista seems similar but different base/foot stand config.
can't come up with how many times I've used it since... At least every other day on at least 2 wheels...
On Race days from the day I purchased until 2008, it was passed around quite a bit - often preferred by many riders...
hundreds, maybe thousands of usages...
Replaced the hose and Big Brass head with a Presta & Schrader in '04...
Otherwise all original parts
The pressure gauge is still dead accurate, best I've ever found - I check all other pumps against it...
may go for a new plunger leather head in the next year or so
It does take many more pumps to get to a pressure... but when you want reliable, there is no better.
I expect it may outlive me... LOL!
.a few small spots could use a little rattle-can spot coverage where the original paint has come off...
as long as the pump tube (was Columbus SP frame tubing back then) has no dings, I wouldn't hesitate buying a used one...
... but I won't ever need to...
Thx
Yuri
EDIT: correction, the current Pista is similar to mine - just the pressure gauge looks a but different... so NOT the Pista Plus...

Last edited by cyclezen; 08-16-21 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-17-21, 12:21 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Glad you were able to fix it! No need to worry about those other pumps if they don't suit you.
Well I did kind of wonder about those dual piston foot activated pumps... Foot activation seems like a great idea for a cyclist. But I suppose my curiosity will just have to remain unanswered, for now.
Old 08-17-21, 12:33 PM
db143

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a Zefal floor pump, it has no model name but it looks most similar to the Profil Max FP30 on their website. It has lasted 10 years, a lot of use, several house moves with no problems.

I like that it has a little magnified part of the guage that you rotate to be over the PSI you want for easy reading. Also a simple switch between valve types that doesn't wear itself out is great.
Old 08-17-21, 12:51 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
Wipe it down with mineral oil, a little at a time. If the leather is hard and dry it may not bounce back all the way but it may improve the pressure.You can always take the old washer off, soak it in mineral oil and cut a new one from a piece of leather. YMMV.
I think I Proofided one, way back in ancient times. It worked, but it wasn't really dead.
Old 08-17-21, 01:06 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by Inusuit
Could you please tell us more about Harbor Freight, their business model, and the pump they sell?
Business model: it's a national (at least) chain of stores that sells tools as on retail, as far as I can see. They have stores, they have online, and ... I haven't seen them on Ebay. Sell cheap, buy waayyyyy cheaper? Most items seem like China, which of course is not as negative as it once was. I don't understand their view on quality relative to Craftsman or similar, but HF lives on and Craftsman is now Ace.

I bought a corded electric drill there once, since I needed (as rarely) a ˝" drive and the masonry capability. It has served me well, though I mainly still use my 1960's Craftsman 3/8" aluminum body corded drill. Actually, I mainly still use a 1950's Craftsman push-drill.
Old 08-17-21, 01:22 PM
rumstove
Riding after dark

Bikes: Raleigh Tripper (coaster brake), Raleigh One Way, '97 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Sounds like OP got the pump situation sorted with a fix rather than having to buy a new one. Always good!

I have a Specialized Air Tool Comp that I got at a LBS years ago. I just looked at the Specialized site and see they still make it (red now, mine is black with a white base). I was surprised at the price. I swear I didn't spend that much.
Old 08-17-21, 03:02 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I think I Proofided one, way back in ancient times. It worked, but it wasn't really dead.
Interesting, based on BF posts, I bought a jar of SNO Seal intead of proofide, I could try that out, or mineral oil
Old 08-17-21, 03:39 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I've had a Topeak Joe Blow Sport floor pump since 2003 that still works perfectly fine. It is easy to use, has a big gauge that is easy to read, and seems to be bomb proof. I have not replaced a single thing on it. It's been with me through MTB, road bikes, cross racing, tubulars and tubeless, and even that awful triathlon phase I went through where I was constantly blasting 140psi into 21mm tires. It also works great for soccer balls, footballs and my daughter's schrader valve tubes on her kiddie bike. I've even used it to pressurize a dump tank for tubeless install. I bought a handheld psi gauge to fine-tune my tire pressure for CX racing a few years ago, and this confirmed that the Joe Blow pump gauge is pretty accurate, just not very precise.

When it finally dies, I'll be a little sad thinking of all the bikes and balls that little guy has pumped up, and wonder if I should just buy another Joe Blow Sport, or move on to some fancy Silca pump.
Old 08-17-21, 05:01 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I own an old Silca Pista, Silca Super Pista Ultimate Hiro Edition, Lezyne CNC Floor Drive and a Joe Blow and my go to pump is the Joe Blow. They all work but bang for the buck is the Joe Blow.
Old 08-17-21, 06:34 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I'll beat the Joe Blow horse.

Get it and forget it.
Old 08-17-21, 07:42 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
My recommendations are:

Get a pump with the gauge at the top rather than the bottom... it's easier to read

Ger a pump with separate presta and schrader openings. I had one with a universal and after using it on a schrader a few times it made the hole larger and the presta would slip out.
I totally agree with this!

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-17-21, 07:47 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
And just fyi to all you guys recommending a Joe Blow floor pump. Joe Blow produces so many different models. Everything from a piece of crap $15.00 pump, all the way up to their $150.00 cadillac version.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-17-21, 07:55 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I bought an inexpensive Bell pump at Academy Sports. Works fine, compatible with both types of valves, and big indicator that reads out tire pressure. I've had it four years, so can't speak about its long-run durability. At the moment, I don't see any advantage to a more expensive pump.
Likes For Random11:
Old 08-17-21, 08:41 PM
Bolo Grubb

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
I have an older Serfas floor pump i bought close to 20 years ago, still works fine for me. I paid between 20-30 dollars for it at the time. It has a universal head for both presta and shrader but I have only ever used it on Presta valves
Old 08-18-21, 06:35 AM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts

The best.
Old 08-18-21, 08:29 AM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Bolo Grubb
I have an older Serfas floor pump i bought close to 20 years ago, still works fine for me. I paid between 20-30 dollars for it at the time. It has a universal head for both presta and shrader but I have only ever used it on Presta valves
The only use I've had for shrader in a number of years was for my wheelbarrow. And after it umpteenth flat and difficulty reinflating I replaced the wheel with a solid rubber jobbie.
Old 08-18-21, 08:36 AM
Flatforkcrown

Originally Posted by RubeRad
Interesting, based on BF posts, I bought a jar of SNO Seal intead of proofide, I could try that out, or mineral oil
the one I have now I brought back to life with some Phil wood grease and a new chuck gasket. Not bad for a free broken pump at the co-op.
Old 08-18-21, 08:37 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I love the Spesh Airtool… “Pro”, I think. The red one. Not sure if it works for schrader but it’s my favorite pump by far.
Old 08-18-21, 09:04 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 80 Posts
Which Silca pump?
Old 08-18-21, 09:12 AM
Pulse_

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Joeblow Sport III
Old 08-18-21, 10:20 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by RubeRad
Yeah, I don't think the overall opinions about SS versus Proofide are conclusive, but I don't think any of the threads are talking about protecting leather pump piston packings, or for that matter winter mountain leather hiking boots, such as the famous Vasques. For saddles some SS comments are pretty negative, but I think we have had at least a dozen discussions on this point in the 20-ish years I've been reading it. At the same time, some seem to think anything other than Proofide is good, some kind of concern about monopolies, perhaps?. When I Proofided my pump, I was a college freshman, worried about damaging my pump if I let it dry out. Owning a bike with a Brooks, I owned some Proofide. The Silca Pista did not come with any written wisdom or instructions. Most likely my dad would have said to get some light grease. One night I Proofided it and screwed the pump back together - done. 40+ years later the pump is still pretty good, and I haven't replaced the leather.

I think if you email the Customer Support at the modern Silca company (HQ is in Indiana) they would tell you what they think is best.

For me, Brooks has recommended Proofide for their saddles since their early days as a company, and they have >100 years of making, selling, and supporting saddles such as the B17 and the B15 Swallow. I don't think the Internet, not even BF, has better experience than that.

But this has very little to do with bicycle pumps, except as a young student pedaler I figured bicycle saddle leather has something in common with bike pump piston leather.

Last edited by Road Fan; 08-18-21 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-18-21, 10:28 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by Flatforkcrown

The best.
I still want a Silca Super Pista.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 08-18-21, 11:04 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Boy have I been around the block on this one... It's not so much the pump itself but the pump head. I have several generic floor pumps that have lasted more than 10 years easy. It's always the pump head that has given me problems. They get worn out or from the beginning of use are simply to stiff and hard to use. My suggestion is just get a cheap pump (WarMart) and invest in a good nozzle.

I get young guys coming around for tune ups or advice on getting thier Dad's or Grandfather's old vintage bikes up and running. It's allot of fun and reassures me that there is hope for the future. Often a gift of an old floor pump leads to a lasting friend... But you know this.
Old 08-18-21, 11:18 AM
Flatforkcrown

Originally Posted by zandoval
Boy have I been around the block on this one... It's not so much the pump itself but the pump head. I have several generic floor pumps that have lasted more than 10 years easy. It's always the pump head that has given me problems. They get worn out or from the beginning of use are simply to stiff and hard to use.
Another reason to go silca… no moving parts to wear out in the head.

Presta just pushes on and pulls off. The air pressure holds the chuck on the valve stem.

Unscrew the chuck and you get a screw on schrader valve head.
Likes For Flatforkcrown:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.