Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Slippery When Wet!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Slippery When Wet!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-21, 01:49 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
^^^^^ Just like on a motorcycle. Just like black ice and loose gravel. Chop the power, pull the clutch and coast straight across. No turns.
My 7 yo just had a spill like this a couple days ago. I think she might tumble a couple more times before she really gets it. No sudden brakes, acceleration, turning. Just straight and smooth until your on the grippy stuff again.

Her spill was algae on concrete.
Old 08-30-21, 03:46 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
There's a small lake not too far from my house which has a road that goes all the way around the lake. Part of the road is on the spillway, and my sister-in-law tried to ride across it one time but went down & skinned up her leg. Apparently there was a lot of algae on the spillway.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 08-31-21, 11:54 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by MNebiker
Glad to hear the OP is on the mend. I sympathize with him - I broke 2 ribs on a bridge last fall. Not wet - long story for another time . . .

I find that a big hazard is the transition from trail to bridge. That strip of metal or wood is usually not even with either the trail or the deck. To make it worse, the trail surface often settles. The result is a severe bump that you need to hit straight on or it will toss you off line. This can be a bit sticky as several bridges have a curved approach.

Several bridges on the local trails are steeply arched like something you would find in a Japanese garden. Pretty, but no fun to ride over. There is no smooth transition - the arch starts abruptly and there is no hope of coasting across. You need to shift down and pedal hard - then you have the sharp downslope that may have a quick turn or rough transiton. A couple are short but have a steep arch and no railings.

These trail are heavily wooded, so wet leaves in fall add to the problem.

Like rumrunn, I hate the posts. My mind tells me there is plenty of room, but . . . .

And as the pix shows, bridges seem to be wonderful spots to rest, take pix, fish, etc.
Another area that often has a raised ridge (at least in t he area I live in) is a newly pave or repaved road. They put down one layer of pavement and it might be a year or more before they add the second layer of pavement. The result is that there is a ridge a couple of inches high where the pavement meets the curb. This is dangerous to a bicyclist who is turning into a driveway or parking lot. If you don't hit that ridge nearly head on (similar to riding over railway or LRT tracks) your front wheel can get deflected and down you go.

What's quite bad to as I mentioned in an earlier post are canted boardwalks in the early morning when they're covered in dew. This is more so for the boardwalks where there is no railing to stop you from sliding off of it.

Cheers
Old 09-01-21, 12:03 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Thought this thread would be about a Bon Jovi album. Never mind <- another album

Old 09-01-21, 01:00 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Algae at 27mph. It was in a shaded area on a turn.
Old 09-01-21, 06:36 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Another area that often has a raised ridge (at least in t he area I live in) is a newly pave or repaved road. They put down one layer of pavement and it might be a year or more before they add the second layer of pavement. The result is that there is a ridge a couple of inches high where the pavement meets the curb. This is dangerous to a bicyclist who is turning into a driveway or parking lot. If you don't hit that ridge nearly head on (similar to riding over railway or LRT tracks) your front wheel can get deflected and down you go.
Been there, went down--hard. Thought I was riding a smooth transition and hit a 2-inch wall at a 30-degree angle. Great way to test gravity, and friction coefficients of skin and jersey on pavement.
Old 09-01-21, 09:08 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,969 Times in 1,918 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I hate bollards. Local town near me has a walking/riding trail with not one, but two bollards on each end of each bridge on the trail, making it even more narrow to ride between. It's a stupid way to keep vehicles off the bridges when just one bollard in the middle would have been fine.
one can assume that the purpose for those dual bollards is to "slow those awful cyclists down" because there's no other reason for having two when just one would cover the width to separate the path enough from a motorist thinking it's wide enough to fit thru...
Old 09-01-21, 09:36 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
one can assume that the purpose for those dual bollards is to "slow those awful cyclists down" because there's no other reason for having two when just one would cover the width to separate the path enough from a motorist thinking it's wide enough to fit thru...
I think you might overestimate the sense of some of those drivers ......
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-01-21, 07:37 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
To stop motorcycles too? Can’t agree more about those awful cyclists. If you ask me, they are nothing but lawless hooligans out to terrorize the world. Bikers from he!!. <-yes a movie by that name too.