Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Poor Rabbit Didn't Stand A Chance

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-21, 01:53 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts

There's been a huge population explosion of rabbits in my area for the past few years. Fuzzy, indecisive rabbits. The RPK (rabbits per km) numbers here can be significant. One trail I ride from time to time has a RPK as high as 6.6.

I've long wondered when I was going to hit one. I've been so close that I can hear their little claws scratching at the concrete as they try to avoid my front wheel of doom. This morning my wondering came to an end as I hit one while it was still dark at about 6:30 AM. Poor little guy never stood a chance. I never even saw him.

What shocked me is that the event wasn't nearly such a big deal as I'd always thought it would be. I was doing about 25 MPH at the time and it wasn't even as bad as hitting a pot hole. It started me wondering if there might be some rabbit horror stories from others here on the forumz.
Old 09-03-21, 02:00 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
There's a good number of rabbits in my area, but squirrels still concern me more. Running over either isn't as much of a problem as one getting in to the spokes, and squirrels seem to have a better form for that.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-03-21, 02:04 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by WhyFi
There's a good number of rabbits in my area, but squirrels still concern me more. Running over either isn't as much of a problem as one getting in to the spokes, and squirrels seem to have a better form for that.
Yeah, I sent a poor squirrel to the big oak tree in the sky last year. At the time I was quite worried about it ending up stuffed in the fork somewhere.
Old 09-03-21, 05:23 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
I found a gutted baby rabbit on the lawn this am. The neighbours 2 cats are fierce hunters. Next the rabbit were feathers and the head of a canary.
I give the cats treats often. Many say the cats are bringing me gifts for my kindness, but I digress......
Old 09-03-21, 07:43 PM
sayn3ver

Bikes: 1989 Bianchi Giro

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
No rabbits or squirrels yet for me. I will say I live and ride in suburban NJ and take routes out to our last remaining farm land and back.

On the way back tonight about 30-40minutes before dusk i was startled as I must have spooked a group of deer in a wooded backyard as I went by (backyard backs up to road) and all i heard were breaking sticks and branches like thunder and was deathly afraid one was going to zag instead of zig right out in front of me. They were only maybe 5-10 feet in from the road's shoulder where I was traveling.

They and wild turkey are becoming more prolific in our suburbia which typically I don't mind, but if you think deer are scary when at speed in a car, the thought of hitting one while riding down the backside of a hill is doubly so.

Same thing happened not more than a 1/2 mile later down the road and scared the ish out of me again. The sound of them stampeding through the wooded landscape is loud.
Likes For sayn3ver:
Old 09-06-21, 05:17 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat

What shocked me is that the event wasn't nearly such a big deal as I'd always thought it would be.
I doubt the rabbit would agree!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-06-21, 08:22 AM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
I found a gutted baby rabbit on the lawn this am. The neighbours 2 cats are fierce hunters. Next the rabbit were feathers and the head of a canary.
I give the cats treats often. Many say the cats are bringing me gifts for my kindness, but I digress......
I believe this. We have a feral cat that lives on our back deck. A few year ago my wife got her to come in buy leaving dry food out and moving it closer to the house. We feed her twice a day at the door, has a house and heated pads to lay on in the winter. We find these same type of gifts from time to time on the deck. It took my wife well over a year to get her trust to pet and brush her. She's a long hair.

What was strange, we believe we saw her as a kitten sitting together with we presumed, with her mother some time before that. Looking at us sitting side by side in the backyard. My wife came to believe the mother wanted her watched over. Never saw the mother again.
Old 09-06-21, 08:24 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Back in the early 80s when I first began cycling…in the very first event I ever rode in…I was riding along and talking with a guy about the route. At one point he said to me “Last year, right along this section, a squirrel an out of the woods and right into my front wheel. It got caught in the spokes and caused me to flip over the handlebars.” He said that fortunately he landed in the grass, but spent the next several minutes sitting there picking squirrel meat out of his spokes.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 09-06-21, 09:13 AM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,303 Times in 432 Posts
Rabbits are all over the MUP I ride. Always need to have my hands on the brakes and keep an eye on the edges of the road, especially at night. Last night I had one run through the gap between my wheels. Happened once last year as well. Haven’t hit one yet.

In August I twice had to slow and dodge a skunk. Don’t want to hit one of those!

Mark
Likes For msalvetti:
Old 09-06-21, 09:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Rabbits are delicious.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-06-21, 09:55 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I doubt the rabbit would agree!
On further reflection, I don’t think this was a fatal event for the rabbit. I’ve realized that I didn’t actually run over him…he ran into my front wheel. He either bounced of or kind of betwixt my two wheels as my back wheel never impacted it. At least that’s why I hope happened.

But yeah, the rabbit’s point of view was nonetheless quite different.
Old 09-06-21, 02:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Just a few weeks ago I had a squirrel in front of me do something I've never seen before. It ran straight across the trail.

It looked old. Coat was all mangy and it was a fairly big squirrel. I'm thinking that since there aren't many natural predators for them where I cycle, that the habit of zig zagging didn't serve them well with avoiding vehicles. However this old guy apparently learned to shake the common wisdom of their instinct and must have started running a straight line early in it's life.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-07-21, 04:02 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
I ride through rural farmlands (except when in Seattle) and have had numerous encounters with free range chickens. Had one bounce off my front wheel - ran directly into the front wheel when it could easily gone the other way. The other one ran into my shoe/pedal and then ran off doing that classic chicken squawk. It was hilarious.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-08-21, 06:44 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I ran over a dog some years back. I was riding along a path one way and the dog was running towards me. Just as we were about to pass one another he suddenly turned left right under my wheel; I couldn't believe any animal could be so stupid! I'm happy to say that he lived to bark another day.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 09-08-21, 01:45 PM
MattTheHat 

Armadillos are another critter you don't want to hit. I see those occasionally and often think it's a good thing they don't normally move too fast.
Old 09-09-21, 06:12 AM
Ryno317
Member in Training

Bikes: '21 GT Aggressor Pro, '16 Norco 7.1 Storm << son's bike

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Not as big and less chance of damage to the bike, but I almost hit a chipmunk. It just sat on the trail until I was almost feet away from it.
Old 09-09-21, 07:03 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
We had a cat which was a really good hunter, and seems like the only time he left "presents" at the front door was after we gave him chicken bones or something.
Old 09-09-21, 07:09 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyro
I believe this. We have a feral cat that lives on our back deck. A few year ago my wife got her to come in buy leaving dry food out and moving it closer to the house. We feed her twice a day at the door, has a house and heated pads to lay on in the winter. We find these same type of gifts from time to time on the deck. It took my wife well over a year to get her trust to pet and brush her. She's a long hair.
We had a feral stay take up residence in a shed a number of years back. She was skinny and apparently very hungry. I'd start giving her food, and she came to trust me enough to eventually pet her, and then to the point where she'd actually let me pick her up and hold her. But she never totally got rid of the feralness, because you could be petting her and everything would be fine, but then she'd take a swipe at you and hiss for no reason. I think she was bipolar.

She did give us a couple of litters, and one of those was a really good cat. Neighbor found him dead behind his garage one day, we couldn't figure out what he died from. I still miss him.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-17-21, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
...It started me wondering if there might be some rabbit horror stories from others here on the forumz.

(That's my pet rabbit, currently chomping hay a few feet away from where I'm typing.)
Likes For 905:
Old 09-17-21, 05:38 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Our current cat was abandoned near our neighborhood. It spent months sitting on people’s porches wanting food and to be let in. We would see her going through are gardens but remained standoffish. After 3 months I left it some dog kibble which it ravenishly wolfed down. I got it some more and that disappeared quickly too. Pretty soon we bought it some dry cat food and she moved into our garage - it was winter and raining. She quickly learned how to use our dog door from the garage to the outside, so she came and went as she wanted. After six months we took her to the vet for shots and spaying. At that point we thought she was a kitten because she only weighed 5 lbs. That vet called us from the OR to tell us there were no female parts to remove since they had previously been removed and guessed her age to be 3, She was just living off the land before us and was grossly underweight, After that she moved into the house and uses the dog doors to go outside so no litter box. She has turned out to be a wonderful cat. Someone else’s loss is our gain.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-17-21, 07:59 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
There's a stray(?) eating her(?) dinner on the porch right now. We'd invite her in, but our two grumpy senior cats would likely attack her then run away. {sigh} Cats.
Old 09-17-21, 08:20 PM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
I see a ton of squirrels on the C&O Canal, they are also pretty indecisive. Hey, Chip and or Dale - you can run left or right - not both. I ran over a big one a few weeks ago, he sort of crawled away afterwards,but I don't think he was going to make it to retirement....I felt bad, for about a mile.
Old 09-18-21, 05:03 AM
TX_master

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
I live in the greater Houston area and rabbits are a problem even in the residential neighborhoods. On my morning fitness rides, which I have to start insanely early, it's not uncommon to come across a couple of them just having a conference in the middle of the street. And for them its more of a panic flight so sometimes they will run towards the danger, sometimes away. It's very random and that's what makes it particularly dangerous. I slow, swerve and try to wait for them to make a move but I too feel like it's only a matter of time.
Old 09-18-21, 05:53 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I remember the hordes of rabbits when I was a young GI in Texas. Unbelievable. Nightmarish for a kid from Maine. It funny how we think nothing of a thousand mosquitos buzzing around the neighborhood, but turn that into a thousand rabbits and we start to get worried for some reason.

Up here, our issue has been with chipmunks. Those wee sh*ts have been undermining my stone walls and walkways, and there are dozens of them on my property. I've killed 23 so far this year, and it hurts me greatly with every one I take, because they are pretty cute and fuzzy and comical when they are in the wild, but when they damage my property can cause similar troubles, they devolve to vermin status. One of them nested under the hood of my 2020 Ridgeline, and chewed right through the windshield washer supply tube! I tried to use my windshield washer fluid and it ran out onto the driveway!
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 09-18-21, 10:21 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
In olden days, when the rabbit died, we used to say congratulations.

And then there was a period when kids would sing
"The rabbit kicked the bucket."
Likes For Daniel4:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.