Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Which solid full fenders do you like?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Which solid full fenders do you like?

Old 05-04-21, 09:02 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I like the SKS Bluemels, although I'm more than tired of black fenders. They need to pump up the production pace of the silver ones, starting with their 20"/53 size that I installed most recently.
Old 05-05-21, 08:40 PM
TCollen
So many roads ...

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tricross, a (almost) showroom condition 1987 Schwinn Collegiate 3-speed (for short coffee runs), KMX recumbent trike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 53 Posts
I only like fenders that are original to the bike.
Old 05-07-21, 07:00 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
I like the SKS Bluemels, although I'm more than tired of black fenders. They need to pump up the production pace of the silver ones, starting with their 20"/53 size that I installed most recently.
I think it depends on the bike, in my case I have a brass colored bike with black graphics, tape, seat, racks and bags, so the black SKS Bluemels look just fine with that bike.
Old 05-08-21, 11:43 AM
h_curtis

Bikes: 80's Roberts road bike, Nashiki, ECR, Guerciotti and Penny Farthing

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by fredlord
+1 for the plastic Planet Bike fenders. I've had them on two bikes for years and they've been rock solid. I didn't install them, however...
Planet Bike Cascadia ALX Bike Fenders for the win for me. Very happy and I am running 700x35 tyres.
Old 05-09-21, 02:21 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by But its me
While I would like to run metal fenders (VO, Honjo or otherwise), I stick with SKS Longboards due to the cost and the fact that I sometimes take the bus (or did, pre covid). The bus bike racks are much more amenable to plastic fenders for the front wheel clamp mechanism, since plastic returns to shape when compressed. At least that’s been my experience with my city’s transit system.

Just something to consider
Thank you for sharing this.
Old 05-18-21, 07:56 PM
Trueblood

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
Ha, the SKS longboards are very fun to install......
Old 05-19-21, 11:02 PM
Parkyy16

Bikes: All steel... Breadwinner, Ritchey, Soma, VO, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
I've tried VO, SKS, and Planet Bike. Honestly, they're all very good and serve their function. My vote goes to VO, because of their price to look ratio. They look great, and are about the same price(or only $10-$20 more) as SKS or Planet bike plastic fenders. Honjo fenders were a bit cost prohibitive for me. I'm not sure I'd ever need a fender nicer than VO fenders, but maybe I'm wrong since I haven't tried Honjo fenders.
Old 05-20-21, 03:55 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
Recently mounted a pair of Velo Orange Zeppelin fenders in black. They are pretty nice, but definitely less durable than the stainless steel Gilles Berthoud I have on another bike.
The hardware was pretty bulky though with pretty thick bolts and nuts which extend deep into the fender so if you have tight tolerances it might not be the best. The aluminum daruma bolt for the front snapped on me.
Replaced it with stainless steel Honjo fender stays.

Old 05-20-21, 08:07 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Recently mounted a pair of Velo Orange Zeppelin fenders in black. They are pretty nice, but definitely less durable than the stainless steel Gilles Berthoud I have on another bike.
I must be missing something. How can you comment on the durability of something you put on recently? I'm assuming, of course, you wouldn't think they were "pretty nice" if the VO fenders cracked or broke.
Old 05-20-21, 11:20 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I must be missing something. How can you comment on the durability of something you put on recently? I'm assuming, of course, you wouldn't think they were "pretty nice" if the VO fenders cracked or broke.
The fender heavily deformed under the fork crown while tightening the daruma bolt. As in, like an inner tube peeking through a broken sidewall. I can make a picture if you want. Might be user error on my part though.
For comparison I did the same with the stainless steel Berthouds which didn't suffer the same fate and has withstood various bumps into brick walls with barely a scratch.

I do look at this as someone who has used bikes with fenders for 30 years in a commuting environment where it will be placed in close proximity with other bikes.
These feel great for general riding but I don't know if they will survive that long if somebody accidentally hooks their pedals behind them while removing their bike from the rack.
Old 06-03-21, 01:01 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
here are the VO’s
wow, impressive sweep on that front fender's rear section! that mudflap must be leather?
Old 06-03-21, 02:01 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
wow, impressive sweep on that front fender's rear section! that mudflap must be leather?
Than you

They’re VO short in the front, long in the back I drilled the holes a little narrow to stiffen them up
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 06-17-21, 09:37 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Are the Honjo fenders much heavier in weight than those by SKS? Honjos are the only fenders in 20" that I can find in a silver color. SKS doesn't appear to make the 20" in silver anymore and VO are sold out of theirs.
Old 06-19-21, 04:59 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

while this is in no sense a long term review/recommendation I recently got these Curana C-lite fenders not only are they easier to mount that either metal or plastic fenders they have an Stvzo approved B&M tail light integrated. They’re very modern looking with almost no shoulder since it’s supposed to rain all next week I’ll find out if the shoulder free life is for me.
Old 06-23-21, 07:08 AM
force10

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Anyone have experience with Portland Design Works fenders? https://ridepdw.com/collections/fend...34997246820520

Haven't seen them mentioned.
Old 06-29-21, 08:53 AM
mattkime

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've run PDW fenders and have really enjoyed them. Quiet and reliable. That said, I don't think there are any wrong answers here. I went with PDW because I wanted a more modern look. I was surprised I didn't see PDW mentioned more in this thread.
Old 06-29-21, 10:57 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

So in the summer I commute in Teva's and I'm glad I did today. It rained so hard a 4pm today that I delayed my ride home for an hour and half...the point of this is while my new fenders look good and have an integrated light they're simply to short to deflect the water from puddles and soaked my feet the good part is shoulders don't seem important since I didn't get any spray from around them.
Old 07-08-21, 01:11 AM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
SKS Longboards are always a solid choice. Lightish, reasonably priced, not too hard to mount, durable, and they don't look terrible. I had 'em on a Can O' Ale hybrid. Good stuff.

I've got Portland Design Works Full Metal 700x30s on my '85 League Fuji, and I really like 'em.I can't speak to mounting, since they came with the bike, but I had to play with the rear a bit while dialing in the brakes. The mounting system is pretty straightforward, and they've got some clever hardware. The front is skewer-mount, because there's no eyelets on the fork. Great-looking dark bronze anodized aluminum, with a neato medallion on the front of the front fender. For a sport-touring bike with sidepull brakes, they'd be my recommendation. Kinda spendy, at 120 bucks a set. They make bigger ones, if you've got the room for 'em. I like 'em a lot.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 08-31-21, 11:16 AM
AlfredoBinda

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anything metal, but especially Honjo.
Their frame fixtures are complimentary and installed with care, become a part of the bike.
Old 08-31-21, 12:48 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
The fender heavily deformed under the fork crown while tightening the daruma bolt. As in, like an inner tube peeking through a broken sidewall. I can make a picture if you want. Might be user error on my part though.
For comparison I did the same with the stainless steel Berthouds which didn't suffer the same fate and has withstood various bumps into brick walls with barely a scratch.

I do look at this as someone who has used bikes with fenders for 30 years in a commuting environment where it will be placed in close proximity with other bikes.
These feel great for general riding but I don't know if they will survive that long if somebody accidentally hooks their pedals behind them while removing their bike from the rack.
Anton has a fantastic guide to installing metal fenders here: https://somervillebikes.wordpress.co...er-arc-radius/

Part 2 is all about creating that dent in the fender so that it will have the right fit when you bolt everything together.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-01-21, 05:06 AM
Colorado Kid

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Amazon is having a sale on "used" Planet Bike metal fenders for $ 54.00 USD. (Normally $ 80.00 USD.
Old 09-01-21, 08:03 AM
Rick

Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
Giles Berthoud Fenders on my touring bike for 7 years.
Old 09-09-21, 03:28 AM
rumstove
Riding after dark

Bikes: Raleigh Tripper (coaster brake), Raleigh One Way, '97 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 25 Posts
I recently bought and installed some PDW Full Metal fenders 700x45. The 700x45 size is for 35 max tire size, which is what my tires are. REI is having a sale on the "city" fenders, which is the older name for the same size, but that older style has chrome stays and I wanted everything black so I ended up ordering from PDW (currently sold out now). Like most fenders they were a pain to install but they seem solid and I really like the look. Being that I just recently put them on I can't comment on durability.

I have another bike that needs fenders. Just for the sake of variety I think I'm going to try Handsome Mud Butlers for that bike.

Here's my Tripper with the PDW fenders.
Likes For rumstove:
Old 09-09-21, 08:50 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
Originally Posted by rumstove
I recently bought and installed some PDW Full Metal fenders 700x45. The 700x45 size is for 35 max tire size, which is what my tires are. REI is having a sale on the "city" fenders, which is the older name for the same size, but that older style has chrome stays and I wanted everything black so I ended up ordering from PDW (currently sold out now). Like most fenders they were a pain to install but they seem solid and I really like the look. Being that I just recently put them on I can't comment on durability.
I have another bike that needs fenders. Just for the sake of variety I think I'm going to try Handsome Mud Butlers for that bike.
Here's my Tripper with the PDW fenders.
black stays
Old 09-09-21, 05:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7342 Post(s)
Liked 2,442 Times in 1,426 Posts
Of course, I haven't tried every single model of fenders, but I haven't found any I don't like. Really.

I took joy today while riding in light rain and running through lots of puddles without a care.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.