Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone Have a Mariposa?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anyone Have a Mariposa?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-19, 03:35 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
@conspiratemus1 has one.
At your service, Rob. Buried here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...rting-m-3.html (post#59)

Relaxed head angle gives long trail and reduced steering fatigue over long rides. Mariposa was sending their frames out for painting in 1994 as their premises were temporarily without a paint booth. Tony Beek, their former painter who had gone out to his own atelier by then, matched this up for me. The colour speaks to me and is still easy to look at 25 years later. Where does the time go?

It would look sweeter with a Brooks saddle but there is a rule that you can only have one perfectly-broken-in Brooks at a time and it is currently living on the tandem. Most people I know hated those leather-covered Cinellis but I find them just fine for a one-day ride.
Old 09-23-19, 03:42 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
Tony Beek, their former painter who had gone out to his own atelier by then, matched this up for me. The colour speaks to me and is still easy to look at 25 years later. Where does the time go?
Tony Beek was a quiet force in both vintage and newer boutique bikes. Not only was he the top shelf painter around but he was equally skilled in the machine shop. I had 3 paint jobs and 1 total restoration done by Tony.

He had a Viking track that he swore he would keep till he died. I still want it.
Old 09-22-21, 05:27 AM
zimmy65

Bikes: 1985 Specialized Sequioa, 1984 Trek 720, Specialized Stumpjumper, Urbane Cyclist fixie, mid 1980s Nishiki Continental, Brompton M6L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
This is my first post. I've been lurking on this site for months, soaking up all the great information on here. I'm in the process of rebuilding a couple of vintage bikes (1984 Trek 720 and mid-80s Specialized Sequoia). I was at Mariposa's Cranfield space a couple of days ago and Michael, who I discovered is a former Olympic cyclist, generously spent a good half hour with me talking through parts options on the Trek 720 (they're also going to rebuild the funky seatpost clamp and move the brake bosses to accommodate mini-v brakes on the frame). I hadn't been there in years, not since they had loaned the space to Noah Rosen, their former painter, to run Velocolour - a top-notch bicycle painting business, during the period that Mariposa wasn't in business.

Michael also was kind enough to give me a tour of the amazing bikes hanging from the ceiling, providing a mini-history of cycling in Toronto.

Right now they're seeing people by appointment only but it's well worth a visit and is unlike any bike store I've ever been to. It's almost like an art gallery for bikes.

A Mariposa is definitely a grail bike for me. The care they put into their work is admirable.

Last edited by zimmy65; 09-23-21 at 04:47 AM.
Likes For zimmy65:
Old 09-22-21, 03:23 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
Very nice that Michael Barry is keeping the business running! His dad passed away a few(?) years ago, but they were at the 2016 Classic Rendezvous gathering. Got a shot of them riding together, as well as a few photos of the bikes they displayed....

very cool bikes!

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy: