Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Yeast infection in men?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Yeast infection in men?

Old 08-11-17, 01:49 PM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeast infection in men?

Looked around a bit and haven't seen too much on this. And, not sure what subforum it fits in, so I'll try hear, as it seems diet can be related to this.

I've been having undercarriage problems for weeks now. I ride 7 days a week, including 5 days a week to work and back, around 30 mins each way. I had some saddle sore issues in my inner thigh/crotch area. Those cleared up. Then I got a dryness and itchiness situation. I tried anti-bacterial soap, being better about trying to stay dry/clean. Wouldn't clear up. Finally had the wife look at it, she thought I had a yeast infection. She had some pills from when she's had them in the past (more common in women).

It totally cleared up with the pills, plus I was at the beach for a week and off the bike. And all that salt water.

But, it's back. I now have dry, itchy skin on my inner thighs and up through my derriere crack. It's very itchy. Two things: I'd rather try some home remedies before going to the doctor. 2) I know I should take Rx medicine without a prescription, but that did clear it up.

Wondering if any other males have experience this?
And, what did you do to treat it? I've read tea tree oil, anti-bacterial soap, etc.

At first I thought this was jock itch, but now I'm not so sure. Makes riding painful. I try to clean off when I get to my office with witch hazel on a paper towel and let it dry, but I don't have a shower and it's very hot here in the summer, so I get sweaty and then sit/stand for the entire work day.

Ideas? Oh, and I'm a pretty healthy eater, good variety, fruits and veg every day, no fast food, no excessive fats. I'm not overweight, get exercise 7 days a week. I do drink beer and spirits, seems like some folks think beer could be related to this condition. I'm not sure.
Old 08-11-17, 02:06 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Not sure about yeast infections, but have had some bouts with some kind of crotch rot from time to time...hazard of my career path. I had a particularly bad version following prostrate cancer surgery (probably set in motion by a leaking catheder and poor cleanliness) that was put in it's place by prescription. I do not remember if there was an oral prescription at the time, but I've tried to keep some of the cream on hand just in case...also prescription---triamcinolone acetonide 0.5% cream. Ask your medical person about that.
Old 08-11-17, 02:08 PM
nayr497

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the reply. Do you think I could start with some Hydrocortisone cream? I have that on hand already.
Old 08-11-17, 02:26 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
A+D Ointment, same as on baby's bottoms and you know how tender they are.

https://www.myadbaby.com/

p.s.- I use it
Old 08-11-17, 03:00 PM
nayr497

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
A+D Ointment, same as on baby's bottoms and you know how tender they are.

https://www.myadbaby.com/

p.s.- I use it
Have used it, soothes it, but doesn't clear it up. This is like an ongoing chafe/dryness. It itches. When cycling, as I pedal the slight hip rotation make the inner thigh area hurt.
Old 08-11-17, 03:07 PM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
My family Doc turned me on to plain old cornstarch and it has worked for me for years. Keeps you dry and lubricated at the same time. Reapply as often as you want.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 08-11-17, 03:17 PM
nayr497

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
But did the cornstarch clear up a problem or just help prevent it? Thanks.
Old 08-11-17, 03:25 PM
FBOATSB

Originally Posted by nayr497
But did the cornstarch clear up a problem or just help prevent it? Thanks.

Both, actually, I generally use it all summer due to hot humid conditions I work in and never chafe due to cycling as an added perk Pits, crotch, work boots. Candida can rear it's ugly head at any time.
Old 08-11-17, 08:59 PM
Canuk1w1

Bikes: Miele Laser (Suntour Superbe Pro groupo)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eczema? Your docs probably would've diagnosed it (it ain't that rare) but worth asking I reckon.
Old 08-11-17, 10:19 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
It does indeed sound like candidiasis-- also known as thrush. So while you are male, and I am all too aware that we as a gender go to great lengths to avoid the doctor, it's not a terrible idea to go see your GP. They'll diagnose and you'll be trouble-free within the week.
Old 08-12-17, 04:29 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Yeast = fungus = athlete's foot = jock itch.

Treat the area with a topical ointment designed for fungal infections.

And if your wife has had candida, fair old chance you contracted it from her. Combined with the extensive riding, creating ideal conditions, it just keeps on recurring.

Continue the ointment treatment well past the time when the symptoms disappear.

Bacterial infections are caused by an entirely different organism.
Likes For Rowan:
Old 08-12-17, 10:57 AM
FBOATSB

For the OP's wife:

"It is a common member of human gut flora and does not seem to proliferate outside mammalian hosts.[4] It is detectable in the gastrointestinal tract and mouth in 40-60% of healthy adults.[5][6]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candida_albicans
Old 08-12-17, 01:16 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
https://www.lamisilat.com/?cid=ps-20...FcwJNwodrTkBiA

I've had good results in the past with this stuff. These days though, my main line of defense is scrupulous cleanliness. Bike shorts get hand washed the instant I get home. I wash the crotch area even before donning shorts and getting on the bile.
Old 08-12-17, 01:50 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by nayr497
Looked around a bit and haven't seen too much on this. And, not sure what subforum it fits in, so I'll try hear, as it seems diet can be related to this.

I've been having undercarriage problems for weeks now. I ride 7 days a week, including 5 days a week to work and back, around 30 mins each way. I had some saddle sore issues in my inner thigh/crotch area. Those cleared up. Then I got a dryness and itchiness situation. I tried anti-bacterial soap, being better about trying to stay dry/clean. Wouldn't clear up. Finally had the wife look at it, she thought I had a yeast infection. She had some pills from when she's had them in the past (more common in women).

It totally cleared up with the pills, plus I was at the beach for a week and off the bike. And all that salt water.

But, it's back. I now have dry, itchy skin on my inner thighs and up through my derriere crack. It's very itchy. Two things: I'd rather try some home remedies before going to the doctor. 2) I know I should take Rx medicine without a prescription, but that did clear it up.

Wondering if any other males have experience this?
And, what did you do to treat it? I've read tea tree oil, anti-bacterial soap, etc.

At first I thought this was jock itch, but now I'm not so sure. Makes riding painful. I try to clean off when I get to my office with witch hazel on a paper towel and let it dry, but I don't have a shower and it's very hot here in the summer, so I get sweaty and then sit/stand for the entire work day.

Ideas? Oh, and I'm a pretty healthy eater, good variety, fruits and veg every day, no fast food, no excessive fats. I'm not overweight, get exercise 7 days a week. I do drink beer and spirits, seems like some folks think beer could be related to this condition. I'm not sure.

First of all, never share medicines like that, if it's beyond aspirin and the like, consult your physician. Guessing at it can tend to make the problem worse.

Let's get past all of the flora and fauna. It has been a highly atypical year since last winter and especially hot/humid in places that haven't seen weather like this in a long time.

Yeast infection or not, there are factors that can really put a dent in your cycling, and other stuff it goes without saying.

Have you ever had CHICKEN POX? Have you had a shingles outbreak or possibly come in contact with someone who had an active outbreak?

But you can't treat this casually. It could be many things. Just taking pills or applying a cream isn't a catchall.

Do see a doctor, and also, did you change detergents or other laundry products at the time this started? It could be allergy related, my guess but again, I'm no doctor.

And my FNP is cute and smarter than me, I've no qualms about seeing her...
Old 08-12-17, 05:42 PM
Ball Bearing

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went through years of crotch skin problems. Went to the doctor several times for prescriptions for anti-funguial creme. Nothing worked for more than a week or so. I assumed that cycling was the cause and I just had to live with it.

What works for me is coconut oil. I apply some before every ride, and I have a shower before every ride.

Coconut oil is a potent anti-funguial.
Old 08-14-17, 09:40 AM
nayr497

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the feedback. Yes, I have had chicken pox as a child, like around age 4. Never had any issues with jock itch or athlete's foot. I definitely have sensitive skin (I'm half Italian, half Irish and got the darned Irish skin...pale, sensitive, prone to pink sun burn!) but never really irritation issues which linger.

I didn't ride over the weekend, kept it clean and used cortisone cream. Feels a lot better. I'll continue to see what I can figure out. I'm relatively knew to where I live, so don't have a good GP yet. Whenever I go in I wait for an hour, see someone for a few minutes. I find it mostly worthless.

Also, overall very healthy. Rarely sick with anything beyond a cold, eat well, exercise daily, plenty of water, no smoking, only casual drinking. No coffee. No soft drinks.
Old 08-14-17, 09:51 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Before you go to some great length, try this.

Get some OTC dandruff shampoo. Use it to clean around the area you are having issues with the yeast infection. Rinse well. Make sure you are using a clean towel each time you shower and it's helpful not to dry your head first.

Additionally, there are several creams on the market that work well (Lotrimin AF in particular). If yours is particularly stubborn, get the women's "one day clear up" stuff, and follow up as directed topically.

Last edited by Juan Foote; 08-14-17 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-16-17, 09:50 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
^ This works for me, too. I use Selsun Blue, green label moisturizing. I wash my whole body with it. I start with my crotch and leave it on there while I wash the rest of my body. Made a big difference for me. When stuff outran the shampoo treatment, I've used miconazole nitrate (OTC) with success.
Old 08-16-17, 10:01 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
After the soap-down, perhaps try Gold Bond powder before donning shorts.
Old 08-17-17, 07:47 AM
nayr497

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Before you go to some great length, try this.

Get some OTC dandruff shampoo. Use it to clean around the area you are having issues with the yeast infection. Rinse well. Make sure you are using a clean towel each time you shower and it's helpful not to dry your head first.

Additionally, there are several creams on the market that work well (Lotrimin AF in particular). If yours is particularly stubborn, get the women's "one day clear up" stuff, and follow up as directed topically.
I will try this!

Thanks for all the replies. I've been paying extra attention to keep it clean and dry and then also putting on cortisone cream after showers. Things are MUCH better. But I'll try some dandruff shampoo. Thanks!
Old 08-18-17, 02:42 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 220 Posts
I had a recurrent yeast problem in a slightly different place due to another illness but my doctor told me to use a low PH body washing liquid since
A) yeast does not like low PH and
B) the skin has a pretty low PH to begin with.
Soaps being basic rather than acidic doesn't really help the situation.

You can probably find some in your local pharmacy. I'd wager it'll work better than anti dandruff shampoo which is meant for hair primarily.

I would however suggest you see a doctor since a recurrent yeast infection especially in men is not that normal and can be a sign of some other underlying condition.
Old 08-18-17, 02:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
We are talking about a topical rash around your private parts right?

Might be from critters in the chamois of your bike shorts. I don't use any creams. I just machine wash my shorts twice. First time with a little laundry detergent and some color safe bleach such as Oxy Clean or Chlorox II. The second time I run it with nothing but water. The bleach will kill most bacteria and other critters in your cycling shorts. Hang in front of a box fan and they'll be dry in time for the next ride.

Regular chlorine bleach will be even more effective at sanitizing the shorts, but it also may be harmful to the life of your shorts and their color.
Old 08-22-17, 07:38 AM
nayr497

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by elcruxio
I had a recurrent yeast problem in a slightly different place due to another illness but my doctor told me to use a low PH body washing liquid since
A) yeast does not like low PH and
B) the skin has a pretty low PH to begin with.
Soaps being basic rather than acidic doesn't really help the situation.

You can probably find some in your local pharmacy. I'd wager it'll work better than anti dandruff shampoo which is meant for hair primarily.

I would however suggest you see a doctor since a recurrent yeast infection especially in men is not that normal and can be a sign of some other underlying condition.
The annoying thing is that I went to the dermatologist just a few months back, for a general check-up. At that time I had this frustrating "saddle sore" type thing going on. He didn't think it was anything and it has since gone away. Great! Wasn't having this issue at all and really not sure what the heck it is, very frustrating.
Old 08-23-17, 01:13 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Garlic is a good way to deactivate yeast. I learned this both through ill-fated attempts to make garlic bread from scratch and from using it as a home remedy. Also, no more vampire attacks.

I leave the method of application to the discretion of the user.
Old 08-25-17, 08:59 AM
nayr497

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay, picked up some pH balancing body wash and have been using that in the shower. Also have been doing coconut oil lotion pre-commute to work. And also after a shower at night using Lotrimin AF. Things are MUCH better. Not totally gone, but MUCH better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.