Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Classic vs Brompton - folding (pictures)

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-18, 01:43 PM
xerman

Bikes: dahon classic V

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Some pictures of my restored vintage Dahon Classic V (80's) vs Brompton (2016).

Dahon 100€
Brompton 1.400€

Likes For xerman:
Old 09-16-18, 04:12 PM
dahoneezz

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Beautiful bikes. I always thought the classic Dahon was much smaller. Side by side, it is only slightly so. Was it a lot of work to restore? Like repaint, polish, replace parts etc etc?
Old 09-16-18, 05:51 PM
edelay

Bikes: Dahon Curve D8 (Sturmey Archer X-RF8), Crius Smart 3.0 5 speed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xerman
Some pictures of my restored vintage Dahon Classic V (80's) vs Brompton (2016).
Dahon 100€
Brompton 1.400€
What a great comparison. Sometimes I fret about being cheap and buying a used Dahon Curve instead of an expensive Brompton, but your post hightlights the fact that with some elbow grease and you save a lot of money and have something about as good.

If you don't mind, what did you have to do to the Dahon Classic to make it look this good? Did you spend much? Makes me want to do this as well.

How does the ride compare between the two bikes?

Last edited by edelay; 09-16-18 at 05:57 PM. Reason: added stuff and things
Old 09-16-18, 07:03 PM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Once again, the Brompton fold scores
Old 09-17-18, 12:07 AM
xerman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dahoneezz
Beautiful bikes. I always thought the classic Dahon was much smaller. Side by side, it is only slightly so. Was it a lot of work to restore? Like repaint, polish, replace parts etc etc?
Not a lot of work, open and regrease every hub, change the chain, the bike tires and adjust and tighen every part. Ah, and also remove rusty parts with vinegar, leaving the piece overnight submerged on it.
It's not smaller than the Brompton folded...
Old 09-17-18, 12:11 AM
xerman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by edelay
What a great comparison. Sometimes I fret about being cheap and buying a used Dahon Curve instead of an expensive Brompton, but your post hightlights the fact that with some elbow grease and you save a lot of money and have something about as good.

If you don't mind, what did you have to do to the Dahon Classic to make it look this good? Did you spend much? Makes me want to do this as well.

How does the ride compare between the two bikes?
It rides really well, and having two bromptons I can say there is not such a big difference that justifies the price difference. It's very easy to carry folded to thanks to the clever caster wheel.

I had to open clean and lubricate every hub. Grease the breaks and change tubes and ajust them. Change tires and adjust every folding hinge. Not a lot of work once you know exactly how to do it, it was my first time and I learnt a lot with it.
Not very expensive as well. But if I feel that I'm using it I will replace some parts to make it lighter and more responsive (the brakes will be the first thing I think).
Old 12-27-18, 02:50 AM
DennyW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Xerman.

You got a very nice Dahon! Similar like mine. Will post pics once I hit 10 posts
Old 12-27-18, 10:09 AM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
The Dahon seems to have a much shorter wheelbase than the Brompton. If so, does it affect the ride?
Old 12-27-18, 10:56 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Mk 2 Brompton was shorter (main/top, tube) than the current frames are ..

All important weight comparison.. the chrome is over steel .. on the DaHon.. ( I Was in a bike shop that sold some, 30 years ago )

.. what does it weigh (?) can remain unsaid..
Old 12-31-18, 02:54 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 325 Posts
Lovely! I had an early Dahon 3 speed. Those small diameter steel rims are nuke-proof. Biggest flaws for me were a) I'm only 5'8" but like the seat up HIGH to save my knees and found that I could not reach the desired height at the indicated limits, and b) the distance from seat to handlebar was a bit short for me, I would hit the bar with my knees when climbing. The newer Dahons are much better in both respects, I still have 1-1/2" to spare on the seat tube and plenty of room for climbing. But I still have a soft spot for the early ones. Mine had a rear hub problem which I was working on but it was locked outside and someone drilled the U lock and stole it, probably just for the nice rear rack which had a recycling crate attached.
Old 01-05-19, 02:55 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by xerman
It rides really well, and having two bromptons I can say there is not such a big difference that justifies the price difference. It's very easy to carry folded to thanks to the clever caster wheel..
Interesting perspective - I have the same bikes although my price difference (~7x) was closer to half of yours. Course it is true with premium goods that the marginal benefit per $ always tends to be a flattening curve, but if I lost all bikes to theft or fire, the Brompton will be the first, and likely only, I will replace.

I posted this pix a couple years ago....

Old 01-06-19, 07:18 AM
xerman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice collection indeed!
You got your Brompton quite cheap, in Spain, brand new, the prices are like I wrote. In any case for sure I still miss my Brompton, the small and folding package is, imo, the best that exists right now.
That does not mean at all that you can get a nice vintage bike like the Dahon and use it very very well, the ride is good if you adjust propertly the bike (I'm 1,85 tall and no problems at all, very comfy ride).

Best,

Xermán
Old 01-06-19, 07:20 AM
xerman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 12boy
The Dahon seems to have a much shorter wheelbase than the Brompton. If so, does it affect the ride?
Sorry for the late reply. Not from my point of view, but I'm very used to riding folders.
In my case, I'm 1,85 tall, the Dahon is more comfortable that my gf brompton. When I had a brommie my model was HL6, with the extra heigh helping to my position. I enjoy riding in a more upright position and with the Dahon I can get a wonderfull position for my taste.
Also it's very important the have the seatpost high enough, most people I have seen with problems didn't.
Old 01-06-19, 07:23 AM
xerman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Lovely! I had an early Dahon 3 speed. Those small diameter steel rims are nuke-proof. Biggest flaws for me were a) I'm only 5'8" but like the seat up HIGH to save my knees and found that I could not reach the desired height at the indicated limits, and b) the distance from seat to handlebar was a bit short for me, I would hit the bar with my knees when climbing. The newer Dahons are much better in both respects, I still have 1-1/2" to spare on the seat tube and plenty of room for climbing. But I still have a soft spot for the early ones. Mine had a rear hub problem which I was working on but it was locked outside and someone drilled the U lock and stole it, probably just for the nice rear rack which had a recycling crate attached.
Hi! Very weird situation you describe. I'm 1,85m and I can really have the seatpost very high and confortable, perfect for my size. Maybe your seatpost was not right? I can asure you with my model my riding position is perfect, so maybe you got a defective part.

Best!
Old 01-06-19, 08:19 PM
DennyW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
You're right. I think earlier Dahon (Dahon 3 or Da Bike) has shorter wheelbase compared to newer ones like Dahon V.