Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What do you do to avoid bike boredom?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What do you do to avoid bike boredom?

Old 09-14-19, 03:54 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I have more than one.
Old 09-14-19, 05:12 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
are you training for speed,a race or are you retired and riding along at 13 mph listening to music...
I don't train for speed and I don't race and I am too young to retire and I never listen to music while riding...Yes today my speed was about 13 mph while riding on smooth pavement because I rode my singlespeed mountain bike with big tires. While I was riding on technical singletrack my speed was much lower than 13 mph...Despite the slow speed my ride was so exciting and challenging it was impossible to feel bored.
Old 09-14-19, 05:36 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
boredom could be remedied by finding a stray dog that's up for a chase. Might need to rub something with the scent of steaks on your legs to get that real good excitement back, but it could work!
Old 09-14-19, 05:39 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
robnol - Change and/or increase your riding goals.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 09-14-19, 05:56 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't train for speed and I don't race and I am too young to retire and I never listen to music while riding...Yes today my speed was about 13 mph while riding on smooth pavement because I rode my singlespeed mountain bike with big tires. While I was riding on technical singletrack my speed was much lower than 13 mph...Despite the slow speed my ride was so exciting and challenging it was impossible to feel bored.
So listening to music or a book would be easy at that speed .... ur pleasure riding. ....
Old 09-14-19, 06:10 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
When I get bored with road riding I switch up to my mtn bike for a ride or two.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 09-15-19, 12:22 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Take a break. Don't cycle and run. Instead, just run.
Old 09-15-19, 08:27 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I can't run very well.
Old 09-15-19, 08:43 PM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
If ... you don't have other interests then you're going to run into problems and eventually get bored. You need to find other things/hobbies to keep busy.
This!
Old 09-16-19, 12:59 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Rollfast
I can't run very well.
Few people can in the beginning. After all, you weren't born knowing how to read and write either. It took time and practice and eventually you got better at it.. You even leaned and developed your own satirical voice. That took commitment and practice the same as running. Provided there's no pre existing physiological issues, anyone can run -- even if its not a long distance.
Old 09-16-19, 02:46 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Ride somewhere else and listen to music or other things while riding. Look at bicycles/motor scooters. Go to thriftstores for treasure hunting.
Old 09-17-19, 06:35 AM
poppadaddio
El Hammermeister

Bikes: Black, black, red&white, and titanium. All 4 are from Bikesdirect!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yoga, swing dancing, skiing, gardening, ...
Old 09-22-19, 07:33 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Few people can in the beginning. After all, you weren't born knowing how to read and write either. It took time and practice and eventually you got better at it.. You even leaned and developed your own satirical voice. That took commitment and practice the same as running. Provided there's no pre existing physiological issues, anyone can run -- even if its not a long distance.
Seriously...I weigh just under 250 lbs. at 5'8" and my hips and back love me like masochism. Why I ride bikes.
Old 09-22-19, 08:03 PM
Johnny H.

Bikes: Windsor Dover 2.0 Hybrid,

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
this last Saturday I was feeling bored with biking so I decided I needed to jump start my git r done.so I decided I would ride 38 miles and jump off the bike and run 10 miles.....it was just the kick in the pants I needed....what do the rest of the bf world do to avoid bike boredom
I wish I could be so bored.
Where I live there is virtually no where to ride, it's hills everywhere! Two of the bordering towns are at the bottom of very long hills miles in length. I can't see myself peddling up those hills one is like a 4 or 5 % grade.
The third is a city, that I don't care to ride in. So I basically ride 4 miles a trip to and from the grocery store.
Likes For Johnny H.:
Old 09-22-19, 08:05 PM
spindlehead

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Change up the bike a bit? I'm hoping that will work for me some.
Old 09-22-19, 08:36 PM
robnol
Banned

The cure for biking boredom

recently I have been getting bored with biking .I found a way to help keep myself from getting bored.i have been multi sport training mixing riding and running.riding definitely helps the run and the run totally helps the ride...makes for a more well rounded athlete I think
Old 09-22-19, 08:47 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
After 46 years as a cyclist, the best way to combat boredom is to go out and find some new routes. This past week, I took out my mountain bike after a year of not riding it much and found some new trails
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 09-22-19, 09:16 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Johnny H.
I wish I could be so bored.
Where I live there is virtually no where to ride, it's hills everywhere! Two of the bordering towns are at the bottom of very long hills miles in length. I can't see myself peddling up those hills one is like a 4 or 5 % grade.
The third is a city, that I don't care to ride in. So I basically ride 4 miles a trip to and from the grocery store.
Have you considered investing in an e-bike? As long as you dial in just enough boost to offset the incline, you should be good to go.
Old 09-23-19, 12:44 AM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Ride no handed on MUP's
Likes For sumgy:
Old 09-23-19, 03:16 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by sumgy
Ride no handed on MUP's
Blindfolded as well could add to the fun

My rides had become just head down hacks from start to finish, not really taking in the scenery with no stops and was getting bored so decided I was going to ride slower and enjoy the places and scenery of where I was cycling ... my average speed has dropped but I enjoy it a lot more.

I also give the ride a purpose i.e. things to go and see like a quaint town or say to the top of a hill with a great view and stop or a while taking time to explore or take in the views whilst having a drink / energy bar and also look for different cafes to stop and grab a coffee.

It's given a lot of my riding a purpose as opposed to a circular hack and made it all the more enjoyable whilst probably extending my rides and not everything is on your doorstep.
Likes For Witterings:
Old 09-23-19, 04:13 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
...My rides had become just head down hacks from start to finish, not really taking in the scenery with no stops and was getting bored so decided I was going to ride slower and enjoy the places and scenery of where I was cycling ... my average speed has dropped but I enjoy it a lot more.

I also give the ride a purpose i.e. things to go and see like a quaint town or say to the top of a hill with a great view and stop or a while taking time to explore or take in the views whilst having a drink / energy bar and also look for different cafes to stop and grab a coffee.

It's given a lot of my riding a purpose as opposed to a circular hack and made it all the more enjoyable whilst probably extending my rides and not everything is on your doorstep.
I previously posted to this thread, “What streets do you like to ride on?”
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
All my cycling as a decades-long, year-round commuter and occasional centurian in Metro Boston ranges from dense urban, to suburban, to exurban, but no rural.

I'm goal-oriented, be it miles or destinations, so I take the Road as it comes, to satisfy my Goal.
Also in a similar vein, I posted to this thread, “What to do when bored with your bike routes? comparable to this current one,
I'm very motivated by novelty, and stymied by boredom on a bike, but I do have the motivation of commuting to work. I have found that when I drive my frequent, decades-old routes I often notice things I had not seen before. I think it’s because I can look around at more than just the road surface when driving.

So when the commute [route] is getting too familiar, I just raise my head higher and look over a wider field of view….
A local BF subscriber @rholland1951 who contributes hundreds of photographs to the local Metro Boston thread from the same 11-mile long MUP he rides, once commented something like that "just the lighting / time of day / day of the year makes the ride “different.”

So too does the direction, one way, or the reverse.
Old 09-23-19, 04:30 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
the cure for biking boredom
recently I have been getting bored with biking .I found a way to help keep myself from getting bored.

i have been multi sport training mixing riding and running.riding definitely helps the run and the run totally helps the ride...makes for a more well rounded athlete I think
Originally Posted by alcjphil
After 46 years as a cyclist, the best way to combat boredom is to go out and find some new routes. This past week, I took out my mountain bike after a year of not riding it much and found some new trails
Originally Posted by Machka
In fact, I just finished posting to that prior thread, even about remaking familiar routes (link).
Old 09-23-19, 05:06 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
I previously posted to this thread, “What streets do you like to ride on?”Also in a similar vein, I posted to this thread, “What to do when bored with your bike routes? comparable to this current one,
Sorry .... I don't get the relevance of your post ... is it some kind point scoring system or something????
Old 09-23-19, 05:21 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
9 bikes, road, touring, bikepacking, off road, fat bikes for beach or snow. And mountain bikes. Bored? Never. Life is not about how many breaths you take. Its about the moments that leave you breathless. Did a 24 hr overnighter bikepacking trip. 1 hr drive from my house. 45 miles, 3,400 ft of vert. Slept in a hiking lean to next a river. Brought all my food, collected a tinder bundle to start a fire with wet wood. Hung out by the fire with a hiking mom and 10 yr old son whom I had seen on the the other side of the lake earlier in the day. Cool. Best? He said hiking, fire, the stream and listening to the owls were better than his video games. There is hope. And I hit 42 mph on one of my downhills. Wheeee......
Old 09-23-19, 05:30 AM
robnol
Banned

recently I have been getting bored with biking .I found a way to help keep myself from getting bored.i have been multi sport training mixing riding and running.riding definitely helps the run and the run totally helps the ride...makes for a more well rounded athlete I think
I guess I should be more specific...the cure for bike "training" boredom....not joy riding on a bike that never gets boring.....training for speed and distance can get boring at times...lots of miles and time in the aerobars

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.