Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Trek Conduit; Disconnect battery problem

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-20, 07:57 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I've had my Trek Conduit for about a year. Lately as I've been leaving for rides after dark after it has been getting cooler lately, I've started to have problems whenever I hit a bump ( a very marginal bump at that ) the battery power disconnects momentarily and shuts off power to the module and motor. Of course this might not be the problem as I have no idea how the battery could be disconnecting unless it's something internal within the battery. Now after this happens I can hit the buttons on the handlebars and it will come back on but it has gotten out of hand now. On tonight's ride I had to repress the mode button like 6 times in a row in less than a minute after hitting a series of bumps. I've already had the module software upgraded once when I first got the bike. What's the problem here? Is this a problem with the battery or a problem with the module? Just thought I'd ask the question before I take it to the shop. I should also add that this is not a new issue. This used to happen every now and then, maybe once or twice on a ride but it's just crazy now. Can't help but think the cold weather might be making it worse.

This bike uses the Shimano steps motor and battery system.

Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 10-08-20 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-08-20, 08:02 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
Time might be making it worse. Sounds like some connections aren't solid. Hopefully they'll warranty the module if it's discrepant or fine the loose connection
Old 10-08-20, 08:23 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Time might be making it worse. Sounds like some connections aren't solid. Hopefully they'll warranty the module if it's discrepant or fine the loose connection
Had problems with the module before where I think it was doing the same thing but that was a while back and I'm not completely sure if it's the same problem. I think the guy at the shop said the last time that there was an upgraded module available but the Conduit is now a discontinued model so I have no idea what to expect when I take it to the shop. They might try to reprogram the module again. If that works fine but likely the problem will likely repeat itself again in the future. If the reprogramming appears to work I'm still going to insist on a new module. I can't have this happening every year.
Old 10-08-20, 08:37 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Continued from last post; I just slid the module off the quick release mount. Couldn't help but notice that there is some play in it. Anyway, I buffed and cleaned all the electrical contacts and I'm going to use some electrical tape to apply a bit more pressure to the contacts. If this works I'm going to tear my shirt off and beat my chest in victory.
Old 10-08-20, 10:18 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
Isn't there some kind of dielectric compound that's designed to enhance contact? I'd check; may help solve problem.
Old 10-08-20, 11:37 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
VICTORY!!!!!! ( beating chest )...AHHHHHHHHHHH!!......Oh that hurt. At 65 beating your chest doesn't pay.

After doing what I said I was doing in my last post I took the bike out at about 1:00 in the morning for a test run. It was 46°F outside and rarely do I try to ride when it's that cold BUT I JUST HAD TO KNOW! Didn't ride too long but in a half mile I hit every bump and hump I could find, including manhole covers and crumbling pavement. Not once did the control module go out. Sometimes you get lucky and the solution is stupidly simple and staring you in the face.

@2Old....Yes there is some kind of compound or liquid but I forget now what it is called. Comes in handy when dealing with electrical contacts that connect by friction. If you are a flashlight addict works well on the threads of flashlights. Don't own any of that though at this time. I use the large erasers on friction electrical contacts. Removes oxidation really well. Learned that when I was a kid playing with electric H.O. race cars.

Looks like I might have to carry some electrical tape in my rack box ( with an eraser ) just in case the problem returns but for the moment I think I'm good to go.
Old 10-09-20, 08:43 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
https://www.parts-express.com/caig-d...iABEgI3CPD_BwE
Old 10-09-20, 09:08 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks. Don't need quite that much. Found a smaller bottle on Amazon. I have quite an array of torches that I use for bike lights as well as other things so this will come in handy and last for quite a while.