Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bells or voice - give a guy/gal/child a break

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bells or voice - give a guy/gal/child a break

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-21, 10:50 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
You don't have any idea how people use MUPs.
Is this a MUP-only discussion? OP used one as an example, but thought this was more generally needing to pass someone who's on foot?
Old 04-26-21, 11:43 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,625 Times in 2,914 Posts
When I run in the street or sidewalk, I run the same direction as traffic for the same reason I cycle the same direction as traffic. People making right turns don’t always look right, just left for oncoming traffic. No one in a car gets the benefit of a doubt whether on wheels or running.

Old 04-26-21, 11:49 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
How about suburbia, where seemingly most new housing areas don't put in sidewalks, so the pedestrians are out in the street also. My experience is they most definitely don't make it a habit to walk against traffic -- more a 50/50 potluck thing, depending on which direction they need to go from where they were.
Agreed!
Tim
Old 04-26-21, 12:23 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
If there's one thing we've learned with those two threads, it is that the other guy is doing it all wrong!
One thing that I learned from those two last threads about bells is the extreme amount of hostility towards using a bell or putting a bell on your bicycle...Seriously I had no idea that so many cyclists would be so hostile toward bells.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-26-21, 12:30 PM
wolfchild
Banned

How about suburbia, where seemingly most new housing areas don't put in sidewalks, so the pedestrians are out in the street also. My experience is they most definitely don't make it a habit to walk against traffic -- more a 50/50 potluck thing, depending on which direction they need to go from where they were.
All of our housing projects out in the suburbia have sidewalks and the newer ones also have MUPS which run alongside of the roads. There is really no reason why pedestrians or joggers should be out on the roads.
Old 04-26-21, 12:36 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bells are understood fairly-commonly to be associated with bicycles and that association is world-wide and language independent.
And yet so many cyclists still fail to use this simple and commonly understood way of announcement and instead choose to shout and yell all kinds of confusing jargon at other people...or do something much worse like failing to announce themselves and buzz other people with very close passes.
Old 04-26-21, 12:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
One thing that I learned from those two last threads about bells is the extreme amount of hostility towards using a bell or putting a bell on your bicycle...Seriously I had no idea that so many cyclists would be so hostile toward bells.
Yeah. It's one thing to have a personal preference to not use a bell As a general rule, I a not a bell person, although I did install and use one on the Bike Friday that I sued to commute with many years ago but almost never ride now.), but I don't get the hostility towards the concept of installing and using a bell. So much anti-tollingism.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-26-21, 12:41 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I'll take a stab and give a few reasons..............I do the bell.

1. I have found my 1:1 is it gets to headphone zombies better than a voice.
2. "left, right" can confuse people. I'm on your left? I want you to go left? Not everyone does the correct thing by proceeding on the right side of a trail. Not all people "get it", and you can't assume they all do.
3. Voice presumes 100% language compatibility. Derecha, izquierda, left, right.........ad nauseum. Bell.........universal
4. Bell mostly means bike. This gives a better predictive reaction by the user in front. If you hear a voice, is it a runner, biker, roller blader......etc...
5. If you're going to be able to exceed a trails speed limit for appreciable time.........try to mind the trail volume and consider another route at higher volumes.
6. Lobby your municipality for more commuter paths with higher speeds and less mixed use if you feel so inclined. Most US MUPs are rec trails, not commuter paths. Meaning dogs, walkers, grandma, kids.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 04-26-21, 12:55 PM
PimpMan

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
When there's girl walking and i ride behind her if i like her shape and want to see her face i just tap bell slightly making 1 short gentle ring and most girl look around and then we meet sights, i smile ride next to her and ask her for a phone number. or if she not my type i just ride on. So yeah bell is very useful.

You need to select a proper classic retro bell, not this modern silly sounding ones that dont even work same way as in the past.
Old 04-26-21, 01:18 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
You can simply ride safely around them, without telling them. Slow down, and give them room.

Old 04-26-21, 01:23 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
And yet so many cyclists still fail to use this simple and commonly understood way of announcement and instead choose to shout and yell all kinds of confusing jargon at other people...or do something much worse like failing to announce themselves and buzz other people with very close passes.
While I have my preference, I don't care too much that other people prefer to yell.

What's interesting to me is the awful, nutty arguments against bells.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yeah. It's one thing to have a personal preference to not use a bell As a general rule, I a not a bell person, although I did install and use one on the Bike Friday that I sued to commute with many years ago but almost never ride now.), but I don't get the hostility towards the concept of installing and using a bell. So much anti-tollingism.
And the terrible arguments these people present!

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-26-21 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-26-21, 01:28 PM
njkayaker

Is this a MUP-only discussion? OP used one as an example, but thought this was more generally needing to pass someone who's on foot?
Whatever this thread might be about, what you said doesn't make much sense.

Any runners out there that run in the street? Do you prefer that each car that passes you honks?
This makes no sense.
  • Doing stuff in the road is not the same as doing stuff on a MUP.
  • Honking isn't the same as ringing a bell.
  • If the runner is running against traffic, what extra purpose would honking do?
Old 04-26-21, 01:34 PM
njkayaker

This is kind of an exception to "street" generally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_street

Streets tend to be much, much wider than MUPs.
Old 04-26-21, 02:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Any runners out there that run in the street? Do you prefer that each car that passes you honks?

This is one of those dumb parallels that people make--there's a very distinct reason bicyclists passing on a MUP should make noise--it's not a road, so people are not being careful about moving back and forth between lanes. I've tried it without announcing and all I got was a bunch of people swerving right in front of me as I was trying to pass. Saying a couple words prevents that.

I rarely see a jogger wander blindly into a traffic lane on a road, I see them shift to the left side of the MUP without looking a lot.
Old 04-26-21, 02:32 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts

This was originally a poem by Edgar Allen Poe.
Old 04-26-21, 02:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by wgscott
The ring of a bell basically says "get the hell out of my way" to most people who don't expire from a coronary arrest when some sanctimonious zealot cycles up behind them to deploy their noise-maker.

If you want to go around someone on a MUP, it is up to you to give them clearance, not the other way around. If you think startling a bunch of pedestrians who are just strolling along and innocently discussing quantum measurement theory and Bell's Inequality, or the latest Instagram influencer's body odor is doing them a favor, you need to think about it some more, and pass them (if at all) more politely.

I do it very politely because it's very easy to have what you think is adequate clearance suddenly disappears when quantum discusser gets distracted enough to start hopping around the far side of the path.

I find people get a lot more startled when I pass them without making noise than when I give them a polite "passing on your left". I also get thanked a lot, so someone's not seeing it as a hostile act.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-26-21, 02:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by gregf83
I don't normally ride on MUPs but do use a 1 mile section to transition under a highway. Riding today, when I came across a family with 2 little kids I slowed down to walking speed and made my way around the kids. Ringing a bell in that situation would just be annoying to the family. A little farther along there were two women walking away from me on the right side. I took the far left side of the path with at least 6 ft between us. Again a bell would have been unnecessary and annoying.

I find it's better to just ride at an appropriate speed and not expect everyone to be jumping out of my way when ringing a bell.

I don't tell people I'm coming so they'll jump out of my way. It's to prevent them from jumping into my way without looking. I've had that happen enough that a little wasted breath is not a big deal. Especially when I'm passing someone on their bike--six feet of clearance can be covered very fast in a swerve.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-26-21, 02:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

If I'm riding through their living room, I think I'd ring the doorbell first.

Seriously, where do you think bikes passing that close to a pedestrian is likely to happen other than on a MUP or a sidewalk?
Old 04-26-21, 03:03 PM
njkayaker

I don't normally ride on MUPs but do use a 1 mile section to transition under a highway. Riding today, when I came across a family with 2 little kids I slowed down to walking speed and made my way around the kids. Ringing a bell in that situation would just be annoying to the family. A little farther along there were two women walking away from me on the right side. I took the far left side of the path with at least 6 ft between us. Again a bell would have been unnecessary and annoying.
More weirdness.

No one has said one should use a bell all the time.

I find it's better to just ride at an appropriate speed ...
???

Using a bell doesn't require not riding at an appropriate speed. Certainly, using a bell isn't a license to ride at an inappropriate speed.

Do you realize that you can startle people while passing at an appropriate speed? (Apparently, you don't.)

not expect everyone to be jumping out of my way when ringing a bell.
Weird. Just weird.

Who is expecting this?
Old 04-26-21, 03:14 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Whatever this thread might be about, what you said doesn't make much sense.

This makes no sense.
  • Doing stuff in the road is not the same as doing stuff on a MUP.
  • Honking isn't the same as ringing a bell.
  • If the runner is running against traffic, what extra purpose would honking do?
This is kind of an exception to "street" generally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_street

Streets tend to be much, much wider than MUPs.
Originally Posted by livedarklions
If I'm riding through their living room, I think I'd ring the doorbell first.

Seriously, where do you think bikes passing that close to a pedestrian is likely to happen other than on a MUP or a sidewalk?
I've been on plenty of not wide county roads, and number of instances of there needing to fit a jogger, a bike and car traffic, all on the same side of the road. Actually in these instances I'd love it if the jogger was going with traffic; coming at me, there's no way to slow down enough (ie jogging speed) until safe to pass.

How bout bikes passing bikes? Ring your bell or yell, or say nothing if there's plenty of room. At least for road bikes, they're really no wider than a pedestrian. Is your choice of method different on a road vs a MUP?
Old 04-26-21, 03:15 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
I was a bell person, then I switched to the "on your left" vocal alert, and now am back to being a bell person. The "on your left" warning just seems to be too confusing for many people. At the end of the day, I just want to alert the pedestrian or slower cyclist that I am nearby, and make sure they know to not make any sudden moves to the left side of the path. People comparing this to a car horn are being utterly ridiculous. It's a nice, pleasant dinging sound. Nothing like the jarring whale of a car horn. And I certainly prefer not shouting if I am tired from a particularly long ride.

The Illinois Prairie Path runs through my town, and it is one of the original crushed limestone "rail trails" in the U.S., with 65 miles combined and connections to other trail systems. While it is certainly a MUP, many of the western parts of the trail are very sparse with walkers and joggers, as it can get a bit remote at times. Many people around here will actually refer to it as "the bike path", even though it is certainly used by a lot of walkers and joggers, particularly the busier portion from Wheaton to Maywood that runs through a lot of residential areas. Most pedestrians understand that you need to make room for bikes on this trail, as there are hundreds of cyclists on any given day.
Old 04-26-21, 03:17 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
More weirdness.

No one has said one should use a bell all the time.

???

Using a bell doesn't require not riding at an appropriate speed. Certainly, using a bell isn't a license to ride at an inappropriate speed.

Do you realize that you can startle people while passing at an appropriate speed? (Apparently, you don't.)

Weird. Just weird.

Who is expecting this?
My comment was in the context of a video posted earlier that had a cyclist riding on a crowded Mup ringing his bell every 5 seconds expecting everyone to clear a path for him. I found it annoying. I wouldn't ride on busy MUPs like that and on the ones I ride it's easier for me to slow down. When I do that a bell is not necessary.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 04-26-21, 03:19 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
No. In the street, you run facing traffic, so overtaking vehicles are on the opposite side of the road. Did you really not know that, or are you trying to be obtuse?

On the bike, I find that a bell is good for alerting other MUP users; it carries farther than voice, and is easily recognizable as 'bike'It's also non-confrontational; I'm not one of those 'serious' cyclists who feels it's necessary to tell at pedestrians.
I guess it depends on the bell - and the voice. I recently yelled at a car driver who turned left in front of me, coming on to the road I was already on (I guess screaming yellow jacket & helmet and blinking white light wasn't enough to see me?).

Must have been loud - people came out of the nearby grocery store I was heading to to see what was going on.

A church bell might have been louder than that, but they're hard to carry around on a bike.

lol
Old 04-26-21, 03:20 PM
njkayaker

I've been on plenty of not wide county roads,...
And even these are much wider than many MUPs.

Is your choice of method different on a road vs a MUP?
Roads are often much wider than MUPs.

So, on a road one can often pass at a much larger difference than on a MUP. So, yes, the method one uses could be different. Obviously.

People on roads tend to be much more wary/aware of other traffic too.
Old 04-26-21, 03:20 PM
njkayaker

My comment was in the context of a video posted earlier that had a cyclist riding on a crowded Mup ringing his bell every 5 seconds expecting everyone to clear a path for him. I found it annoying. I wouldn't ride on busy MUPs like that and on the ones I ride it's easier for me to slow down. When I do that a bell is not necessary.
Using a tool badly isn't the fault of the tool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.