Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Using a 27.5er MTB carbon fork on gravel bike?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-21, 10:28 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 441 Posts

Someone is offering me a new full carbon MTB fork with a 45mm offset for a very good price. I was thinking of mounting it to my 700c gravel bike. I've compared the two and there's about a 40mm difference between the carbon fork and my current steel fork from crown to steerer tube. The 45 offset seems to match fairly close to my stock fork. The only difference is that the carbon fork will be slightly taller by a few cm (around 1.5+ in), but I was thinking it would allow me to run a front fender without any issues (my current setup has clearance issues). Would running this fork drastically alter my handling? Should I just pass on the deal? Thanks!
Old 05-30-21, 06:05 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
In some cases the slower/more stable handling will hurt, but in many cases for a gravel bike it will help. My hardtail mtb frames actually benefitted most from a full on suspension fork add on. Even though they weren't shipped with suspension in the early 90s it was like they were made for it.
Old 07-14-21, 12:30 AM
Pulse_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Try it. Resell it if you're not happy.
Old 09-29-21, 08:32 PM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
It depends on how high you like your bars. If your bars are currently about as low as you can get them a higher fork will drive you bonkers because it will raise your bars too high. If your bars are currently high you'd have plenty of room to lower them on a taller fork by flipping or using a lower angle stem. It's sort of nice to have extra BB clearance off road, but if your bars are even slightly too high your bike will be squirrelly on climbs, the front wheel will wander because you won't have adequate weight on the front tire. If you can get a little extra BB/pedal height clearance while also keeping your bars low enough for climbs then it might be a good thing. It isn't very complicated or worthy of hand wringing. It won't even change the BB height very much, maybe only a fraction of a centimeter. The handling characteristics of the bike depend on fore/aft balance and if you have the space to change that and aren't on either extreme of having a too large or too small frame you can tweak it to your liking without difficulty.

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 10-03-21 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-02-21, 08:18 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
If the fork is longer from the drop outs to crown (atc) , it won't work very well on your bike. I wouldn't suggest it.
Old 10-09-21, 07:24 PM
BrianSal05

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A friend of mine tried a setup like that in his bike a trek cyclocross bike, it didn't last even a week before he changed back and sold the fork on a gravel conversion attempt. I think it may come down to geometry. I'm pretty new to cycling so I'm speaking out of my ass pretty much, but I image more mtb oriented gravel bikes might have a better change of working than in something like road or CX bike.
Old 10-09-21, 07:44 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by BrianSal05
A friend of mine tried a setup like that in his bike a trek cyclocross bike, it didn't last even a week before he changed back and sold the fork on a gravel conversion attempt. I think it may come down to geometry. I'm pretty new to cycling so I'm speaking out of my ass pretty much, but I image more mtb oriented gravel bikes might have a better change of working than in something like road or CX bike.
Depends on what length fork the geo is designed for.