Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Garmin power meter pedals on older stationary bike?

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 06-06-21, 01:35 PM
rlmalisz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 35 Posts

My SO has a old-style Lemond stationary bike...the kind with the big flywheel in front. She wants to be able to start doing wattage-based training. We've considered upgrading her to a Wahoo Bike, since that would actually fit in the same space in her workout area, but she's balking some at the $$$ and some at the prospect of getting the Lemond downstairs and sold heading into summer cycling season...it'll be a lot easier to get a decent amount for come fall.

I've been intrigued with the new Garmin SPD power pedals. Not cheap, and not an urgent acquisition for me, but would like to get them or something equivalent at some point for my road bike. Quite a bit cheaper than the Wahoo Bike.

Here's my question: would slapping those onto her Lemond for the summer give her reasonable results and power metrics? My concern is the reverse pedal pressure that happens when the flywheel speed exceeds the crank speed and is pulling the pedals...that's just something that doesn't happen on "real bikes".

But could go this route for the near term, and then "steal" the pedals back for my bike when we get to fall. Thoughts? Is this a stupid idea?

--Richard
Old 06-06-21, 06:09 PM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Not a bad Idea as a stop gap. You would. Just have to be watching the power reading to make sure you are the power she wants to ride at.
I have the Wahoo Kickr bike and I love it. Ride it everyday. I bought it when I retired and my wife’s health is not the best so. This make sure that I get to ride. Up at 6:15 am and on the bike for 20 miles a day. Then a few days a month ride outside when it can be arranged for me to do it.
Old 06-08-21, 08:03 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,194 Times in 687 Posts
Another Wahoo Kickr Bike user here.

I love that thing.
Too Hot, Too cold, Too wet, Too Dark, jump on and it's ready to go.
Yes they are expensive, but if I could only keep one bike, it would be the Kickr.

Mine is setup to exactly duplicate my Road bike, even the saddle.
I'd bet you'll both get more use from a kickr bike than a pair of power pedals.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 06-18-21, 06:23 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rlmalisz
My SO has a old-style Lemond stationary bike...the kind with the big flywheel in front. She wants to be able to start doing wattage-based training. We've considered upgrading her to a Wahoo Bike, since that would actually fit in the same space in her workout area, but she's balking some at the $$$ and some at the prospect of getting the Lemond downstairs and sold heading into summer cycling season...it'll be a lot easier to get a decent amount for come fall. I've been intrigued with the new Garmin SPD power pedals. Not cheap, and not an urgent acquisition for me, but would like to get them or something equivalent at some point for my road bike. Quite a bit cheaper than the Wahoo Bike.
- The KICKR Bike is an incredible piece of kit, well built and feature packed, gives an incredible experience paired with interactive virtual cycling apps! No doubting it's expensive though!
- Putting powermeter pedals on your current stationary bike would work fine. You'd get accurate power enabling great training. Obviously no automated resistance changes if you're using Zwift, FulGaz, RGT, etc.
- The reverse pedal pressure thing is nothing to worry about.

They're two VERY different options!

If you do a LOT of indoor cycling, then the KICKR Bike would be a huuuuge upgrade over the Lemond.
If you're not bothered about automatic resistance changes, virtual worlds and whatnot - just want to train - then the powermeter pedals will serve you well.

Get both!
Old 06-19-21, 01:04 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Get both!
This. If you're going to get one thing, get the power meter pedals to train with power indoors and out. If both is above budget, get a Kickr or Kickr Core as well as the power pedals. (disclaimer - I have a Kickr Core, I use a PowerTap hub and my wife a 4iiii crank powermeter outside)