Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Accuracy through cals burn on gym stationary bike?

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 08-12-21, 01:08 PM
Aderasmo23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok so i’m very confused. Today I did a small 25 minute session on the stationary bike at the gym. I averaged 6.5 miles in that time and my average speed according to the machine was 15.6 mph at a medium resistance. I looked at the watts after and it said 90? How is that possible and how many calories do you think I actually burned? I’m 5’8, 135 pounds and a female. I was definitely sweating and the machine only had me at burning 110 calories in that time period.
Old 08-13-21, 01:15 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
Welcome to the forum. This question gets asked a lot, and I have to admit I'm no expert on it. But 25 minutes probably won't burn as many calories as most of us want, and to complicate things more, those numbers are usually pretty far off on a gym bike.
Old 08-13-21, 07:35 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
déjà vu?
Old 08-13-21, 08:26 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Impossible to tell from those numbers as they're not calibrated or accurate. Running a 5k in that time would burn just over 300 Cals, 4k about 240. If you're a runner you could gauge your effort by comparing heart rate running vs riding. Unfortunately, sweating indoors is not a good indication of power output.
Old 08-13-21, 11:40 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
As I said in the other thread, 110 kcal for 25 minutes at 90w average power is in the ballpark. For comparison, I found a ride of mine that was relatively the same time and power, measured with a calibrated power meter:

Height, weight, gender, and sweat rate are all irrelevant. Just total work.
Old 08-14-21, 12:28 PM
mr_pedro

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
If you multiply the average Wattage by 3.6 that roughly gives you the Calories burned per hour. Using this formula, 90W for 25 minutes gives 135 Cal.
Also, sweating on a stationary with no ventilation is already to be expected at a very mild effort, which is what the 90W most likely is for you.