Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What spares do you keep at home?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-21, 10:54 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts

I've been riding back and forth for a few weeks on a tire held together only by sealant. This is not the first time I've ever cut a tire although it's been maybe five years. It even happened in about the same location,

We had a thread a while back about "spare bike" and that's... okay, but my other bike that's ready to go is a pretty serious MTB and it's about 25% slower. I've got some steel roadies that are unused right now but they are under the garage pile. And my wife's bikes that wouldn't fit, and the tandem but that would be ridiculous. I really just want my commuter bike back.

I've had an irritating time getting a new tire. The first order turned out to be a back order, not made very clear by the website... and the second try will be here next week. The first go, I was only shopping by price. I suppose this year being how it's been, I could have anticipated this and looked a little harder and spent a little more to find exactly what I wanted in stock.

I have a lot of bike parts but there's no organization to them. I have pedals I've replaced with nicer ones, I have 3x8 cranksets and shifters and derailleurs that I replaced with 1x11. I might have a chain but doubt it's 11 speed.

Should I have had a tire sitting in my garage ready to go? Do you? What else do you have and why?
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-17-21, 04:21 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Could you rob a compatible tire from one of the other bikes, if you had to? Could you pop in a boot and/or a tube to keep this one going?

I have at least one spare tire, tube, chain, etc that would work on each bike I use for commuting. But the urgency for that has gone way down with WFH...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-17-21, 04:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Honestly, I've got multiple wheelsets ready to go, not to mention a box full of used but still useable tires and tubes. That's not a commuting thing, more a function of racing road and CX.
Old 08-17-21, 05:36 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I've been riding back and forth for a few weeks on a tire held together only by sealant. This is not the first time I've ever cut a tire although it's been maybe five years. It even happened in about the same location,

We had a thread a while back about "spare bike" and that's... okay, but my other bike that's ready to go is a pretty serious MTB and it's about 25% slower. I've got some steel roadies that are unused right now but they are under the garage pile. And my wife's bikes that wouldn't fit, and the tandem but that would be ridiculous. I really just want my commuter bike back.

I've had an irritating time getting a new tire. The first order turned out to be a back order, not made very clear by the website... and the second try will be here next week. The first go, I was only shopping by price. I suppose this year being how it's been, I could have anticipated this and looked a little harder and spent a little more to find exactly what I wanted in stock.

I have a lot of bike parts but there's no organization to them. I have pedals I've replaced with nicer ones, I have 3x8 cranksets and shifters and derailleurs that I replaced with 1x11. I might have a chain but doubt it's 11 speed.

Should I have had a tire sitting in my garage ready to go? Do you? What else do you have and why?
I have many spare tires. Spare wheels. Obvious things like spare chains, brake pads, cables, etap batteries, tubes, derailleur hangers, bar wrap, bearings, cleats, etc.

I do all my own bike work and have most of all the routine stuff on hand.
Old 08-17-21, 06:11 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Just a spare tire, but I take it with me everywhere I go.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 08-18-21, 07:30 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
I had three commuter-ready bikes when my daily commute ended last winter. So if I found the one I had in mind to ride that day had a flat I could take another, except in snow and ice, since I only had one set of studded tires for the 26-incher. When I first started commuting I owned just one bike and I always kept an old, spare 26-inch tire at the office to get me home. I then added a 700c when my first 700c bike came along. I carry a patch kit and inner tubes on each bike. I now have a fourth bike, but it's a 20-inch folder with a patch kit and inner tube in the saddle bag. I suppose if I had a daily commute again with the generous space I had for my bike at the office, I'd get a cheap used 20" wheel for there, too. My wife also has a bike, but it is a not-so fun to ride 26-inch "comfort" bike with soft suspension and under-geared for my commute.
Old 08-18-21, 09:10 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,634 Times in 945 Posts
2 bikes, 29er & hybrid with 27x1.25 tires. At home spare tires, used but still ridable usually, and new tubes for both. At work just tubes. In my panniers or pack just a spare tube for whichever bike I'm riding.

And Heaven forbid, patch kits, pump, etc. Been thinking about the spare wheelset thingie.
Old 08-18-21, 11:43 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I always either have a new pair that I purchased to replace the current tires, or at least one old one I took off with a little tread left, which I keep around for exactly the reason in this thread.

I personally am of the opinion that riding the tire to the cords is false economy.
Old 08-18-21, 12:51 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I could just about build a bike (or three) with my spares. Brifters, cables, housing, brake pads; chains (I've kept all my bikes at 9 speed for a reason!), cassettes, just one spare crank; tires, spokes, and one spare rim. I guess the bad part is that if I break another seatpost that bike will be out of commission until I get a new one, but the last time that happened it was over 15 years old -- nothing else is close (yet). Or bars, or a frame, but that's what the spare bike is for.

Of course, I had to walk a couple miles home last week when my pump didn't work after I flatted. S4i7's gonna happen.
Old 08-18-21, 02:52 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
If it’s how I got to work then I would definitely keep a spare of most of what goes wrong.

And if its how I got to work I’d probably want a bike that’s whatever the most common style of drivetrain is. So maybe 3x7 freewheel?

Or go the total opposite way. IGH and belt drive. And change the belt preemptively on a service schedule like a Honda timing belt.

But I’m the kind of guy that thinks lo pro tires are stupid unless they’re on the racetrack, so IDK how far out of fashion others want to go.
Old 08-18-21, 03:12 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Of course, I had to walk a couple miles home last week when my pump didn't work after I flatted. S4i7's gonna happen.
Was some part of the chuck plastic cracked? I had that happen once with a Walmart pump but I don't think a fancy one would be immune.
Old 08-18-21, 03:30 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
at least 1 for each of my 3 bikes mountain, hybrid & of course road. but I know I have some pairs as well. if my road bike went down, I'd put street tires on my hybrid & take that. 22 miles is longer on a hybrid but it would work in a pinch
Old 08-18-21, 03:34 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Could you rob a compatible tire from one of the other bikes, if you had to? Could you pop in a boot and/or a tube to keep this one going?
I rode this tire flat for a mile after discovering the hard way I had let the sealant dry out, and I had forgotten to move sealant and pump to my laptop bag, so it accumulated further damage. I added more sealant and it's been holding since. The casing is intact enough to seal. The holes are continuing to leak antifreeze but not latex, which is kind of funny. It illustrates how sealant is a heterogenous mixture. Those leaks would not be a problem enough to replace the tire except one of the holes is a pretty good slice down to the cords for about 3/8" and through them for a shorter distance.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-18-21 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-18-21, 04:05 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Was some part of the chuck plastic cracked? I had that happen once with a Walmart pump but I don't think a fancy one would be immune.
I didn't do a full post-mortem, but probably either the check valve was rusted (likely) or the internal O-ring had dried up. It was somewhere around 10-15 years old.
Old 09-28-21, 03:15 PM
fat biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
When I was doing the 28 miles/day AND broke as all hell...
Using Armadilloś, 2500 miles/tire front - 2000miles/tire rear Iretired fronts early to have a used spare at home and work.

still fat
Likes For fat biker:
Old 09-29-21, 09:01 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I have tubes, tires, brake cables, gear cables, cable housings, saddles, derailleurs, brake calipers, brake levers, stems, seatposts, bikes, patches, all kinds of spares, including small parts and accessories. I could start a bike coop with my collections.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-30-21, 11:08 AM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I keep spare tubes and brake and shift cables as I do not want to drive to buy such cheap items. The Campy brake cables are great for my old road bikes but for V-brakes the Shimano cables and similar ones for V-brakes are poorly made.