Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Any thoughts on the Priority Current?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-21, 08:42 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts

This post mentions the:
I currently have a homebuilt e-bike that I use for commuting most days. My commute is only about 2.5miles each way. No, I am not going to walk, I have a leg length discrepancy related to my cerebral palsy and walking just plain hurts (I use a walking stick, I refuse to call it a cane, at work).

I know I want a belt drive. I had one on a bike, that I had converted to a front hub e-bike. That bike is on a long term loan to my sister.

I also know I want an IGH. I had a NuVinci on the bike I have my sister. I have also updated the bike I currently use with a NuVinci. I also used a NuVinci for my Kansas to Utah "never plugin" ebike tour.

All done, the bike I am using is close to a class 2 e-bike. I do have a throttle, however, I only use it with strong headwinds, which are common in SW Kansas. The throttle seems to add about 2mph to the torque sensor. Without wind, the bike goes about 20-22 mph being pedalled. Aginst the wind, and using the throttle, I am at about 13-17mph.

I would like to be able to plan to ride at least 20mph in headwinds up to. . . say 25mph (they do get stronger on my commute, but I have to draw the line somewhere). On calm days I would like to be able to hit the rated 28mph. However, I have to keep in mind that I do not have a smooth cadence.

I am looking at the Serial 1 Speed and The Priority Current. I like:
  • The clean look
  • The belt drive
  • mid-drive
  • integrated lights (of course, that goes back to the clean look)
  • For the Serial 1 Speed is the HD branding, I suspect that it will be supported long after some of the pop-up e-bike brands are long gone.
  • Factory racks (of course, that goes back to the clean look)
  • factory fenders
  • Hydraulic brakes. I added them to the bike I gave my sister. I am now entirely sold on them.
  • Different frame sizes, The "one size fits all" approach of most bikes does not fit me at 5'6"
Concerns:
  • in e-bike terms, they both have a rather small battery
  • No throttle (getting home on the days that I am hurting, or when I want max power to fight the wind 35+mph is not uncommon.
  • I see reports that people are not able to get the Speed. . . well, up to speed. I am seeing the same about the Priority Current, but not as much.
  • When I had 27.5 Tyres on my commuter I was unable to find studded, road-oriented, tyres. At this point, there are some, but I am still concerned about availability.
I would also like to see:
  • matching pannier, it isn't a must-have, but I would like it for commuting and grocery store stops. However, I am fine with another set of Wald folding baskets.

My current bike:

The baskets are folding Wald baskets. They are heavy but durable. The motor is a TSDZ2. I have put a shorted stem on it to try to make it a bit more comfortable for a 5'6" rider. I have also put a NuVinci 380 on it. As you can see, I have also changed the wheel size to 26"

Ok, so what don't I like about what I have?
  • Just look at it. . .
  • I would much rather have belt drive
  • Its integrated lights never worked. I just use a set of Light & Motion lights and an L&M headlamp on my helmet.
  • It is a very high step to mount it (this is starting to annoy me).
. . . I have been using this one for about three years and I am just thinking that I want something different.

I know I posted something very similar on the Serial 1 forum. However, the Priority Current seems to check all the boxes and is a lot less expensive.

Last edited by Robert C; 08-28-21 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-29-21, 06:12 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I like the Priority Current ebike. It looks reliable, they have great 24x7 customer service, and great reviews online. This would be my choice if I was still commuting. Now I just ride around the neighborhood, so I don't need the mid drive and reliability of a hub shifting, belt driven ebike. I would also look at Gazelle e350+ or non plus models. Same belt drive and hub. Good luck.
Old 08-29-21, 06:20 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
They're both attractive and seem well designed. I would ride both (if they are the only considerations). If comfortable, and based on my experience with Haibike, choose the one that you think will still be around in five years. Personally, I'm probably done with any OEM except Specialized or Trek. I'd add Giant to the mix, but their bikes don't appeal.
Old 09-02-21, 07:32 PM
Jwhite_00

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought one for the wife a couple of weeks ago. It really checked off a number of boxes for me. Internal five-speed hub (she always struggled with derailleurs), load sensor in the gearbox and no hand throttle, a clean drive belt rather than a chain, fenders, lights, product support and parts stocked in Pennsylvania. A big plus was the 20% discount through Costco.
As a novice at bike riding, she was always concerned that she was holding me back. Not anymore, she really likes it and I am looking to get her out more on the trails nearby.
The only complaint I have is with the factory accessories. I bought a rear rack that needed a LOT of work to make fit. The video they offered for installation was awful and the way it was installed was unworkable. The handlebar will not accept a quick-click or Rixen & Kaul bracket as the width of the digital pad mount is too wide for even the wide handlebar bag mounts that are offered. I will not entertain using anything they offer for the front. Maybe I am being to harsh but if they had only put just a fraction of their bike design effort into the accessories for this $3,000 bike...
In short, the bike is exceptional but past that? Not so much.
Old 09-03-21, 06:50 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Originally Posted by 2old
. . . choose the one that you think will still be around in five years.
I started thinking this way too. I went and looked for parts for the Brose TF Mag, in the Serial 1, and I was able to find individual motor parts, like the internal belt, online. I can not say the same for the "Truckrun" motor in the Current. I am also bothered by the fact that Current seems to have had an eBike before the Current, however, there is no mention of it on their site. This speaks to me about long run support.

I also considered the Gazelle C380+. The problem with it is that they seem to be using unobtanium, as I can not find any, not even online. The Gazelle and the Serial 1 seem to be a step above the Priority. Frankly, from the long term support point of view, the Serial 1 is winning out in my mind. At this point, I am waiting to see if they run any Labour Day discounts.

Last edited by Robert C; 09-03-21 at 06:58 AM.
Likes For Robert C:
Old 01-28-22, 02:20 PM
kharrisbob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
I started thinking this way too. I went and looked for parts for the Brose TF Mag, in the Serial 1, and I was able to find individual motor parts, like the internal belt, online. I can not say the same for the "Truckrun" motor in the Current. I am also bothered by the fact that Current seems to have had an eBike before the Current, however, there is no mention of it on their site. This speaks to me about long run support.

I also considered the Gazelle C380+. The problem with it is that they seem to be using unobtanium, as I can not find any, not even online. The Gazelle and the Serial 1 seem to be a step above the Priority. Frankly, from the long term support point of view, the Serial 1 is winning out in my mind. At this point, I am waiting to see if they run any Labour Day discounts.
What did you end up with?

I found a used Current here in Lawrence, KS. I agree with the comments on the handle bars. They are a bit too wide and flat for an upright bike. They also have inconsistent thickness in between the display and the grips. I cannot get a quad lock phone mount to stay put. That said, I LOVE this bike.It is a great commuter (My commute is 3.8 miles mostly uphill in the morning.) I was a bit worried about not having enough gearing with the internal 5 speed, but it has not been an issue.

I added the Priority Porter front rack and a Topeak Super Tourist in the back. (I have Topeak racks on my other bikes as well.)

I will likely be swapping the handlebars for a Jones bar or Surly Mokolo bars this summer.

I think Priority will be around for a while.
Old 01-31-22, 10:13 AM
Robert C

Originally Posted by kharrisbob
What did you end up with?

I found a used Current here in Lawrence, KS. I agree with the comments on the handle bars. They are a bit too wide and flat for an upright bike. They also have inconsistent thickness in between the display and the grips. I cannot get a quad lock phone mount to stay put. That said, I LOVE this bike.It is a great commuter (My commute is 3.8 miles mostly uphill in the morning.) I was a bit worried about not having enough gearing with the internal 5 speed, but it has not been an issue.

I added the Priority Porter front rack and a Topeak Super Tourist in the back. (I have Topeak racks on my other bikes as well.)

I will likely be swapping the handlebars for a Jones bar or Surly Mokolo bars this summer.

I think Priority will be around for a while.
I went with the priority current. I have the porter rack in the front and a rear rack with a couple of wald baskets attached to the rack.

I didn't have the front rack on it when I took this picture.
Likes For Robert C: