Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

GPS choice , bryton vs polar

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Which one should i buy?
Polar m460
0%
Bryton 420E
30.77%
Other , why?
69.23%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-21, 10:07 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts

Hello , i'am planning an upgrade after 14 years with my polar cs100.
The two option were:
- Bryton 420E
- Polar m460

Any one had the same choice or used one of these?
Which one would you pick and why?
thanks for future answers.
Old 09-06-21, 10:33 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
I voted Other because Garmin was not on your list. It is by far the most interactive GPS i have experience with and syncs up very easy to Strava and power meters.

That though, is provided they are available in your area
Old 09-06-21, 12:01 PM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by DMC707
I voted Other because Garmin was not on your list. It is by far the most interactive GPS i have experience with and syncs up very easy to Strava and power meters.

That though, is provided they are available in your area
yea i know but is out of budget for me
Likes For CrowSeph:
Old 09-06-21, 10:51 PM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I have a M460 and it's been really adequate over the last three years. Picked it for the big battery life and small form factor and it has all the functionality I need. I wish it could fit another line of data on the display. Works with Bluetooth sensors without issue, which includes my HR sensor and powermeter.

Money no object I'd pick up something else, especially as Polar have obviously decided to get out of the business of making bike computers, as nothing new is in the works. Also, most if not all aftermarket mounts don't work with Polar, I had to bodge a Polar base to my out front mount for it to work.

Last edited by Branko D; 09-06-21 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-06-21, 11:21 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
On a lower budget with Garmin not an option for you, the Bryton is my pick. Really good units for the money.
Old 09-06-21, 11:39 PM
ChamoisDavisJr
ri alene

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
I see the Bryton is around $150.

if that’s your budget I’d watch for sales and get a Garmin Edge 130.

But really we’d need to know your use case, sensor support needed, etc. in order to make anywhere close to a “choice” for you.
Likes For ChamoisDavisJr:
Old 09-07-21, 03:47 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 245 Posts
I've had a great experience with my Bryton Rider 420. Had it for a year, ridden about 5500km with it. No issues at all. Syncs up well with all kinds of sensors (I believe both ANT+ and Bluetooth), has great battery life, easy to read and configure display, nice auto backlight, can set to automatically sync to Strava and other services, and considerably cheaper than a Garmin with similar functionality.
Old 09-07-21, 04:50 AM
CrowSeph

thanks for the great advices and comments.

Originally Posted by The Chemist
I've had a great experience with my Bryton Rider 420. Had it for a year, ridden about 5500km with it. No issues at all. Syncs up well with all kinds of sensors (I believe both ANT+ and Bluetooth), has great battery life, easy to read and configure display, nice auto backlight, can set to automatically sync to Strava and other services, and considerably cheaper than a Garmin with similar functionality.
Bryton seems pretty good and solid , but also i read some negative review.
- Constantly need for a reset every 6 monts (due to memory i think).
- The gps signals seems to not woprking properly when used on mountainbike or where there are trees.

have you experienced one of these problems?
Old 09-07-21, 06:49 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
thanks for the great advices and comments.

Bryton seems pretty good and solid , but also i read some negative review.
- Constantly need for a reset every 6 monts (due to memory i think).
- The gps signals seems to not woprking properly when used on mountainbike or where there are trees.

have you experienced one of these problems?
No, neither of them. I've been using mine constantly for over a year now and I've never had to reset it. The GPS signal is quite good, and rarely loses signal except when I'm in a really sheltered area where there is absolutely no view of the sky (road underpasses and tunnels, primarily - thick trees and tall buildings aren't enough to block the signal in my experience). Since you can also set it up to use GPS, Galileo, GLONASS, and Beidou, it has a LOT of satellites to choose from, so I find it gets signal lock quickly and keeps it very well.
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 09-07-21, 07:02 AM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by The Chemist
No, neither of them. I've been using mine constantly for over a year now and I've never had to reset it. The GPS signal is quite good, and rarely loses signal except when I'm in a really sheltered area where there is absolutely no view of the sky (road underpasses and tunnels, primarily - thick trees and tall buildings aren't enough to block the signal in my experience). Since you can also set it up to use GPS, Galileo, GLONASS, and Beidou, it has a LOT of satellites to choose from, so I find it gets signal lock quickly and keeps it very well.
Sound great
Old 09-07-21, 12:13 PM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
I’ve had my 420 for over a year and still really like it.
Old 09-07-21, 12:54 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I have a Lezyne Macro (no ANT+) and a Wahoo TickrFit HRM which drops out every so often. There is some evidence that the dropouts would not occur if I could use ANT+, so that's 1 possibly meaningful difference between the Bryton and the Polar. Also, the Bryton's display is bigger, so that's another difference. Your choice.

BTW, for $150 or less (plus tax, perhaps) you can get a Lezyne Super Pro, which seems more capable than the Bryton 420 or, maybe, the Garmin 130.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 09-08-21, 06:48 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I voted Garmin mostly because I get a discount through my work health insurance. However, having said that, I've had three Edge devices and they've all worked pretty flawlessly.
Old 09-09-21, 08:23 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Another vote for Garmin, really impressed with my 530 so far, if that is out of your price range what about the 1st gen Wahoo Bolt? In the UK you can get the Bolt for about £45 more than the Bryton.
Old 09-09-21, 10:55 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
I have a M460 and it's been really adequate over the last three years. Picked it for the big battery life and small form factor and it has all the functionality I need. I wish it could fit another line of data on the display. Works with Bluetooth sensors without issue, which includes my HR sensor and powermeter.

Money no object I'd pick up something else, especially as Polar have obviously decided to get out of the business of making bike computers, as nothing new is in the works. Also, most if not all aftermarket mounts don't work with Polar, I had to bodge a Polar base to my out front mount for it to work.
Yeah, that's my point - as nice as some of the Polar products were, Polar certainly looks to possibly be out of business! I've been looking for some chest sensor belts and information on them, and I can't find anything that's official. I've used the A5 HRM, RS100 HRM, and CS200 cyclo/cadence computer, also several medium Sigma sport and a ROX10. The ROX 10 seemed attractive but hard for me to set up.

I upgraded to Wahoo ELEMNT several years ago. It's really good as an HRM, a little dodgy as a speedometer and cadence meter, and ok as a basic GPS. I don't have a bike power meter, but it works pretty ok with my Wahoo KICKR. I mainly don't like the short battery life, frequent need to calibrate (spin-up test), frequent updates of apps, and dodgy ability to detect sensors which worked just the day before. And while I have no personal experience with Garmin products, occasionally reading the discussions here on BF does not give me an impression of superior robustness and accuracy.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 09-09-21, 02:22 PM
CrowSeph

thank you all , btw i ordered the bryton.
maybe next upgrade will be a super garmin but for now i'll stick to it.