Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bicycle shortage

Old 09-20-21, 09:06 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Giant40
After looking around the forums, I'm shocked that nobody is talking about this, which makes me even more curious: Is anyone else seeing a shortage of bicycles in stores now? I went to Scheels in the Spring when bicycles are usually stocked by the hundreds. They only had a couple dozen, and they weren't the good ones they usually have. As for component groups, only Tourney and Altus. No Acera, Alivio, or Deore.
In the Summer, and now Fall, it's no different.
By when I come to bikeforums, I am shocked to see absolutely no mention of it whatsoever, which is making me wonder if this shortage is something exclusive to my part of the country, which is the upper midwest.

What's it like where you live? Can you actually go to a local shop and buy a decent bike?
You obviously didn’t really look around the forums.
End of thread.
Old 09-20-21, 09:54 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10898 Post(s)
Liked 7,386 Times in 4,145 Posts
Originally Posted by Giant40
I suppose I'm late to the game. I haven't logged into this site for quite a while. I just noticed the shortage in the Spring and haven't been on the site until now, and didn't do any searches on the subject other than scan through the thread titles. People seemed to be just talking bikes as if they were still available.
As for me, I have 2, plus a junk one, so I'm all set. One problem though is that if bicycles are in short supply and prices are up, I'll bet bicycle theft will increase.
So you havent been here for a long time to know what has or hasnt been discussed in that time, you finally noticed the shortage months after it started, you did no researching on your observation before posting, and then claim you are shocked to see others arent continually talking about something thats been around for months now.

To be clear, bikes are still available. They are more limited, but for sure available. A friend bought an entry level Specialized hybrid 2 months ago, another friend bought a carbon 105 Trek a couple weeks ago, one more guy bought a higher level Trek Checkpoint a few weeks ago, etc.
The local Scheels by me has had bikes this year too- hybrids, cruisers, kids bikes, and various levels of drop bar depending on when I have looked.
Old 09-20-21, 10:51 AM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 159 Posts
This is why I’m glad I’m into C&V… since the pandemic started I’ve bought and rebuilt 3 bikes, and been able to get any parts I need.

so, no shortage if you like vintage bikes and parts, and no wait for repairs if you do your own.

what’s the issue again?