Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fifty-Plus Ride in Pennsylvania - October 9-11, 2015

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-15, 03:00 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

Bicycle Times Magazine celebrates your everyday cycling adventure. That’s why we’re bringing cyclists together to share an adventurous weekend of riding under a canopy of spectacular fall foliage for Bicycle Times Adventure Fest at Lake Raystown Resort in Entriken, Pennsylvania, the weekend of October 9-11, 2015.

I plan to go to this event to celebrate my 60th birthday. If any other 50+ would also like to go, maybe we can meet up sometime during the weekend.
Old 01-18-15, 03:20 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
There's a lot of Pennsylvania. Where exactly is that?
Old 01-18-15, 03:38 PM
scrming

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...7180d12d65b68a
Old 01-18-15, 04:10 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I seconded that for a Seventh Annual Fifty-Plus Ride when it was first suggested on this thread, ” Meeting Up With BF50+ Members Off the Bike”"

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Is there a thread about a 2015 50+ Annual Ride? I can't find one. I am seriously considering going to the...

Originally Posted by miss kenton
BD, I checked the ride site and the host resort. THIS looks like a really nice event. Hmmmm...

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I also checked them out, and if BD is making a nomination for the Seventh Annual Fifty-Plus Ride, I will second that. I think the event and venue looks as good, if not better, than the premier (IMO) Second Annual Ride in Watkins Glen in 2010.

The location is pretty central for the East Coast and Mid-Atlantic states, and could be accessible to the South (BD is from from Georgia) and Midwest. It is a doable one-day drive from Boston.
The beauty of building a Annual 50+ ride into this ride is because it is affordable, we can all see the variety of accommodations, and it is being hosted by an organization, therefore, no one here has to take on the responsibility (or as others post liability ) for the ride. If you are interested, sign up and show up!

Originally Posted by jppe
That is very intriguing!!

Originally Posted by irwin7638
The Entriken, Pennsylvania ride looks like a promising opportunity for some fun.…

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-18-15 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-18-15, 06:37 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I'll have to look into that one, sounds like quite a ride and to get to meet so many 50+ people would be nice, as well as BluesDawg's birthday celebration. Might be able to work this one out.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-18-15, 08:21 PM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Middle of nowhere... LOL

Bicycle Times (based in Pittsburgh)'s sister publication DirtRag has been holding an annual DirtFest at Raystown for a few years now. If you do a google image search for DirtRag Dirt Fest I'm sure you'll find some good photos. No clue how they plan to run a roadbike version...

Some useful links:
Laurel Highlands On & Off Road Bicycling Association (LHORBA)
Trans Allegheny Trails, Rail-trails, Bike Trails, in Pennsylvania?s Allegheny Mountains
The Alleghenies

*disclaimer: I'm not in the 50+ crowd. I did, however, grow up an hour away from Raystown and am more than happy to offer any assistance/information that I can.

Last edited by headloss; 01-18-15 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-19-15, 07:49 AM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
We are in!
Old 01-19-15, 08:25 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The school district that I work with hasn't published their 2015/2016 school calendar yet. If fall break coincides with those dates, I might be able to do it. That's a pretty good haul for me from St Louis.
Turns out fall break is the following week. I could do it if I take a couple days off of work. Now there's the budget to think about. Hmmm.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 01-19-15 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-19-15, 08:51 AM
Jim from Boston

The school district that I work with hasn't published their 2015/2016 school calendar yet. If fall break coincides with those dates, I might be able to do it. That's a pretty good haul for me from St Louis.

Originally Posted by headloss
Middle of nowhere... LOL…

• schedule time off from work: one driving day, 3-4 (2 weekend) days for ride and hanging out, one return day…(see PS)
  • rent car if necessary
  • map driving route (~500 miles)…
You’re right about that, RG; 724 or 768 miles on two routes suggested by Mapquest. Hope you can make it.

In 2011 I drove about 750 miles to attend the Third Annual Ride in Michigan, combined with a visit to the family there. BTW, if I recall correctly, you ride a recumbent. Last year rtool drove over 800 miles from Ohio to Boston with his recumbent for the Sixth Annual Ride. Blazing Pedals, a Michigander with an apt screen name, rode his recumbent on that Third Ride in Michigan.

PS: I just made note that the Monday after the ride is October 12, Columbus Day, a bonus “get-out-of-work-free” day, for the return trip.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-19-15 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Added PS
Old 01-19-15, 04:47 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I'm putting this on my calendar!

Marc
Old 01-21-15, 07:29 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
It is a long haul from Georgia, too. 715 to 787 miles and about 12 hours drive time per Google Maps. We'll probably make it a 2 day trip each way. One benefit is that we can stop in DC on the way home so my wife the history and archiving student can get in a day of pursuing her passion as well.

There are many good lodging options at the event location, but it is a drawback that they require full payment at the time of reservation with limited refund in case of cancellation.
Old 01-21-15, 07:42 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
If we can make it we are looking at just over 1K miles, one way. Done the trip, and bit further, a few times, going up to Smith College for our daughter, so its not out of the question. I wish that air fare and bicycle baggage charges weren't so high, our club, West Florida Wheelmen, has two hard cases, that we are allowed to use free of charge. We shall see shortly, first its getting Monica's travel for her CE credits that are a must do.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-21-15, 08:19 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
It is a long haul from Georgia, too. 715 to 787 miles and about 12 hours drive time per Google Maps. We'll probably make it a 2 day trip each way. One benefit is that we can stop in DC on the way home so my wife the history and archiving student can get in a day of pursuing her passion as well…
Note has been made that the Monday following the Ride is Columbus Day, a Federal Holiday, including for the National Archives

We once visited Toronto, Ontario, unaware it was Canada’s National Thanksgiving Day.....borrrring.
Old 01-21-15, 08:31 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Note has been made that the Monday following the Ride is Columbus Day, a Federal Holiday, including for the National Archives

We once visited Toronto, Ontario, unaware it was Canada’s National Thanksgiving Day.....borrrring.
We don't make quite as big a deal out of it as you folks do south of the border, but turkeys still get nervous.
Old 01-21-15, 08:38 AM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

A good back up plan would be to visit some of the civil war battlefields instead. Gettysburg can be enjoyed with a nice audio tour guide!
Old 01-21-15, 09:00 AM
Jim from Boston

…We once visited Toronto, Ontario, unaware it was Canada’s National Thanksgiving Day.....borrrring.

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (of Oakville, Ontario)
We don't make quite as big a deal out of it as you folks do south of the border, but turkeys still get nervous.
The big disappointment was that Toronto is an exciting city; we visited there for a few days this past Christmas. Just look at how well they treat bicyclists:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
186.JPG (84.8 KB, 136 views)
Old 01-21-15, 09:03 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sounds interesting, and it's fairly close to me.

How fast / slow will the ride be?

What sort of socializing typically takes place before/during/after the rides?
Old 01-22-15, 10:27 AM
fishboy316

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Cannondale AL1 Lefty MTB, Trek X01, Trek Farley 7,1951 Raleigh Sport, 57&60 Raleigh Tourist, 70 Raleigh Super Course, 80's Soma Prestiege,72 Raleigh Grand Sports, 85 Club Fuji, 76 Raleigh Competition, 85 Panasonic,70's Peugot u08. & more

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
This sounds Sweet! Am looking into the possibilities. Can bring both mtb and roadie.
Dglenday: Looks like set your own pace. I like that. With the colors and coolness of the season this could be a real nice ride.
Old 01-22-15, 12:10 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by DGlenday
Sounds interesting, and it's fairly close to me.

How fast / slow will the ride be?

What sort of socializing typically takes place before/during/after the rides?

Originally Posted by fishboy316
This sounds Sweet! Am looking into the possibilities. Can bring both mtb and roadie.
Dglenday: Looks like set your own pace. I like that. With the colors and coolness of the season this could be a real nice ride.
From my experience previously on a few Annual Rides, riders choose their own pace, and like the Second Annual Ride, it does look like there are various routes and conditions to choose from on this one. Non-cycling socializing occurs pretty readily before and after rides, e.g. meals, walking tours, and entertainment provided, as on this ride.

For personal accounts of previous Rides, see this post on the thread, ”A Chronicle of the 50+ Annual Rides”

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-22-15 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-23-15, 10:31 AM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Can we ride our bikes down the water slides?
Old 02-06-15, 03:14 PM
miss kenton

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
I just registered for this ride. In for a penny, in for a pound! We're committed now.
Old 02-08-15, 02:08 PM
Leo001

Bikes: Lightspeed Classic. Specialized Sectur. Specialized Langster. Salsa Beargrease Bianchi Camolante Serotta Colorado Trek Lane

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I saw this advertised on Bicycle Times web site, but didn't know they had a "50 plus" specific ride, I see there are a few ride options, who's doing what ride (distance)? I live in PA and this sounds like a nice ride, It would be nice to ride with other 50+ riders, not sure what the pace would be, but still sounds like a good time.
Old 02-08-15, 02:32 PM
miss kenton

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Leo001,
There is no 50+ plus specific ride (as far as I know). It is just a matter of registering for the ride and showing up. Those interested will meet up once we get there. You can decide for yourself what pace and distance you'd like to ride. I'm certain you'll find other 50+ members of like mind for that. There will be more discussion of that in this thread as the event gets closer.

As for the small group that will be accompanying me, we'll decide distance depending on how well we have prepared ourselves over the summer! Some of the 50+ members will only see each other when/if we socialize during the evenings. One of the great things about joining a large event like this the number of options available.
Old 02-08-15, 06:08 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by Leo001
I saw this advertised on Bicycle Times web site, but didn't know they had a "50 plus" specific ride, I see there are a few ride options, who's doing what ride (distance)? I live in PA and this sounds like a nice ride, It would be nice to ride with other 50+ riders, not sure what the pace would be, but still sounds like a good time.

Leo001,
There is no 50+ plus specific ride (as far as I know). It is just a matter of registering for the ride and showing up. Those interested will meet up once we get there. You can decide for yourself what pace and distance you'd like to ride. I'm certain you'll find other 50+ members of like mind for that. There will be more discussion of that in this thread as the event gets closer.

As for the small group that will be accompanying me, we'll decide distance depending on how well we have prepared ourselves over the summer! Some of the 50+ members will only see each other when/if we socialize during the evenings. One of the great things about joining a large event like this the number of options available.
Dittoes to what Miss Kenton wrote. The Kentons and I have attended two Fifty-Plus Annual Rides, Watkins Glen in 2010 and Boston in 2013.

From my experience previously on a few Annual Rides, riders choose their own pace, and like the Second Annual Ride, it does look like there are various routes and conditions to choose from on this one. Non-cycling socializing occurs pretty readily before and after rides, e.g. meals, walking tours, and entertainment provided, as on this ride.

For personal accounts of previous Rides, see this post on the thread, ”A Chronicle of the 50+ Annual Rides”
I just visited the Pennsylvania Ride website, and 34 riders are registered, some by teams, but no Team Kenton, and no BF screen names. Maybe we could register with our screen names in parentheses, or as Team Bikeforums (...?Team Fifty-Plus...?Over-the-Hill-Gang--bicycling double entendre intended--or what), or as both. Some of the other team names are Bicycle Times, Dirt Rag Magazine, Fitness Center; and Events Unlimited and None (one member each).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-08-15 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-08-15, 06:44 PM
Len S

Bikes: 1972 Gitane Gransport, 1985 Gitane Performance

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks very interesting. It is fall color time. What could be better then getting into that part of the country? 70+ If the weather is really good we could stay in the area for a week looking at fall colors. Stay at lodge or in RV park. Isn't there an "up coming event" board on this forum where this should also be posted?? Want to make sure I can find this post again amongst the 100's of posts being put up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.