Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Recycling/Donating parts and equipment - how, where and what

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-21, 06:39 PM
msr_78

Bikes: Too many - most used now Litespeed Gravel & Prorace Hauser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I've accumulated, as I believe we all have, a fair amount of stuff that I can hardly try to sell, but that is still in pretty usable nick and, more importantly, needs to be recycled, if not outright reused: from 26" rims to clipless shoes, to helmets and tires.
I have been looking around and cannot find anywhere where I can donate/dispose of the stuff, and I just don't want to throw it in the trash - too much waste, and I'm sure someone could make use of it.

So my question is: does anyone know of a charity/non-profit/other that recycles/reuses cycling parts/shoes/equipment? What do you do with cycling clothing when you don't use it anymore? I don't think Goodwill will take it, they are having huge issues with people just dumping whatever on them - and honestly I don't think they'll know what to do with SunRingle rims.

Thanks
Old 09-01-21, 06:46 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
https://www.bikecollectives.org/wiki..._Organizations
Old 09-04-21, 12:05 AM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
See if you have a co-op / community bike shop within a convenient distance. Most decent-sized cities should have one. Give them your old parts. They'll be grateful.

--Shannon

PS: I volunteer at my local co-op, so I'm biased... having full parts bins is very, very nice when I'm fixing someone's bike.
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 09-04-21, 09:22 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
... having full parts bins is very, very nice when I'm fixing someone's bike.
Off topic but I have a question about how you choose which parts bin part to use:

The "sock drawer" theory is to take the most worn but still serviceable part to use it up. Otherwise it stays in the parts bin forever.
The "Pope tablecloth" theory is to take the best you can find in the bin. Otherwise the best parts never find a worthy project to get used on.
Old 09-04-21, 02:49 PM
ShannonM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Off topic but I have a question about how you choose which parts bin part to use:

The "sock drawer" theory is to take the most worn but still serviceable part to use it up. Otherwise it stays in the parts bin forever.
The "Pope tablecloth" theory is to take the best you can find in the bin. Otherwise the best parts never find a worthy project to get used on.
Depends on the bike, and on the part. My rule o' thumb is to use equal or slightly-better-than-stock parts if I can find ones that work. Sometimes you can't. Front derailleurs are probably the hardest, it's not unusual for there to be only one in the bin that will work, because there's like 937 different ways to make a front derailleur, none of which are compatible with any of the others.

--Shannon
Old 09-04-21, 11:39 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 365 Posts
Depends on the bike, and on the part. My rule o' thumb is to use equal or slightly-better-than-stock parts if I can find ones that work. Sometimes you can't. Front derailleurs are probably the hardest, it's not unusual for there to be only one in the bin that will work, because there's like 937 different ways to make a front derailleur, none of which are compatible with any of the others.

--Shannon
Figured with all the 1x conversions, you'd have barrels of front derailleurs
Old 09-05-21, 09:55 AM
msr_78

Bikes: Too many - most used now Litespeed Gravel & Prorace Hauser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
See if you have a co-op / community bike shop within a convenient distance. Most decent-sized cities should have one. Give them your old parts. They'll be grateful.

--Shannon

PS: I volunteer at my local co-op, so I'm biased... having full parts bins is very, very nice when I'm fixing someone's bike.
Thanks, I'll google and see if there's any co-op open in my area - unfortunately the link in dedhed's reply wasn't too useful, as most of the organizations seem to have closed or are just too far away
Old 09-05-21, 01:21 PM
ShannonM

Originally Posted by msr_78
Thanks, I'll google and see if there's any co-op open in my area - unfortunately the link in dedhed's reply wasn't too useful, as most of the organizations seem to have closed or are just too far away
Alos look at your local Craigslist. That's how I found the Erueka, CA Bike Kitchen, we put our contact info in the ads for the bikes that we sell. Also, Bike Kitchen is a national organization for co-ops, their website probably has a list, although it would only have BK-affiliated shops.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM: