Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sweat from helmet gets into eyes. Any solutions?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Sweat from helmet gets into eyes. Any solutions?

Old 07-02-22, 12:07 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I don't have much problem with this and it can be extremely hot and humid where I am (90F and 60% humidity right now). My helmet has large cooling vents in it, I expect that helps.. it is a Specialized Prevail. I also agree you want a sunscreen that doesn't drip, also not so oily as that impedes evaporation. I can't imagine putting on a cap in hot weather, maybe it works but it seems so very wrong.
Old 07-02-22, 12:42 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
I have a 100% fix but you probably don't want to hear it. The answer is "recumbent". It makes the sweat drip off of your head in the other direction. Thanks for reminding me of one of the benefits of riding recumbents that I had forgotten about.
Old 07-02-22, 03:31 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
... I can't imagine putting on a cap in hot weather, maybe it works but it seems so very wrong.
I couldn't imagine wearing a cap under the helmet either and didn't for 30 years. Then I tried it. Surprise! I as not hotter. No surprise, much less issue with sweat in eyes - very nice. But best of all, my helmets stayed so much cleaner and nicer. Better smelling. And far less work to keep clean. All I have to do is start my rides with a clean cap. I'm warmer on cold days. Keeps my serious hats clean on still colder days.

All for something as difficult to manage as underwear. Put on a clean one. Ride. Toss in the wash. And my life is simply better. (Not much, it's just a hat, but still ...)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-02-22, 04:01 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I couldn't imagine wearing a cap under the helmet either and didn't for 30 years. Then I tried it. Surprise! It is not hotter. No surprise, much less issue with sweat in eyes
Exactly. And for us bald/shaved guys, it's kind of a must, unless you want weird tan lines on your head. I also like having a visor available when I want it.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-02-22, 04:47 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
You can be argumentative. Appears to be a BF tradition.

Hope that skull caps works for you.
Of course!

Likes For Camilo:
Old 07-02-22, 06:44 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I use a Halo headband which has moisture absorption plus a channel to divert remaining moisture away from your eyes. As opposed to a skull cap, your head can still breathe. Great product. https://store.haloheadband.com/
Two thumbs up on Halo headbands. BK
Old 07-02-22, 07:38 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I clean -- or at least rinse and dry -- the pads in my helmet on a regular basis in the summer. If I don't, they saturate with salt, and it doesn't take much sweat to carry that into my eyes and put one out of commission. The first time that happened was a 90°+ RAGBRAI day as I was zooming downhill. Pretty terrifying.

Now that my hairline is receding, I find myself needing to clean the pads even more often than I used to. Might have to look into those skull caps at some point.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 07-02-22 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-02-22, 08:01 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Exactly. And for us bald/shaved guys, it's kind of a must, unless you want weird tan lines on your head. I also like having a visor available when I want it.
I started wearing caps before my hairline receded. It's only when I see threads like this that I think "Oh yeah, I could do the striped head look!" Nah.
Old 07-02-22, 09:57 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I have a 100% fix but you probably don't want to hear it. The answer is "recumbent". It makes the sweat drip off of your head in the other direction. Thanks for reminding me of one of the benefits of riding recumbents that I had forgotten about.

Problem: Sweat gets in my eyes

Solution 1: Spend $16 on a high tech headband
Solution 2: Spend a couple of thousand dollars on a recumbent and have to ignore a perfectly good road bike

Hmmm. Tough choice. What to do? What to do?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-02-22, 11:18 PM
AJW2W11E

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I just can't believe that people can't solve a simple problem without going on internet and starting a thread about it...Hats, bandanas, skull caps...you have tons of options out there.
That's a good point and you got me thinking.
I didn't have this issue previous summers. (BTW I sweat a lot.) Sweat just rolled down my face and never bothered my eyes.
This started when I went to a road bike with Drop Bars this year. I adjusted my helmet tilt to get a better view and after I did that the helmet fit differently.
You got me thinking maybe my head is now at an angle that nothing will solve this?
It gets hot next week and the only way I'll find out is to ride a safe long route without a helmet. Maybe at the school yard. Maybe the answer is no Drop Bars in the summer?

Last edited by AJW2W11E; 07-02-22 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-02-22, 11:36 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
I do have the sun screen problem mentioned so I tend to apply below the eyes. If someone has a recommendation for a non-stinging version, I'd appreciate that. My dermatologist frowns at my forehead.
We use Banana Boat "Faces" and it doesn't seem to sting the eyes.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I couldn't imagine wearing a cap under the helmet either and didn't for 30 years. Then I tried it. Surprise! I as not hotter. No surprise, much less issue with sweat in eyes - very nice. But best of all, my helmets stayed so much cleaner and nicer. Better smelling. And far less work to keep clean. All I have to do is start my rides with a clean cap. I'm warmer on cold days. Keeps my serious hats clean on still colder days.

All for something as difficult to manage as underwear. Put on a clean one. Ride. Toss in the wash. And my life is simply better. (Not much, it's just a hat, but still ...)
Yea, the skull caps I use are just very thin wicking material. They don't add any warmth like i think some folks are assuming.

I have several accumulated over the years (I started with a set of three from Performance ~20 years ago and sitll use them). Just like having a few bibs, socks and jerseys. I throw them in our "technical fabric" laundry basket along with our other "active wear' stuff (i.e. synthetic stuff that has similar washing and drying temps and cycles).

I originally bought them to protect my head from sunburn, keep the helmet pads from getting disgusting as quickly, and also help prevent an embarrassing goat horn type of indentations on my forehead from the pads when I was commuting to work. They work on all counts, and like I said, actually promote wicking of sweat and cooling and keep it out of my eyes. I prefer the lightest and most minimal I can find (in other words, above the ear).

Last edited by Camilo; 07-02-22 at 11:48 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 07-03-22, 03:24 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 543 Posts
Being follicly challenged, I have to wear a skull cap to prevent sunburn and do not find it hot at all. On a hot day, I can soak it in water and get some cooling for a bit till it drys out, which is not long. I use one from Pactimo, which is moisture wicking and very lightweight.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 07-03-22, 08:04 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,916 Posts
Wear a wicking cycling cap under your helmet (not cotton). The material helps move sweat from the skin so it can evaporate, and the edge of the brim directs sweat away from your face.
+1 this. Or a headband, if you prefer. I use "Headsweat," but there are others. I've found having the cap extend down my forehead a little below the edge of the helmet helps. The cap wicks up the sweat, which flows down to the exposed area over my forehead, and evaporates before forming drops that can get into my eyes. Works even in high temperature/high humidity Wisconsin summers.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 07-03-22, 08:28 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
As long as we're talking about sweaty heads:
Pro tip: To avoid really stinging eyes, don't put sun block on your forehead.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 07-03-22, 09:33 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Halo must be enjoying a spite of new orders. Good for them.

Old 07-03-22, 09:48 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,947 Times in 937 Posts
+1 for the Headsweat.
Tried the Halo but it was too hot and the material and band too thick for my helmets.

Reality is, on a hot day, cycling uphill without any wind draft, nothing will work.
At that point I rinse my face with cold water and that does the trick until the next climb.
Old 07-03-22, 05:13 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Another endorsement of the Halo here. Been using for more than ten years.
Sometimes tuck a spare in my jersey pocket to swap out midride.
Keep these washed - like every couple rides - and routinely wash your helmet, as well.
The only downside is the indentation it leaves on my forehead for up to an hour. lol
A third vote for Halo. Nothing really works when you're sweating heavily but at least most of the drips stay away from your eyes. I also tilt my head to the side and squeeze the helmet against my head to direct the sweat that accumulates in the foam.
Old 07-03-22, 05:19 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
If your sweat isn't evaporating before dripping, you're not riding fast enough.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-03-22, 05:29 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Wear a cycling cap. Someone here recommended Walz caps. Since giving them a try I have never looked back. I have a combination of tech fabrics and merino wool caps. Can't recommend them enough.
Old 07-03-22, 08:18 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
The absolute best thing I have found are Halo head bands. They have a silicone rubber "dam" that keeps the sweat from running down your face as well as a very absorbent fabric. They are also very thin and don't bulk-up under the helmet. I swear by these things and have been using them for about 7 years now.

https://store.haloheadband.com/

Old 07-04-22, 12:34 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Agreed. I started wearing skull caps after my hairline had receded enough that I started getting "tiger stripes" tanned onto my forehead from the helmet vents. It doesn't seem to make me any hotter, either, even here in So Cal.
Old 07-04-22, 05:32 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
That's a good point and you got me thinking.
I didn't have this issue previous summers. (BTW I sweat a lot.) Sweat just rolled down my face and never bothered my eyes.
This started when I went to a road bike with Drop Bars this year. I adjusted my helmet tilt to get a better view and after I did that the helmet fit differently.
You got me thinking maybe my head is now at an angle that nothing will solve this?
It gets hot next week and the only way I'll find out is to ride a safe long route without a helmet. Maybe at the school yard. Maybe the answer is no Drop Bars in the summer?
I normally ride with my helmet dangling on my handlebars and I still get sweat in my eyes, doesn't make a huge difference but no helmet is probably better because you are less hot and it you get more air. I suggest you just put in on for descents, people did le tour without helmets lol. For most riding its not essential, most people who ride bikes in the world dont use helmets
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 07-04-22, 10:01 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Agreed. I started wearing skull caps after my hairline had receded enough that I started getting "tiger stripes" tanned onto my forehead from the helmet vents. It doesn't seem to make me any hotter, either, even here in So Cal.
Yeah, but what about your face mask lines? Maybe a ski mask with just eye cutouts?

Old 07-04-22, 11:55 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
people did le tour without helmets lol.
"Le Tour" is on a closed course, ridden by professionals.

most people who ride bikes in the world dont use helmets
Many of those places have better bike infrastructure and healthcare.

I normally ride with my helmet dangling on my handlebars
This is at least encouraging.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-04-22, 12:12 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Another endorsement for the Halo. I do make a suggestion. When you stop for regroup (etc.) take it off and squeeze it out. Once they reach full saturation they actually go on to make the problem worse. The biggest issue for me was it then dripping directly onto the back of my eyeglass lens, which rolls to the bottom where the airflow then kicks in back up into your eyes.
Likes For Juan Foote:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.