Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

36" Inseam 5'10" Vintage Sizing

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

36" Inseam 5'10" Vintage Sizing

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-22, 01:58 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Axel Merckx, Eddy's son, has a similar build--all arms and legs. Eddy and I lean in that direction, but not as bad. I'm 5-11.5 with 35" legs and a 75" wingspan. In modern bikes, I've found 57-58 cm fits well if the top tube doesn't go over 57 cm. I have a '80 Masi, 60 cm with a 57 cm top tube, that fits me perfectly. With the seat clamp reversed it looks like your upper body position is quite vertical and your leg extension is a little short. I'd venture to say you could get more leg extension by moving the saddle back. You might also get more power and better handling with a lower back angle and lowering the stem. Start with the shorter stem, then see if you can use the longer one without crabbing to the front of the saddle as you ride.

One advantage of those old British frames for you is the top tubes on the taller sizes tended to be shorter.
Old 12-02-22, 09:00 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Came across this frameset for sale today:- https://groups.google.com/g/650b/c/xmkkpO7dQrA

Raleigh Gran Tour steel 531c with 531fork, at seat tube 64cm ctt, with toptube 57cm ctc.
73/73 built by Raleigh Special Lightweights div. 700x35 or so.
Likes For tangerineowl:
Old 12-04-22, 02:06 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by tangerineowl
Raleigh Gran Tour steel 531c with 531fork, at seat tube 64cm ctt, with toptube 57cm ctc.
73/73 built by Raleigh Special Lightweights div. 700x35 or so.
Case in point, a tall British frame with a short top tube. The proportions for the International are more conventional.
Old 07-16-23, 05:01 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Naughty thread bump.
Here's another UK frameset. 531c.
63.5cm / 57cm with a 21cm headtube.
https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/388416/

Finding these type of frame proportions is a bit of a hobby of mine.
Old 08-07-23, 11:22 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by ericlowney
I ended up measuring both ways because some videos/sites said with shoes and some said without. With shoes it’s 36” and without is 35.5”.

The way I have the Dawes set up right now is actually pretty comfortable so far (longest ride on it like this was 40 miles). Since starting this thread I have changed quite a bit, but the seat post height was risen because I was having some knee discomfort when it was lower, but that was also before I changed the crankset so I might play with lowering it a touch.

I think the Dawes is 98% set up perfectly, my bigger issue is that I’m trying to upgrade the frame to a nicer one and I’m struggling with what size or geometry to look for with long limbs and a short torso. I’m thinking anything I could make anything from 58-62cm work with the sweet spot being around 59-60cm C-T? But that’s really just a guess. The Dawes is 62cm (24.5”) C-T as a reference point.
When going to a smaller frame be aware of your knees hitting the handlebars. Smaller frames by design will bring the handlebars closer to your knees. Your Felt and Trek did what they are supposed to do. They make you stay in very aerodynamic positions which is your upper body almost parallel with the ground. The seatposts are not out too far from what I see being ridden by the high performance crowd here in Sacramento CA. If you are migrating away from these low handlebar positions then coming to terms with that will answer a lot of questions about sizing. If you like your present handlebar setup which is much higher that your previous bikes then so be it. Any new bikes should be able to reflect that handlebar position just as you have it on the Dawes. I really like your old Dawes. Even though it is not top of the line it is still a fast reliable bicycle and you will surprise lots of people who think somehow its the carbon and not the legs.
Old 08-17-23, 07:17 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Frame geometry of that era was nearly always designed for criterium racing and not great for general riding. Check out a modern bike like the Trek Domane and compare its head tube angle and fork rake to these old bikes.
I've looked at an awful lot of old geo charts, and I have yet to find a common production road bike with the legendary "criterium geometry" compared to today.