Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Giant EBike Charger

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Giant EBike Charger

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-22, 08:33 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Giant EBike Charger

I own a 2022 Giant Fast Road EBike.

I purchased a charger for the bike and observed a peculiarity for the charger which makes wonder if the charger is safe to use and should be returned. The plug that mates with the bike for charging doesnt have the same number of prongs/pins as the bike has holes/contact openings for the prongs. See photos.

Is this safe to use?

Will it damage the battery?

Old 10-21-22, 09:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
If you bought your bike new it should have come with a charger, if they sold it to you, they are either shady operators or Giant is really that bad they don't include an extremely important item with the bike that makes the bike pretty useless without. If you bought the bike used and it didn't come with charger you have another case of shady operators and I would check with local shops and bikeindex to find out if it was stolen. If you purchased a charger from an authorized Giant dealer check with them and make sure it is correct or check with Yamaha assuming they share the same charger. If you purchased it from somewhere else not authorized to sell Giant, I may not use it as I wouldn't want to use a third party charger or some fake or knockoff charger on my bike in case there is an issue.

I am unsure what charger Giant is currently using and exactly what it looks like as our shop has been out of the Giant game for a looong time and they had just started their partnership with Yamaha as we were getting out. There is possibility of it being the correct charger and it is designed to go in two different directions but that does seem a touch odd. I will see if any of my local friends who had worked at Giant dealers are still around there. However I would also check with your local shop to be sure. Destroying a battery is not good.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-22-22, 12:52 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My bike was purchased new and came with a charger.

I want to have a spare charger for the office. I don't want to have to carry a massive charger around with me.

I purchased the spare charger from a Giant dealer. I'm posting here because I'm not convinced the dealer knows what they're doing (they say the charger will work fine) and Giant won't provide information to consumers.
Likes For BROOKLINEBIKER:
Old 10-23-22, 05:44 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I work in a bike shop and we se Giant. Yesterday 5 build up a Giant ebike and charged the battery so my knowledge is quite fresh! Yes that is the correct plug.Notice the row of 2 and the row of 3 "connectors". It will interface with the connector on the bike frame. If you are attempting to remove the battery and charge it they is another "special" connector.
Old 10-24-22, 06:36 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
As others have said, that's correct, you only use 5 of the 7 pins for charging. The 2 other pins are used for connecting an external auxiliary battery.