Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Are hidden e-bike motors still a thing?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-22, 08:53 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts

A few years ago, I read about a system called Vivax, which had a small shaft and gear that was meant to be hidden within the seat tube and provide a modest assist. It popped into my head today, and I read today that they went out of business a couple of years ago. Is anyone else making systems like this? I had thought about converting one of my bikes, but maybe this is a moot point now. I know there are other systems on the market, but I was specifically interested in the small footprint and modest assist that the Vivax system claimed to provide.
Old 11-16-22, 08:59 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
there are a few treks new bike
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...ode=black_grey
this brand has been around awhile
https://www.fazua.com/en/
Old 11-16-22, 09:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
I would look at an already built system, Fazua or the Mahle mid-drive that Specialized is using would be good places to start. The hidden motors were I feel like largely for the cheating market and weren't necessarily and good system. I am sure they had uses outside of that but the stuff out today is so much better.
Old 11-17-22, 10:09 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
Vivax was ingenious, but low power and the pinion gear that connected the motor to the crank was high maintenance (I've heard). If perfected, it could be a fun system.
Likes For 2old: