Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First Ride On Superteam Carbon Wheels

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

First Ride On Superteam Carbon Wheels

Old 10-31-19, 06:01 PM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Sorry to hear it, hope you recover quickly! I'm also healing from a crash last weekend, at a gravel race (crash was on a paved section between gravel segments). Road was wet and I knew I was going too fast, bike started to slide on a sharp right hand curve and then high-sided, tore up my left leg pretty good when I landed. Bike was mostly ok and still rideable, and I still had 20 miles to go in the race, so I kept going. Leg is healing, nothing broken thankfully, but I'll have some good scars. At least the cause of mine was obvious, yours def sounds odd.
Wishing you a quick recovery as well. Bike turn out to be ok after you finished and looked it over? I'm assuming the Revolt?
Old 10-31-19, 06:21 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Just reading through this and wow. Firstly, sorry to hear about your wreck and injuries. Get well soon! Also, great detail and information all around. Thanks for the contribution with regards to these wheels. They look amazing, as do your bikes!
Old 11-01-19, 07:57 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by str8jakett
Wishing you a quick recovery as well. Bike turn out to be ok after you finished and looked it over? I'm assuming the Revolt?
Thanks. Yup, it was the Revolt. Scuffed the shifter and pedal, and tore the hood cover, but mechanically it was fine. I was surprised there wasn't more damage considering the speed and the tumble I took across the road and off the shoulder. Guess my leg took most of the impact. lol Looked back at my Strava data and I was def going way too fast. It's funny, the gps track doesn't always follow the road precisely, but it definitely tracked me going right off the other side. I'm extremely thankful that a car wasn't coming, they would have hit me without ever even seeing me.

Old 11-01-19, 08:22 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
Just reading through this and wow. Firstly, sorry to hear about your wreck and injuries. Get well soon! Also, great detail and information all around. Thanks for the contribution with regards to these wheels. They look amazing, as do your bikes!
Thanks! I've enjoyed "testing" these wheels and I'm also a bit of a gear and photo junkie so it all fits well for the thread!

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Thanks. Yup, it was the Revolt. Scuffed the shifter and pedal, and tore the hood cover, but mechanically it was fine. I was surprised there wasn't more damage considering the speed and the tumble I took across the road and off the shoulder. Guess my leg took most of the impact. lol Looked back at my Strava data and I was def going way too fast. It's funny, the gps track doesn't always follow the road precisely, but it definitely tracked me going right off the other side. I'm extremely thankful that a car wasn't coming, they would have hit me without ever even seeing me.
Very thankful you didn't get the car incident stacked on top! It's tough to damage a bike but glad everything is working functionally and no damage to the frame. Kind of related to your Strava track, my stupid Garmin is constantly throwing false incident alerts whenever I brake too fast for intersections or stops, but failed to detect an actual crash.

As far as that front wheel goes, the more I look at the damage, the more I really feel like it's just superficial. The actual feel is no more than a light scuff, and doesn't seem to be any gouging into the carbon. The scuff is also above the brake track and does not extend into the lip. I'd relate it to taking some rough grit sandpaper and cosmetically scouring the surface of the wheel.

So I'm going to take the wheel to my shop, get it trued, get a professional opinion on the damage, and then go from there on a replacement.
Old 11-02-19, 05:00 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,190 Posts
I would scrap that wheel. The hook for the tire bead is just on the other side of that damage. If that portion of the wheel fails, you are going to blow the tire off the bead. Carbon doesn't like that kind of abuse.
Just get a new front wheel, it wont be that expensive. Sure be cheaper than another busted collar bone.
Likes For ls01:
Old 11-05-19, 06:46 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Originally Posted by ls01
I would scrap that wheel. The hook for the tire bead is just on the other side of that damage. If that portion of the wheel fails, you are going to blow the tire off the bead. Carbon doesn't like that kind of abuse.
Just get a new front wheel, it wont be that expensive. Sure be cheaper than another busted collar bone.
In the end, this is probably the safest decision. For the price of a single wheel, I will probably just buy another full set. Unfortunately that's not in the budget right now, being out of work. Just blessed to have multiple bikes to make up for the gap.
Old 11-05-19, 07:52 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Could you describe in your opinion what the "profile" of the wheel is? Is it more of the older classic rounded "vee" shape, or is more of the modern bulged out "U" shape?

I see a lot of the open mold Chinese stuff going to the modern shapes, but if I buy something (even these) I don't want to be getting the old school tech.

I have wondered a bit about wheels in general what the wear/incident rate is when comparing it to rider weight and rider location. A 90kg rider in crap British or roads in Maine will probably have a tougher time than a sub 70kg rider on generally good roads will have.
Old 11-05-19, 08:43 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
In the end, this is probably the safest decision. For the price of a single wheel, I will probably just buy another full set. Unfortunately that's not in the budget right now, being out of work. Just blessed to have multiple bikes to make up for the gap.
I probably wouldn't bother replacing that wheel. If you ever saw some of the wheel damage that comes in on mountain bike wheels at my shop, you'd see that area is much stronger than you think.

Your wheel has slight abrasion damage, not heavy impact damage..
Old 11-05-19, 10:20 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Could you describe in your opinion what the "profile" of the wheel is? Is it more of the older classic rounded "vee" shape, or is more of the modern bulged out "U" shape?

I see a lot of the open mold Chinese stuff going to the modern shapes, but if I buy something (even these) I don't want to be getting the old school tech.

I have wondered a bit about wheels in general what the wear/incident rate is when comparing it to rider weight and rider location. A 90kg rider in crap British or roads in Maine will probably have a tougher time than a sub 70kg rider on generally good roads will have.
The second set in the thread, the 50 deep set, are "V" shaped, while the original wheels, the 38s, are "U" shaped. I would have preferred another U shaped wheel but since the second set was more budget oriented, I did the cheaper option. I think it's been mentioned elsewhere, but I also have a set of Zipp 404 Firecrest, that are U shaped profile. I definitely notice the difference in side winds.

My weight also fluctuates between 75kg and 68kg depending on the season. Roads locally are pretty rough with potholes, chipseal, and patching the preferred method of fixing rather than full repaving. I have been very impressed with how the 38s held true through the many times I banged through an unexpected pothole or transition. Only very recently had the rear one gone slightly out of true and it's not even enough to have bothered fixing yet. They are currently at 4300 miles.

Originally Posted by noodle soup
I probably wouldn't bother replacing that wheel. If you ever saw some of the wheel damage that comes in on mountain bike wheels at my shop, you'd see that area is much stronger than you think.

Your wheel has slight abrasion damage, not heavy impact damage..
With your experience, I appreciate your input on the damage.
Likes For str8jakett:
Old 11-05-19, 10:33 AM
noodle soup

With your experience, I appreciate your input on the damage.
I would replace it if you feel it pulse under braking.
Old 11-28-19, 02:11 AM
BASS87401

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I’m new here and read all the remarks, bummer there’s crash n burns and heart break and busted wallets, however, my history in riding has been over 15years, I got excited and bought the new tarmac expert with disc, over my alloy rim brakes (at the time I never thought of carbon), VERY FIRST RIDE- coming off a 20 percent grade brakes boiled and over heated and flew off the side ! Luckily heard fast, lot a of road rash, helmet gone, shoes gone, gloves trashed, bibs gone, bike cracked at head tube, (fork held up) ... so went back to rim brakes. Long story short, I had a borrowed pair of Zipps 404s and bought some rovals 50mm and 32mm and fulcrums. I got in a pinch and sold em, when I wanted some new wheels, I got some off Craigslist, (yoeleo) and held up great, sold em, (mistake) later on, looked deeply into super teams, I live close to Colorado and have mtns 30mins away, and love to ride them much as possible, bought a climbers set, 40mm novetec hubs cxray spokes, actual wieght 1355grams! Tbh the road better than others I’ve had, spun up well, brakes impressive, sometimes I wud do a hard stop to touch the carbon, and it was hot haha but never felt so confident in braking or climbing and descending in the same mtn I wrecked on! So, I bought a set of 50mm, and now I just got 60mm and read this forum, I have over 3000 miles on them and it must been a build thing, I have had to true them nearly the 3000 mile mark. But love em love em!!! I refer my friends to them! And I did the same thing with Ellie, hounded and hounded! I felt bad! But all wheels have held up and love the builds! One draw back... I’ve noticed the clear coat fades over time.
Old 11-29-19, 09:25 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Originally Posted by BASS87401
Wow, I’m new here and read all the remarks, bummer there’s crash n burns and heart break and busted wallets, however, my history in riding has been over 15years, I got excited and bought the new tarmac expert with disc, over my alloy rim brakes (at the time I never thought of carbon), VERY FIRST RIDE- coming off a 20 percent grade brakes boiled and over heated and flew off the side ! Luckily heard fast, lot a of road rash, helmet gone, shoes gone, gloves trashed, bibs gone, bike cracked at head tube, (fork held up) ... so went back to rim brakes. Long story short, I had a borrowed pair of Zipps 404s and bought some rovals 50mm and 32mm and fulcrums. I got in a pinch and sold em, when I wanted some new wheels, I got some off Craigslist, (yoeleo) and held up great, sold em, (mistake) later on, looked deeply into super teams, I live close to Colorado and have mtns 30mins away, and love to ride them much as possible, bought a climbers set, 40mm novetec hubs cxray spokes, actual wieght 1355grams! Tbh the road better than others I’ve had, spun up well, brakes impressive, sometimes I wud do a hard stop to touch the carbon, and it was hot haha but never felt so confident in braking or climbing and descending in the same mtn I wrecked on! So, I bought a set of 50mm, and now I just got 60mm and read this forum, I have over 3000 miles on them and it must been a build thing, I have had to true them nearly the 3000 mile mark. But love em love em!!! I refer my friends to them! And I did the same thing with Ellie, hounded and hounded! I felt bad! But all wheels have held up and love the builds! One draw back... I’ve noticed the clear coat fades over time.
Thanks for adding your experiences to the thread! I've got a local friend who has also ordered two sets and he loves his as well, although his mileage is not very high on either yet. They are both 50mm sets.

The front wheel with abrasion damage is at the LBS for a truing job and inspection and so far everything is looking good. There is no damage anywhere else on the wheel, nothing under the rim strip, and the wheel seems to be straightening out fine. Once I get it back, I still won't be able to test ride it for a few weeks but I will be looking forward to the results.

​​​​​
Old 05-04-20, 02:38 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
This thread is really informative and the regular updates are awesome and appreciated. I hope the injuries have healed up from your crash.

I have an older canti brake CX bike that I needed a cheap wheelset for. After looking at various aluminum rim brake options I decided to order a set of 23mm wide Superteams via Amazon Prime. I went with the 38mm depth and these have the Powerway R13 hubs, and 3k matte finish with the glossy black logos. I debated going for a deeper section, but I'm planning on running 28mm tires which I think are too large to get true aero benefits on a 23mm wheel, and plus it's an old canti CX bike, so... does aero really matter that much? I dunno... the 38mm version was slightly cheaper and a little lighter.

This is my first/only carbon wheelset. I always thought rim brake carbon wheels were a terrible idea in general, but I only paid $329 for them and my expectations are pretty low. I will not be descending mountains on these or racing them in the mud, and still have an old aluminum wheelset for winter/rain riding. The main selling point for me was that these wheels were at least $150 cheaper than a comparable aluminum set, and they were wider than the Shimano Ultegra wheels they are replacing.

The box arrived today, professionally packed and damage free. The wheels look great, are true and seem to spin smoothly. Spinning them in my hand the rear hubs seems super loud, which may be an issue for some but isn't likely to bother me. They are low spoke count (20F/24R) but I'm not very big (5'-9"/155lbs) and will not be off-roading on them, so I'm not super worried about this. I was surprised to get skewers, which I didn't think were included. They also included some extra spokes and a set of brake pads. I have ordered a set of Swiss Stop black prince pads, but they haven't arrived yet so I'll probably give the Superteam pads a whirl for a few days. I don't have a scale but have seen other posts where buyers confirm the published weights, which is 1540g. On paper they're 100g lighter than the Ultegra wheels they are replacing. No idea if I will actually notice any difference or not.

Once I get them mounted up I'll post some photos and thoughts after an initial ride or two.
Old 05-04-20, 05:31 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
OK I get it, lighter wheels are better. No argument from me there.
That's the reason I went for a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST (Aluminum) at a Mavic stated weight of 1520g / pair (without tires)
Cost me $410 out the door with the included Mavic TL tires and sealant.

But I don't understand the advantage of Carbon if the weight is similar ?

What am I missing?

Thanks

Barry
Old 05-05-20, 07:35 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Barry2
That's the reason I went for a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST (Aluminum) at a Mavic stated weight of 1520g / pair (without tires)

What am I missing?

Thanks

Barry
The weight isn't similar once the wheels get deeper than 30mm or so My wheelset is 56mm deep with a 23mm internal width, and weigh 20g less than your Mavic wheelset.
Old 05-05-20, 07:43 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by Barry2

What am I missing?

Thanks

Barry
I think the main benefit of carbon wheels is that they can have deeper profiles without a big weight penalty. When paired with a correctly sized tire, deep section wheels can provide big aero benefits. A deep section aluminum rim would be very heavy. There may be some ride quality arguments as well, but I think it's mostly an aero thing. Plus they look pretty cool.

Those Mavics look like nice wheels. The sticker price on them is $750, so you got a good deal. My only concern with those would be that they come with 25mm tires, which is narrower than I'd prefer to ride.
Old 05-05-20, 08:26 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
I am not aero enough (yet) to even consider aero wheels.
I didn’t think about profile. Thanks for the info.

oh, appearance........ way cool

Barry
Old 05-05-20, 06:01 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
Will do.

Oh and question...my front wheel makes a weird sound and I'm not sure if it's just the way these carbon wheels are. These are my first carbon wheels I ever rode on. I think the front hub is fine because on the stand they seem to roll smooth and silent. When hammering a bit I notice almost like a constant whoosh type sound in the front. I wonder if it's a wind noise, or just road noise.
It's some resonance in the cavernous interior of the wheel. I think all or at least most carbon deep-section wheels do this. Mine make that little barely audible rumbling sound too.
Old 05-06-20, 07:00 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
This thread being 2 years old, has anyone purchased "SuperTeam" wheels recently? The cool looking wheels purchased by the OP don't seem to be available any more... at least not in that zig-zag carbon weave pattern. In just the last year or so, wide disc rims are all the rage, so I'm wondering if any of you have purchased the disc wheels and what your impressions are.
Old 05-06-20, 07:55 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
This thread being 2 years old, has anyone purchased "SuperTeam" wheels recently? The cool looking wheels purchased by the OP don't seem to be available any more... at least not in that zig-zag carbon weave pattern. In just the last year or so, wide disc rims are all the rage, so I'm wondering if any of you have purchased the disc wheels and what your impressions are.
I just bought a set last week and didn't see anything that looked like the finish on the OP's wheels when I was shopping. I believe those are a 12k weave? There were lots of different options for logo styles and colors, and some without any logos. I think the only finish options I saw were 3k or UD, which is more of a flat look without a visible weave pattern.

I was only shopping on Amazon, and only looking at rim brake options. They had 23 and 25mm widths for rim brake in stock, but probably have wider versions for discs.Their website shows a ton of options.

The wheels I bought are a 3k matte finish, with the logo being polished. They look like this:
Old 05-16-20, 09:25 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

I haven't looked recently but the 12k was still available in a few eBay auctions from certain sellers. I also basically picked the options on the first set bought from kingbike and the 12k weave was something I asked for specifically during one of the many emails back and forth.

This is the third season on the set, although I haven't been outside very much so far, riding a different bike indoors. They are still holding up nicely, spin free, and brake track looks good. 4,633 mileage count.
Old 08-14-20, 08:07 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I ordered a set of these in late July and had them by August 1. So far I have about 450 miles on them; they have been fantastic. They were true when they arrived, and I've now ridden them on a mix of nicely paved trail, good roads, and absolutely terrible roads. I've been very impressed with them, though I had some initial issues getting the brakes set up (my fault - the rims are a good bit wider than what I had). These are my first 50mm rims after a couple of decades of riding, I am enjoying them. While I don't have a true way to compare my speed with them versus my old wheels - too many variables, no power meter - they certainly feel fast (though that may obviously be psychological). The only negative is the read hub is very, very loud.

Anyway, for the less than $400 I spent on them, I couldn't be happier. Unless they detonate after a few thousand miles, I am quite happy with the wheels and feel fine riding them every day. I may have eventually purchased more expensive wheels, but the low cost of these certainly made me feel better about trying carbon rims.

Getting ready for a metric century.

The chug checking out the new wheels.
Old 08-16-20, 07:15 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Got a set back in February. I've put on close to 4000 km so far. No issues. Gone over ruts and pot holes. Check them every ride. Still in great shape. They are good value for the money, and look pretty good, but as far as performance improvements are concerned, it's pretty marginal at best. Don't expect to be going 2 mph faster all of a sudden with the installation of these or any other set of carbon aero wheels. Maybe if you were regularly averaging 30 mph on your rides you might see a bigger benefit. But for those of us who are happy doing 20 mph average, I'm happy with the aesthetic improvement alone.
Old 09-24-20, 08:48 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

5700 miles and still happy.

Updating this thread to move them to a new bike. The 2015 Propel is donating it's groupset and Superteams to a new-to-me 2015 TCR.

​​​​​​Still working out the fit, waiting on steerer parts before cutting, since I know someone will call me out on that .
Likes For str8jakett:
Old 10-07-20, 01:53 PM
Laseranimal

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Question for those who have purchased Superteams. It looks like most of these wheels have a rim size of 23-25mm. Would that mean you couldn't run a 25mm tire?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.