Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

About MKS toeclips for road cycling- I am lost!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-18-22, 03:45 AM
gigadeath

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I finally decided I want to try toeclips, at last. I dismount too many times during a trip for clipless and dedicated shoes to make sense anymore. I started with Looks, then SPDs for many many years while my type of trip evolved, and now I spend as much time on foot than on the bicycle.

But I am lost on which toeclips to try. MKS simply makes too many. Pedals will be GR-10 or Urban Platforms for sure. Also the pedals will be used with trainers, so it seems I need the "Deep" versions? (at least it seems so reading MKS website)

Anyone with a decent experience can tell me pros and cons of:
  • half clips vs full clips?
  • standard clips vs wire cages? (didn't even know they had a wire cage option)
  • what about sizes? (I am size US 10.5/11 so I think I fall under either M or L?)

Thanks for any input!
Old 08-18-22, 05:00 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
You might do better posting this in the Classic and Vintage sub-forum https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/
Old 08-18-22, 07:26 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
If you put your foot down a bunch, I would think toe clips would be exponentially worse than SPD. With toe clips you have to constantly fiddle over where the clip is, make sure you dont step on top and bend it, make sure it is loose but still tight, etc. Sliding a running shoe into toe clips over and over again is less elegant than just having SPD and double sides pedals where you put your fool on top of the pedal and press down as you pedal forward.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-18-22, 07:29 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
These Half Clips are Great.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 08-18-22, 07:49 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Adidas Velosamba is pretty much a casual fitness shoe, with SPD cleat. It's a comfy and somewhat fashionable Samba with the cleat option.
Old 08-18-22, 10:14 AM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
Have you considered pedal straps?
Old 08-18-22, 10:35 AM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
I put something like these on my commuter bike with flat pedals. They don't break or bend. I used work shoes or tennis shoes.

https://www.amazon.com/Just-Joy-Peda...s%2C251&sr=8-4
Old 08-18-22, 10:57 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
These are my favorites and I have them on three bikes. There are cheaper ones but I like the bling factor of these. I personally like the double gate as it's wider and easier to slide your feet in and out.
Soma Oppy X Double Gate Toe Clips

Also these cheap leather straps seem to be holding up well. I was skeptical but I've had a couple sets of these for a few years. I little classier than the nylon ones.
Fenix Leather Pedal Toe Bike Straps
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 08-18-22, 11:07 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
If you put your foot down a bunch, I would think toe clips would be exponentially worse than SPD. With toe clips you have to constantly fiddle over where the clip is, make sure you dont step on top and bend it, make sure it is loose but still tight, etc. Sliding a running shoe into toe clips over and over again is less elegant than just having SPD and double sides pedals where you put your fool on top of the pedal and press down as you pedal forward.
In real life, you don't need to "constantly fiddle" with anything (assuming they're installed right and you're using them correctly), and if you're stepping on top and bending them, you just need more practice. I have them on all my bikes, as well as my wife's, and it's just second nature. Very easy and hassle free. The only time I have to adjust the straps is when I change riding shoes, which only happens every few years. We ride in walking shoes.
Old 08-18-22, 11:08 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 279 Posts
Just note that the MKS cages run small. I wear a 9.5 shoe and use the Large cage...
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 08-18-22, 11:30 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
And don't be ashamed to just ride plain flat pedals if your cadence isn't so fast that your feet are flying off the pedals.
Old 08-18-22, 07:54 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 1,927 Posts
What shoes do you wear for riding?

Standard toeclips are designed for use with traditional cycling shoes, which have a fairly shallow toe-box. If you use modern cycling shoes or street shoes, you may find that standard toeclips are not tall enough to easily fit your shoes. There are taller toeclips for MTB use that may be more appropriate.

Re: length of the toeclip. American feet tend to be larger than European or Asian feet, so it's generally safer to opt for a longer clip if your shoe size is borderline between two lengths.
Old 08-18-22, 10:26 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
In real life, you don't need to "constantly fiddle" with anything (assuming they're installed right and you're using them correctly), and if you're stepping on top and bending them, you just need more practice. I have them on all my bikes, as well as my wife's, and it's just second nature. Very easy and hassle free. The only time I have to adjust the straps is when I change riding shoes, which only happens every few years. We ride in walking shoes.
I used clips and straps on the road for years, even loaded touring. I also used them on the mountain bike for years. I hate them and always hated them.

I have size 13 wide feet. I used Christophe LL clips and I would bend and reshape them so they didn't put pressure on the top of my feet. I also toe-out so I would re drill the clips and pedal bodies to get the clip as far outside as I could. I also had to bend down the little bump on the outside of the pedal body or when using MTB style pedals I would grind them flat on a grinding wheel.

Starting on a hill or a technical dirt section you can definitely step on the clip or drag it on the ground. If I snug the strap my feet get numb. This is my biggest problem with clips and straps, especially in cold weather. I've stopped the bike and my feet were so numb I couldn't walk. I've had more falls from tight straps than I ever had with clipless.

Using SPD mountain bike pedals with walkable shoes is so much better than clips in every way except for the ability to use any shoes with clips. I've used clips and straps with touring shoes, mtb shoes made for clips, and hard plastic soled road shoes with cleats and even without cleats. I cannot imagine a scenario where I would be inclined to ever use them again.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-19-22, 10:12 AM
gigadeath

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
What shoes do you wear for riding?

Standard toeclips are designed for use with traditional cycling shoes, which have a fairly shallow toe-box. If you use modern cycling shoes or street shoes, you may find that standard toeclips are not tall enough to easily fit your shoes. There are taller toeclips for MTB use that may be more appropriate.

Re: length of the toeclip. American feet tend to be larger than European or Asian feet, so it's generally safer to opt for a longer clip if your shoe size is borderline between two lengths.
Nowadays I ride with SPD shoes by Lake - a pricy model with leather uppers and carbon sole, so nothing badly designed - but I want to ditch cycling-specific shoes altogether.

So I'm going towards low profile trainers, and of course, being Italian, they will be Supergas. I already took for granted that I need the "Deep" version of MKS toeclips (whatever model I choose).

Last edited by gigadeath; 08-19-22 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-19-22, 10:54 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
I'm a foot size 10, with shoes above I would use the XL size.

With my Onitsuka Tiger shoes I use the L size.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 08-19-22, 11:51 AM
gigadeath

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
I'm a foot size 10, with shoes above I would use the XL size.

With my Onitsuka Tiger shoes I use the L size.
I don't usually like pedals to be "too much" under the balls of my feet, but rather nearer to the fingers... also I thought that with non-cycling shoes I would rather require "high" (aka deep) clips rather than "long" clips.

(I'm also wondering whether to get "deep" clips at all, as Supergas have pretty low profile as far as trainers go)

With XL clips I fear I'd feel the foot stand too much forward...
Old 08-19-22, 12:17 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
They are a solution to an issue which does not exist. There is just no need for toeclips. If SPD doesnt work for someone then they can ride in running shoes and a wide platform instead of toeclips. You keep doing you- you have a strong streak of enjoying the road less traveled, even when it doesnt make sense. Thats funny for me to say since I too often follow that road. But toeclips with running shoes or whatever 'regular' shoe the OP uses?...nope, that isnt a benefit. Toeclips will not add power, not add speed, not add safety, and not add to the experience.
Old 08-19-22, 12:50 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
They are a solution to an issue which does not exist. There is just no need for toeclips. If SPD doesnt work for someone then they can ride in running shoes and a wide platform instead of toeclips. You keep doing you- you have a strong streak of enjoying the road less traveled, even when it doesnt make sense. Thats funny for me to say since I too often follow that road. But toeclips with running shoes or whatever 'regular' shoe the OP uses?...nope, that isnt a benefit. Toeclips will not add power, not add speed, not add safety, and not add to the experience.
Your probably a better rider, but when I was riding and racing my mt. bike with flats and clips, (before spd), I felt much more secure.
Old 08-19-22, 01:01 PM
gigadeath

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I already stated I tried all kind of pedal and cleats. I also stated that now I want to try toeclips. You are off topic and the first reply was enough to cover your point of view.

Thank you for understanding
Likes For gigadeath:
Old 08-19-22, 01:53 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Originally Posted by gigadeath

So I'm going towards low profile trainers, and of course, being Italian, they will be Supergas. I already took for granted that I need the "Deep" version of MKS toeclips (whatever model I choose).

Those look pretty good but I don't know how sturdy the sole is. You can also find similar shoes from Afton, Five-Ten, and even Vans.
Old 08-19-22, 02:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
Size 10 1/2 feet here. Been using toeclips with cycling shoes and cleats forever and with leather dress type (steel shanked) shoes even longer. Christophe L or Japanese XL for a traditional under-the-ball pedal placement. Don't bother with Japanese L. If I am wrong, the penalty for too long is not big, Just don't jam your foot in hard. And many of us prefer our feet not jammed in hard anyway. (Exception - if you have shoe-tire/fender overlap.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-19-22, 05:59 PM
Jeff Neese

I've been riding with toe clips and straps for at least 45 years, maybe a little longer. I am not a competitive cyclist but have ridden hundreds of thousands of miles with that setup, including loaded touring. Lots of benefits.

They keep the ball of your foot over the spindle where it should be (so of course there is added power), and also provide a huge safety benefit compared to open platform pedals by keeping your feet from slipping off, which often results in a crash. I personally don't tighten the straps down, so it allows some "float" while still keeping my feet solidly on the pedals. And, I can ride in whatever shoes I want to. My current riding shoes are Sketchers.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 08-20-22, 03:52 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
I've been riding XT flats with the shallow pins on my commuter for some time now and its been great. I can use normal sneakers or mtb shoes, I can get on/off the bike and walk, don't have to clip in/out at every intersection, etc. And Ive had no slipping, at all.

Decades ago I had some full clip pedals. I found them both fiddly and uncomfortable. Had to be loose enough to get in and out, but not loose enough to be pointless. The pedal itself was clearly designed with a stiff bike shoe in mind and using them with sneakers quickly created hotspots from the pedal digging + the clip scuffed the nose of the shoes. I'm betting the pedal pictured in #4 would do the same.
That said, the Urban platforms with leather wrapped 1/2 clips do look nice. I'm tempted myself.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 08-20-22, 05:01 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
I've been riding XT flats with the shallow pins on my commuter for some time now and its been great. I can use normal sneakers or mtb shoes, I can get on/off the bike and walk, don't have to clip in/out at every intersection, etc. And Ive had no slipping, at all.

Decades ago I had some full clip pedals. I found them both fiddly and uncomfortable. Had to be loose enough to get in and out, but not loose enough to be pointless. The pedal itself was clearly designed with a stiff bike shoe in mind and using them with sneakers quickly created hotspots from the pedal digging + the clip scuffed the nose of the shoes. I'm betting the pedal pictured in #4 would do the same.
That said, the Urban platforms with leather wrapped 1/2 clips do look nice. I'm tempted myself.
These pedals are perfect for riding in sneakers, and with toe clips. I have MKS Sylvans on a few bikes but I like these better for my kind of riding. I just ordered another pair of these (with Soma clips) for my Trek 750.

MKS GR-10 Platform Pedals

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 08-20-22 at 06:51 AM.
Likes For Jeff Neese: