Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

eBike for 14yr Old Kid

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

eBike for 14yr Old Kid

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-22, 02:03 PM
portals

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
eBike for 14yr Old Kid

My son turned 14 last week, over the weekend we both cycled, got train then more cycling to visit his grand parents and I was explaining what an ebike is to them (both in 80s...).

Anyway got a call tonight from them and they asked if he's like an ebike for Christmas, initial thoughts were no chance, too dangerous, however after looking in to it I have somewhat changed my point of view.

I hadn't come across any ebikes for kids but there are plenty of the out there, even Argos is selling them for £800 mark and they look OK for that price I suppose with 250W 15.5mph limit and not great 36V battery.

Given he already rides around on his bike at 15mph and keeps up with me on my ebike (home brew 1500W rear hub/52V 17.5AH battery), I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to him, answer is probably yes, we can go on longer rides together and maybe visit grand parents without having to hop most of it on train. He's quite a sensible lad, been on bikes since he was 4 so it's really other drivers and theft I'm most worried about.

Does anyone have kids that have an ebike, would be interested to hear your experiences?
Old 10-18-22, 02:25 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
My only suggestion is to avoid the Super 73-like bikes that are "difficult to pedal efficiently behemoths" and maybe procure a PAS-only bike. That's what I did for my granddaughter.
Likes For 2old:
Old 10-19-22, 10:26 AM
IsraelStall
Banned.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not at all, I had such a bike, and it is ok. Ok, maybe the S. 73 is different from others and demands a personal approach, but in my view, it was fit for me enough.
Old 10-19-22, 03:23 PM
portals

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks, however I'm not going to spend that amount so will probably go with 250W rear hub that can be moved to a bigger frame as he grows on donor frames.

cheers