Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Hollowgram SI Crank bolt washer type?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-21-22, 01:18 PM
dongo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hey has anybody ever found a washer that fits on the Cannondale Hollowgram crank bolts? I need to replace a bunch of them and I can only find them so far by purchasing additional sets of bolts at $20 a pop, so not a great option. I've measured that the outer diameter is about 25mm and the inner diameter is ~23mm, but that search doesn't yield anything.

Thanks for any help or commiseration you can provide.
Old 10-21-22, 03:26 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,162 Times in 672 Posts
These ?

Barry
Old 10-22-22, 07:08 AM
soonerrebel

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dongo
Hey has anybody ever found a washer that fits on the Cannondale Hollowgram crank bolts? I need to replace a bunch of them and I can only find them so far by purchasing additional sets of bolts at $20 a pop, so not a great option. I've measured that the outer diameter is about 25mm and the inner diameter is ~23mm, but that search doesn't yield anything.

Thanks for any help or commiseration you can provide.
I have multiple Cannondale Hollowgram cranks and those small washers are easy to lose. Sorry but I don't have good news, I've searched many times to source these washers but have never succeeded. Buying the crank bolts with the washers was my only way to get the washers.
Old 10-22-22, 12:58 PM
dongo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
These

Barry
Thanks but No, not those. Those all go around the spindle I'm talking about the super then washers that are between the crankarm and the crankarm bolts. I called Cannondale this week they said they don't even have them & they're only sold as a kit with the bolt, so if you want them you have to find them on your own.
Old 10-22-22, 01:15 PM
dongo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by soonerrebel
I have multiple Cannondale Hollowgram cranks and those small washers are easy to lose. Sorry but I don't have good news, I've searched many times to source these washers but have never succeeded. Buying the crank bolts with the washers was my only way to get the washers.
After doing some research I think I found the same washer but only a little thicker, which should be fine. I ordered some from the UK I'll let you know if they work out.
Likes For dongo:
Old 10-22-22, 02:03 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
After doing some research I think I found the same washer but only a little thicker, which should be fine. I ordered some from the UK I'll let you know if they work out.
Let us know how it goes.
there was a titanium hardware vendor in Toronto who listed all kinds of bike fasteners on their site. One of the titanium hardware items were these this thin washers that go under the Hollowgram crank bolts. Unfortunately, the last I checked this site has been listed as "suspended until further notice due to covid" or something along those lines. If anyone knows if this this person is back to selling their titanium fasteners for bikes, maybe they could share a current link?

Not to try to derail your search for these little washers, but I have a follow up Hollowgram crank/BB30 bottom bracket question: is each Hollowgram crank (double road, triple road, triple mountain) only have ONE axle/spacer configuration or are there a number of ways of doing it?
Old 10-22-22, 02:38 PM
dongo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Let us know how it goes.
Not to try to derail your search for these little washers, but I have a follow up Hollowgram crank/BB30 bottom bracket question: is each Hollowgram crank (double road, triple road, triple mountain) only have ONE axle/spacer configuration or are there a number of ways of doing it?
I believe that each Hollowgram spindle/BB combination has one configuration that works. If you search for "Cannondale Hollowgram Installation" *images* you can see all of the different configurations and exactly what goes where. I just replaced the PF30s on 2 of my Cannondales and I was fortunate because on the non-drive side the spindle had that lip that limits exactly how far it comes out on that side so you just put the bearing shield on then tighten that side. On the drive side you put the bearing shield, 1-4 of the 0.5mm spacers, a wave washer and then the crank, but depending on the spindle length you may need spacers. Again though, that is in the diagram for your configuration. In my case on one bike I needed 1 0.5mm spacer and on the other I needed 3, but when you get it right and the wave washer is just about 1/2 compressed it's a thing of beauty.

If you are using the original spindle and cranks it should go very smoothly. This time I used the Wheels Manufacturing PF30 BBs and those things are awesome they thread in the middle so there is ZERO play when you are done, and presumably because of that the bearings will last longer. Better than the SRAM PF30 BB IMO cause I've had issues with those two times, even if they are 1/2 the price.

Good luck!
Likes For dongo:
Old 10-22-22, 04:46 PM
masi61

Titanium Chainring Bolts, Titanium Crank Bolts, KCNC Chainring Parts

here is the webpage where I saw the washers. Maybe you could email the person to see if he still has some.
Old 10-22-22, 04:54 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Titanium Chainring Bolts, Titanium Crank Bolts, KCNC Chainring Parts

here is the webpage where I saw the washers. Maybe you could email the person to see if he still has some.
Nice find!
They are on the page you provided "Hollowgram Titanium Crank Washer' $2/ea

Barry

EDIT: Oh, my bad, The store is CLOSED.
Go to the home page for the CLOSED message and warning.

Last edited by Barry2; 10-22-22 at 05:02 PM.
Likes For Barry2:
Old 10-22-22, 05:01 PM
masi61

Nice find!
They are on the page you provided "Hollowgram Titanium Crank Washer' $2/ea

Barry
It appears that this is an old web page though. Maybe somebody can email them to see if they are still obtainable. Because if you try to navigate this link, I don't believe the option exists to actually purchase these items.
Old 10-23-22, 08:38 PM
dongo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks bro, great find! I just ordered a bunch.
Likes For dongo:
Old 10-24-22, 04:36 AM
masi61

Thanks bro, great find! I just ordered a bunch.

No problem, so the order went through?
Old 10-29-22, 02:08 PM
dongo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No problem, so the order went through?
The order appeared to go through, my PayPal account was charged, but then I was refunded yesterday with no other explanation. So yeah, I guess the store is CLOSED.
Old 10-30-22, 05:30 AM
masi61

The order appeared to go through, my PayPal account was charged, but then I was refunded yesterday with no other explanation. So yeah, I guess the store is CLOSED.

Bummer, I was hoping it would go through for you.
Old 10-30-22, 06:37 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 456 Posts

Still might be worth attempting to contact the source via e-mail if the old site has email contact info.

Or phoning them, if the site lists phone contact info.
Old 11-20-22, 05:51 PM
dongo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just an update: I measured the ID and OD of the Cannondale washer and found some online that are the same, except thicker - prob 4x thicker. Fit great though and definitely does the job. I got like 50 for $3, so better than buying a bolt set for $25 just to get 2 Cannondale ones.
Old 11-20-22, 06:11 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Source

dongo
So post the link for the next guy !

Barry
Old 11-20-22, 09:41 PM
dongo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
dongo
So post the link for the next guy !

Barry
sure I don't see the listing anymore on eBay but you can search for "21mm ID 25mm OD Copper Washer". Those are the precise measurements of the washer itself and you just want as thin as possible. I think the ones i got are 0.5mm thick, which is a lot thicker than the C'dale one, but fits fine.
Old 11-21-22, 09:09 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
sure I don't see the listing anymore on eBay but you can search for "21mm ID 25mm OD Copper Washer". Those are the precise measurements of the washer itself and you just want as thin as possible. I think the ones i got are 0.5mm thick, which is a lot thicker than the C'dale one, but fits fine.
Those are reasonably common sealing washers mostly used for applications where sealing a liquid is needed and can be found at various places including some auto parts stores if you wanted to get them without waiting for shipping. Probably OK for your purpose but the copper is softer than the original steel washer and can continue to compress after putting some miles in and may result in crank bolt loosening eventually. As I said, probably OK for your cranks but check them, if possible, after some miles just to be sure.
Old 11-21-22, 09:35 AM
dongo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Those are reasonably common sealing washers mostly used for applications where sealing a liquid is needed and can be found at various places including some auto parts stores if you wanted to get them without waiting for shipping. Probably OK for your purpose but the copper is softer than the original steel washer and can continue to compress after putting some miles in and may result in crank bolt loosening eventually. As I said, probably OK for your cranks but check them, if possible, after some miles just to be sure.
That's tight copper is a soft metal, but it won't continue to compress after tightening. In fact it's this type of washer used in automotive applications for things like banjo bolts on a turbo so you get perfect sealing when fluids and pressure are involved (i.e. they compress, or "crush" to conform to the surfaces they are tightened against). I also don't think it's as easy as you think to find something in this size. I looked all over and it's not a standard size (25mm OD, 21mm ID, ~0.1 thickness), that's why the shop in Toronto was charging $5 per washer, or whatever it was.
Old 11-22-22, 11:48 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
That's tight copper is a soft metal, but it won't continue to compress after tightening. In fact it's this type of washer used in automotive applications for things like banjo bolts on a turbo so you get perfect sealing when fluids and pressure are involved (i.e. they compress, or "crush" to conform to the surfaces they are tightened against). I also don't think it's as easy as you think to find something in this size. I looked all over and it's not a standard size (25mm OD, 21mm ID, ~0.1 thickness), that's why the shop in Toronto was charging $5 per washer, or whatever it was.
Try a well stocked Hydraulics Rebuild shop... or a Farm Tractor dealership with Old tractors sitting around... Construction/Earth Mover Equipment too. Older dealerships have an amazing stash of such things.... and a Transmission shop would be worth talking to.... or an old M/C wrecking yard.... tranny shims and thrust washers.

and that "$5" quote is not that bad....i've seen worse prices for a single small, not-common, part.

Last edited by maddog34; 11-22-22 at 11:53 PM.