Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sweat from helmet gets into eyes. Any solutions?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-01-22, 09:12 PM
AJW2W11E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts

Now that it's finally warmed up here in the PNW, I have sweat coming down from my helmet like a waterfall Wasn't a problem last summer because I was still a beginner.
Now that I can finally handle longer faster rides, it's a big issue. The sweat is a different pH then the eye, and I end up with scary red eyes after every ride. Tried a headband and it didn't solve the issue.
After 30 days of pain, today I actually rode today without my helmet. That same helmet prevented mee from a concussion or worse last month when I lost control and hit a wall head on. I also ditched my goggles so I could a hanky on my eyes once in a while More than once those goggles keep branches on a trail from hitting my eyes.
Anything I can do?
Old 07-01-22, 09:18 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Wear a wicking cycling cap under your helmet (not cotton). The material helps move sweat from the skin so it can evaporate, and the edge of the brim directs sweat away from your face.

*Sweat droplets are for illustration purposes only. Rider is on a closed course.

Last edited by Rolla; 07-01-22 at 09:33 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-01-22, 09:20 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 750 Posts
I wear a lightweight skull cap. It has a front absorbent strip built in, but the whole thing, I thnk, soaks up and/or facilitates evaporation and therefore keeps the sweat from running down my face. I have several, of various weights, with some being extremely light weight. But none of them make my head feel hotter.

Assuming you use sunscreen on your face, maybe try a different brand. We use a specific variation for "faces" and it definitely doesn't sting as much (not at all) when I sweat compared to when I use regular sunscreen on my face. My stinging eyes is almost exclusively from the sunscreen being washed into my eyes from sweat.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 07-01-22, 09:31 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2716 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 2,024 Posts
https://www.rei.com/product/184486/p...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 07-01-22, 09:32 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,364 Times in 2,796 Posts
I use a Halo headband which has moisture absorption plus a channel to divert remaining moisture away from your eyes. As opposed to a skull cap, your head can still breathe. Great product. https://store.haloheadband.com/

Old 07-01-22, 09:43 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I use a Halo headband which has moisture absorption plus a channel to divert remaining moisture away from your eyes. As opposed to a skull cap, your head can still breathe. Great product. https://store.haloheadband.com/
Another endorsement of the Halo here. Been using for more than ten years.
Sometimes tuck a spare in my jersey pocket to swap out midride.
Keep these washed - like every couple rides - and routinely wash your helmet, as well.
The only downside is the indentation it leaves on my forehead for up to an hour. lol
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 07-01-22, 10:36 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 750 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I'm going to check out the Halo. But not to be argumentative but lightweight cycling skull caps don't inhibit "breathing" of the head. The ones I use freely wick sweat to dissipate through the helmet's vents, probably more than without, and aren't noticeably hotter than without - to me. But I rarely ride warmer than 80-85F. I also wear them to protect my thinning pate from the harmful rays of the sun.

This is one example. I have a couple of even lighter ones but can't remember the make/model.
PEARL iZUMi Transfer Lite Skull Cap (competitivecyclist.com)

Oooh, oooh, while searching for this link, I see halo makes a skull cap. I'm going to try one!
Likes For Camilo:
Old 07-01-22, 10:56 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

You can be argumentative. Appears to be a BF tradition.

Hope that skull caps works for you.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-02-22, 04:44 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Wear sunsleeves and use it to wipe the sweat off your face. Ofc, it only works if you're not wearing anything over your eyes.
Old 07-02-22, 06:00 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,286 Posts
I just can't believe that people can't solve a simple problem without going on internet and starting a thread about it...Hats, bandanas, skull caps...you have tons of options out there.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 07-02-22, 06:22 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 393 Posts
In Southern Arizona as rsbob says a Halo can keep your glasses clean, it and the Helmet get a lite spay of mild cleaner and a rinse every ride.
Old 07-02-22, 07:10 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I cannot stand skull caps. Wearing a hat under a helmet in the sun is just stupid. Bandana? Only on dumpster diving days.

I found the Lazer G1 Mips helmet pad in the front to absorb a lot of sweat. Periodically, I push the helmet into the forehead to squeeze the sweat out letting it fall to the ground.

Or get a recumbent.
Old 07-02-22, 07:17 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 819 Posts
Been wearing a Halo headband for a few years...The 'rubber' barrier strip works great. On long rides on really hot days I also wear a wicking head cap on top of that. It helps keep my head cooler through evaporation and keeps my bald head from getting burnt through the helmet vent holes.

BTW DO NOT DRY THE HALO HEADBAND IN THE DRYER...especial on high...the 'rubber' strip will detatch.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 07-02-22, 07:35 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
I, too, went with the Halo after someone here recommended it in some thread or other. But I have also overwhelmed it when out hiking like this last week. I perspire (polite for SWEAT!!!) profusely and it can overwhelm even the Halo. I stop remove, wring out, reapply and keep SWEATING.

After I get home I wet it down, add a drop of dish soap, massage and thoroughly rinse.

I do have the sun screen problem mentioned so I tend to apply below the eyes. If someone has a recommendation for a non-stinging version, I'd appreciate that. My dermatologist frowns at my forehead.
Old 07-02-22, 07:54 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Cycling cap. Pretty old school and simple.
Old 07-02-22, 08:20 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 239 Posts
I have a very thin headband that works to keep sweat out of my eyes as long as I make sure it's down just above my eyebrows. And the weather here in Shanghai is hot and humid, so I sweat a LOT in summer.
Old 07-02-22, 08:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
SweatVac is what I use, but a Halo, the PI skull cap, even a dew rag or anything else probably works just as well. I like the full head covering though as before I started using the SweatVac my scalp was getting tanned in the pattern of the holes in my helmet. I found that I was actually cooler with the full head covering too.

It looks stupid, but it seems to help if the front edge of it is pulled right down to the eyebrows. Also it seems that riding with glasses that have a narrow height to them seems to also help. Maybe that promotes better airflow to aid in evaporation of the sweat instead of big wide lenses blocking the airflow.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-02-22, 09:35 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by kahn

I do have the sun screen problem mentioned so I tend to apply below the eyes. If someone has a recommendation for a non-stinging version, I'd appreciate that. My dermatologist frowns at my forehead.
Nothing too terribly wrong with being polite. I have been known to slip up and be nice.

One thing I have learned about sweat and skin oil is to:

First thoroughly wash your eye lids and forehead (especially the lids) with soap and water before applying sunscreen.
Second, I use Trader Joe’s sunscreen spray on face, arms, legs, neck. It is always one of the top rated sunscreens for effectiveness and lack of harmful chemicals. Best part is that is super easy to apply and rub in.

Good luck

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-02-22, 10:14 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4730 Post(s)
Liked 3,831 Times in 2,491 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Another endorsement of the Halo here. Been using for more than ten years.
Sometimes tuck a spare in my jersey pocket to swap out midride.
Keep these washed - like every couple rides - and routinely wash your helmet, as well.
The only downside is the indentation it leaves on my forehead for up to an hour. lol
I get headaches from that indentation so I flip the cap around. Fortunately I don't sweat tons.

Two tricks to eye comfort on hot and humid days - Aloe Gator Gel sunscreen which doesn't run at all and a low salt diet. Eat little enough salt and you don't put salt in your sweat. That sweat in your eyes doesn't sting. (This isn't a short term solution. You have to start the low salt many months before those hot days or you simply keel over from sodium depletion. It is also virtually impossible in the US eating standard foods. I did it as a racer 45 years ago with a very careful diet and virtually no processed foods. This doesn't work for potassium so you still have to eat those bananas.)

Edit: That Aloe Gator Gel - I've applied it on my eyelids and all around my eyes. Only ride issue - remember to be careful rubbing those eyes! But with that and good sunglasses (not wraparound riding glasses) my eyes and area around feel like they haven't even seen the high summer sun.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 07-02-22 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-02-22, 10:27 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18302 Post(s)
Liked 4,470 Times in 3,326 Posts
I just like plain cotton sweat bands. Generic Branded. My preference is the smooth T-Shirt material.

If I'm commuting or doing errands, I'll just hang it on the handlebars when I stop. Nobody seems to bother them. Then at every stop, rotate to get a dry spot above the forehead.
Old 07-02-22, 10:35 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I cannot stand skull caps. Wearing a hat under a helmet in the sun is just stupid. Bandana? Only on dumpster diving days.

I found the Lazer G1 Mips helmet pad in the front to absorb a lot of sweat. Periodically, I push the helmet into the forehead to squeeze the sweat out letting it fall to the ground.

Or get a recumbent.

"just stupid" ?
Mocking the suggestion because you don't agree is "just stupid"
Likes For frogman:
Old 07-02-22, 10:40 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,979 Times in 1,413 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I just can't believe that people can't solve a simple problem without going on internet and starting a thread about it...Hats, bandanas, skull caps...you have tons of options out there.
I know. It’s almost like some people want to just get other people’s wisdom…without expending any effort or without wasting time trying solutions that don’t work. Some people! Sarcasm off.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 07-02-22, 11:08 AM
Pinelander
Roadie

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
+1 on Halo, and I keep plain ice water in my second bottle for an occasional squirt thru the helmet vents. The insulated Camelbak bottles hold ice for 2+ hours.
Old 07-02-22, 11:14 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Online tough-guy posturing is probably among the most harmless ways to compensate for one's real-life impotence. Still laughable, though.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-02-22, 11:33 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 1,160 Times in 676 Posts
apparently i am a dumpster diver. oh well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.