Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tire Quality -- Continental now made in India -- Who makes quality tires these days?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tire Quality -- Continental now made in India -- Who makes quality tires these days?

Old 08-31-22, 10:52 AM
brycenesbitt

Bikes: Various!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sigh. For years I've bought Continental tires, and they've served me well. Puncture resistant, long wearing.
But now apparently, they're made in India, and the reviews are terrible (check out Amazon reviews for "Continental Ride Tour City/Trekking Bicycle Tire, 26x1.75" for example).

Is there a website or recommendation site that tests tires for longevity, consistency or quality?

The "Bicycle Rolling Resistance" site does this for hard core racers concerned about rolling resistance, but they don't touch issues of durability, puncture resistance, gravel riding or whatever relevant to City and utility bikes.

Does Schwalbe still make their own tires?
Old 08-31-22, 11:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
The last pair of Top Contact II tires I bought said they were made in Germany. Website says the same:

continental bicycle Top CONTACT II (continental-tires.com)

I have only ever toured on them or their predecessor, the Top Touring II.

I believe some models are made in India.

Last edited by indyfabz; 08-31-22 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-31-22, 11:45 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
I can't speak for that particular model. Doing a quick search, it appears that Continental acquired Modi Tyres in 2011. Modi Tyres has been manufacturing tires in India since the 70's and has collaborated with Continental decades ago on truck tires. They recently a new passenger tire designed for India. Based on this, I can't imagine that there would be any difficulties producing an urban bicycle tire. I do think that supply issues have weighed heavily and materials may have been substituted as with a lot of products.

Years ago I used to ride Vittoria Zaffiro tires and every one of them cracked on the sidewalls. I ride Vittoria Rubino Pros and have never had an issue. I can't say the cause of the issue, but it is pretty easy to move on without dismissing an entire brand.

John
Old 08-31-22, 11:45 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
I'm a little flummoxed by the implication that bike tired manufactured in India are somehow suspect. I mean, making bike tires is not exactly rocket surgery.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-31-22, 11:53 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,723 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm a little flummoxed by the implication that bike tired manufactured in India are somehow suspect. I mean, making bike tires is not exactly rocket surgery.
I would have no problem believing that just about anything made in Germany is probably better than anything made in India. Except Indian food, maybe.
Likes For smd4:
Old 08-31-22, 11:54 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by smd4
I would have no problem believing that just about anything made in Germany is probably better than anything made in India. Except Indian food, maybe.
Why?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-31-22, 12:02 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 422 Posts
Running your search on Amazon gives me a first page of 48 tires. Seven are rated 5 stars, one is rated 4 stars, and forty are rated at 4 and a half stars. I'm sure some awful reviews are in there too, but my own experiences rate the three types I've bought (25mm Gatorskin, 35mm Terra Speed, and 25mm Giro tubulars) fairly high. One of the 5 Giros has a removable valve core that wont come out. The Terra Speeds are only 360 grams for a 35mm knobby, but they can be hard to mount - I use Schwalbe lubricant to get them to seat right. Those are the extent of my complaints about the 13 Continental tires I've purchased. Somehow, I doubt where they're made caused either of them.
Old 08-31-22, 12:05 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Koyote
Why?
Because work done by unskilled laborers making 15 cents a day probably isn't of the best quality. Common sense.
Old 08-31-22, 12:13 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Because work done by unskilled laborers making 15 cents a day probably isn't of the best quality. Common sense.
How much quality are you willing to afford, for a glorified garden hose?
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-31-22, 12:20 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 422 Posts
According to https://biz30.timedoctor.com/average-salary-in-india/, the minimum wage in India varies by location, from $8/day in New Delhi, to $4/day in rural areas. Common prejudice, more like.
Old 08-31-22, 12:23 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Uninformed rhetoric, perhaps, but defiantly not common sense.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 08-31-22, 12:42 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by brycenesbitt
"Continental Ride Tour City/Trekking Bicycle Tire, 26x1.75" for example).
Low sales volume tire. Wouldn't surprise me if it's made in India.
Likes For prj71:
Old 08-31-22, 12:45 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I wasn't aware, but there is a Conti plant nearby to us in a small town. We passed it while out touring and had no idea about it being there. Don't know what they make, but given the size of the location figure it is probably some part or aspect being sent elsewhere as part of construction, etc.

edit, lol. From their website: "Continental Tire of Barnesville manufactures tire cord fabric for Continental Tire"
Old 08-31-22, 12:52 PM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
Recently purchased some Schwalbe tires, they were made in Vietnam. They are well made.
Old 08-31-22, 12:54 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO

Years ago I used to ride Vittoria Zaffiro tires and every one of them cracked on the sidewalls. I ride Vittoria Rubino Pros and have never had an issue. I can't say the cause of the issue, but it is pretty easy to move on without dismissing an entire brand.

John
I used Rubino Pros for years and was always happy with them. Recently they added "Graphene" something to the compound and there are red letters proclaiming that on the sidewalls. Every one of those that I have used has dry rotted and cracked to the point it looks unsafe. Even on the rear where I don't expect a lot of mileage, they are badly cracked by the time they wear out.

I tried their Corsa soft compound tires a few years ago and big chunks of rubber came off while riding.
Old 08-31-22, 12:55 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Uninformed rhetoric, perhaps, but defiantly not common sense.
Hey, I get all my high-quality stuff from China and India! Watches, bikes, tires, cars--you name it!
Old 08-31-22, 01:02 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2430 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
Hey, I get all my high-quality stuff from China and India! Watches, bikes, tires, cars--you name it!
Don't forget smart phones and computers!!
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 08-31-22, 01:15 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I tried their Corsa soft compound tires a few years ago and big chunks of rubber came off while riding.
Best ride quality I have ever had in a clincher (feels like a tubular to me), but it seems like a grain of sand punctures them.
Old 08-31-22, 01:42 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Best ride quality I have ever had in a clincher (feels like a tubular to me), but it seems like a grain of sand punctures them.
The last one I had come apart was on Angeles Crest after they did that nasty chip seal. A section of the tread area over an inch long and half an inch wide just came off.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-31-22, 01:44 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Hardly surprising you would not have such a problem.
Likes For badger1:
Old 08-31-22, 01:45 PM
badger1

You seem intent here (and in other threads) on getting into 'political' comment, however thinly disguised. There is a board for that here (P&R); why not apply for access?
Likes For badger1:
Old 08-31-22, 02:00 PM
Koyote

That's common ignorance with a side order of xenophobia...Not common sense.
Old 08-31-22, 02:14 PM
badger1

Continental and Schwalbe both make first-rate bicycle tires, at varying price points. Continentals are manufactured either in Germany (the high-end ones), or elsewhere in various locations: https://www.continental-tires.com/bi...utsche-technik

Schwalbe bicycle tires are all manufactured in Indonesia: https://www.schwalbe.com/en/reifenaufbau

I don't for the life of me see how, or why, any of this is an issue. No different than any other company that markets product on a more-or-less global scale.
Old 08-31-22, 02:27 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by badger1
You seem intent here (and in other threads) on getting into 'political' comment, however thinly disguised. There is a board for that here (P&R); why not apply for access?
Complete and utter nonsense. But I digress.

I'll take my Veloflex tires handmade in Italy any day.

Thanks for playing.
Likes For smd4:
Old 08-31-22, 02:31 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I used Rubino Pros for years and was always happy with them. Recently they added "Graphene" something to the compound and there are red letters proclaiming that on the sidewalls. Every one of those that I have used has dry rotted and cracked to the point it looks unsafe. Even on the rear where I don't expect a lot of mileage, they are badly cracked by the time they wear out.

Originally Posted by urbanknight
I've had good luck with the Corsa G+ tires. That ride and flats, yes, but not a lot. Those Vittorias are further in the tradeoff of characteristics toward road grip and hence try to pick up more debris than the Contis I have ridden. I'll stick to the Vitts for that reason. Loss of road grip at the wrong time = one more crash for this worn out body.

Vittoria makes its tires in China, but not as subbed out work. They bought (or had constructed; I forget which) a plant, hired the work crew and have full oversight over all aspects of their tire construction. Their Corsa G+, while expensive, are a pure joy to ride. Outside of sidewall color choices, nothing that isn't (to my mind) not right. And they bailed me out of at least one crash. I am now switching over to sewups, but where possible sticking to those Corsa G+. I see no change at all except now that wonderful casing is sewn properly and straight into a sewup. Ride is the wonderful magic carpet of high end sewups.

I just put Conti Giros on my latest bike because 24c is absolute max on that old racing machine. 22c because that was all I could get. Low enough pressure to make the ride sorta "nice" is getting way to close to dented rims on road hazards (with brand new build NOS and new GEL330s). With my old race pressures of a tire that small; bouncy and scary. I'm building much heavier GP4 wheels for that bike to tide it over until I can get some really nice Vitts or the like in 23c and be able to ride sufficient pressure for those rims in comfort.
Likes For 79pmooney:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.