Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Carrying Cash on Tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Carrying Cash on Tour

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-21, 03:04 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 178 Posts
Visiting Argentina in 2017, I found getting money from ATMs more obnoxious. Here are notes I wrote in my journal:

Argentinian ATMs are not my favorite. There is a maximum limit of 2000 Pesos (a little over $100) that can be pulled at one time. Regardless of what one pulls, there is a fee of ~105 pesos at each ATM (over 5%!). The ATMs are good about having bilingual instructions between Spanish and English. What they aren’t good at is clear messages when there is no cash available. Sometimes it says “incorrect amount” and less often it will tell you no cash. I don’t need a lot of cash, but only about half the hotels seem to take credit cards so one needs to have enough cash for a few days of hotels – in case all the ones in towns are out of money.

I am sure the limits change as the exchange rates have varied, but a quick search shows I was not alone in this issue.